Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help. BSOD's when using Dual Channel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help. BSOD's when using Dual Channel!

My Specs are below

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail (REV 1.1 | BIOS F12)

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

MSI N9400GT-MD1G GeForce 9400 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail

Rosewill Green Series RG630-2 630W Continuous @40?C,80 PLUS Certified,Active PFC"Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply - Retail

1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.00GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model

RUNNING WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL 64-BIT

I can use the Memory modules in Single channel perfectly fine with great performance. But I would like to utilize the benefits of Dual Channel. But however every time I using either 1&3 or 2&4, the computer will start and eventually BSOD (while I'm doing something). I came to the forum, updated my BIOS, tried most BIOS tweaks recommended. When I spike my DRAM Voltage to 2.100 my computer won't boot up.

I have posted as many details as I can below!

Appreciate any and all help!

AND I NOTICED SOMETHING JUST NOW! I BOUGHT F2-8500CL5D-4GBPQ but in Speccy and CPU-z it shows up as F2-8500CL5D-2GBPQ
    Last edited by ag993; 03-06-2010, 12:07 PM.

Well I can answer the last part of your post.....you are reading whats populated in the particular slot, 4GBPQ will show as 2GBPQ in each slot. For the rest of the post I will leave that up to the Pros here!!

Comment

@ Dumaine

Thanks for the help!

waiting for someone to help me with the big problem!

Comment

well something to try is to add a tick or 2 on the voltage........I see in Easy Tune its 1.984v so it might not be getting the proper 2.0v...sounds minimal yet it can make a difference

Comment

@Dumaine

well, I tried with all voltages and when I raised it all the way to 2.1 it will get stuck in a constant reboot cycle.

Comment

was worth a try, I would go back and load optimized defaults, then manually reset the timings and voltages making sure Performance was on Turbo or Standard...if that dont work then you would have to wait on Tradesman ( who might get on sometime this evening) or GSkill Tech ( who you prolly wont see till sometime monday thru friday)........btw.. did you try to add a tick on the MCH and also try raising the tRFC (might have to try lowering it a lil as well)

Comment

@ Dumaine

Appreciate the help! But I tried resetting to optimized and fail-safe defaults too. I even tried the Turbo and Standard mode. (Only one I didn't is extreme because I was worried it might be a bit too EXTREME)

I tried various combination and so forth that I could find somewhat relevant to my scenario!
              Last edited by ag993; 03-06-2010, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Are the sticks in slots 1-3? If so, you may want to try 2-4.
                Are the timings, Command Rate, DRAM Voltage and tRFC input manually? (don't use auto on these).
                Have you tried running memtest on each stick individually to ensure both sticks are good?
                May need to increase NB voltage by .05 to .1 (and possibly vCore voltage by about .05)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

@ Tradesman

I tried the sticks in 1&3 and also 2&4! I'll run memtest on each stick separately and post the results later on. I used auto on the timings, because I wasn't sure what to change to what. And what is NB voltage? and wouldn't increasing the vCore voltage be overclocking the CPU?

I apolgize if any of my questions are dumb, i'm a recently certified technician but this is the first time im dealing with this kind of problem.

Comment

Most classes, courses, etc don't really get into RAM timings very extensively, especially the last couple of years as it can very so much, even among the same sets of sticks with teh same models of mobo, Take 4 of the same mobos and you may end up running two or more sets of timings between them using the same two sticks. You are looking at infinitesimal small differences in t6olerances that occur between the same boards and sticks (down to hundredths and thousands). I've worked with a number of acredited techs (and a number of university level professors and instructors) on RAM issues.....and it just gets harder as the speeds grow and the JEDEC Standards are surpassed and left behind.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

so do you have any suggestions as to where should I start? because the last thing I want is something to blow up. I just got done running Memtest86 in Slot one for both sticks. Now running them in slot 2! will post the results soon along with my BIOS configuration.

Thank again!

Comment

Memtest and BIOS

Alright so here are the test results with my BIOS settings!

NOTE: ALL TESTS WERE DONE USING MEMTEST 86 V.3.5 MULTI-CPU

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEST#1 | Ram A | Slot 1 |

TEST#2 | Ram B | Slot 1 |

TEST#3 | Ram A | Slot 2 |

TEST#4 | Ram B | Slot 2 |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Last edited by ag993; 03-07-2010, 11:41 AM.

Comment

BIOS SETTINGS

Comment

Comment

Set Extreme Memory Profile to Disabled, other than that, everything else looks good.

With two sticks in slot 1 and 2, or two sticks in slot 3 and 4, what are the results? If they work in single channel and not dual, sounds like the motherboard is defective.

Thank you
                              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                              X