• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8GB of F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK on Asus P5Q Pro Turbo

Hi folks,

First off, the details:

Asus P5Q Pro Turbo
    F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK memory 2 packages (8GB tatal - 4 x 2GB dimms)
    Intel Q9400 2.6GHz QC proc

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten this to at 8gb to run stable at 1066? If so, what are your timings? I'm looking for full timings for THIS board...because I just setting 5-5-5-15-2T at 2.1V doesnt work for me. That works at 800...but not at 1066 (I get a crash when stress testing with Prime95 at 1066).

Also, I'm having a strange issue with wake that I've outlined over in the asus forum here:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

I'm wondering if it's related to memory timings or something...so if anyone has any thoughts on full timings for THIS board (either at 1066 or 800), I'd love to try them.

The reason I'm adament about THIS board, is that I've gone through the stickies, which don't have the board called out specifically, and tried about all of them, and I have yet to make the situation better (but I can easily make it worse :-D). So I'm hoping that someone with this exact board/memory combo can chime in and let me know if they are having the same problem, and whether memory timing is the culprit here, or if it's something else.

Thanks in advance!!

JP

Raise NB Voltage to 1.40V and that should solve the instability. The memory controller can be overloaded with 4 sticks.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks...sorry, I thought I mentioned that, but I re-read my original post, and I must have forgot and left that out. I have NB at 1.4... Still locks up when I launch Prime95 everytime at 1066...800 it runs fine.

JP

Comment

What's your tRFC at? If your BIOS version shows tRFC in nano-seconds (ns) you'll want 195 if it's just in clicks then about 86-88

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Post up screen shots of your BIOS and we can see what you may have set incorrectly.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Here is what I have right now. I have been running DRAM Frequency of DDR2-800, with tRFC set to Auto, but just changed this based on above comments, I haven't tested this for stability yet:

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual
            CPU Ratio Setting - Auto
            FSB Frequency - 333
            PCIE Frequency - 100
            FSB Strap to North Bridge - Auto
            DRAM Frequency - DDR2-1066
            tCL - 5 DRAM Clocks
            tRCD - 5 DRAM Clocks
            tRP - 5 DRAM Clocks
            tRAS - 15 DRAM Clocks
            tRRD - Auto
            tRFC - 85 DRAM Clocks
            tWR - Auto
            tRTP - Auto
            tRTW - Auto
            tWTR_S - Auto
            tWRT_D - Auto
            tRTR_S - Auto
            tRTR_D - Auto
            tWTW_S - Auto
            tWTW_D - Auto
            tWTPD - Auto
            tRTPD - Auto
            tPTPD - Auto
            tAPTAD - Auto
            tAPTRD - Auto
            DRAM Static Read Control - Auto
            DRAM Read Training - Auto
            MEM OC Charger - Auto
            AI Clock Twister - Auto
            AI Transaction Booster - Auto
            CPU Voltage - Auto
            CPU GTL Reference - Auto
            CPU PLL Voltage - Auto (States 1.5v)
            FSB Termination Voltage - Auto (States 1.10v due to 45nm CPU)
            DRAM Voltage - 2.10
            NB Voltage - 1.40
            SB Voltage - Auto (States 1.10v)
            PCIE Sata Voltage - Auto (States 1.5v)
            Load-Line Calibration - Auto
            CPU Spread Spectrum - Auto
            PCIE Spread Spectrum - Auto
            CPU Clock Skew - Auto
            CPU Margin Enhancement - Optimized

Also, all the settings on this board for timings are in DRAM Clock, I didn't see any in ns (just FYI ;-D).

Thanks again!

JP
            Last edited by petey305; 02-25-2010, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I should note, that in my BIOS, I have no option (that I see) for Command Rate, but CPUID-Z shows that it is running at 2T...so that's probably ok...

Comment

2T is good, if it shows instability might need to raise the tRFC just a bit more 87-88

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman....

I have Memtest running right now...hopefully that will all show stable. I'm on the east coast, and it's midnight now, so I'll know in the morning.

Unfortunately, 85 is the closest I can get on tRFC...this MB has fixed increments, and it jumps from 85 to 105 DRAM clocks. With any luck...it's no issue anyway and memtest will pass. Hopefully it will help fix the weird wake issue I was writing about on the asus forum (linked above)...but who knows, memory timings is a long shot there...no idea if it's truly the culprit or not.

See anything else that I should change at all?

Thanks again for the help!

JP

Comment

well..no luck with the above settings. Memtest ran for 3h50m last night, and passed without error (so it said). I treied to boot up into windows and as the desktop was coming up it froze solid twice, at the exact same spot. dropped the settings down to ddr-800, and it boots fine (memtest passes with this). For reference, here are the ddr-800 settings that are rock solid (basically auto...and yes, I tried mostly auto settings with 1066...no luck):

AI Overclock Tuner
                    - Auto
                    FSB Strap to North Bridge - Auto
                    DRAM Frequency - DDR2-1066
                    tCL - 5 DRAM Clocks
                    tRCD - 5 DRAM Clocks
                    tRP - 5 DRAM Clocks
                    tRAS - 15 DRAM Clocks
                    tRRD - Auto
                    tRFC - Auto
                    tWR - Auto
                    tRTP - Auto
                    tRTW - Auto
                    tWTR_S - Auto
                    tWRT_D - Auto
                    tRTR_S - Auto
                    tRTR_D - Auto
                    tWTW_S - Auto
                    tWTW_D - Auto
                    tWTPD - Auto
                    tRTPD - Auto
                    tPTPD - Auto
                    tAPTAD - Auto
                    tAPTRD - Auto
                    DRAM Static Read Control - Auto
                    DRAM Read Training - Auto
                    MEM OC Charger - Auto
                    AI Clock Twister - Auto
                    AI Transaction Booster - Auto
                    CPU Voltage - Auto
                    CPU GTL Reference - Auto
                    CPU PLL Voltage - Auto (States 1.5v)
                    FSB Termination Voltage - Auto (States 1.10v due to 45nm CPU)
                    DRAM Voltage - 2.10
                    NB Voltage - 1.40
                    SB Voltage - Auto (States 1.10v)
                    PCIE Sata Voltage - Auto (States 1.5v)
                    Load-Line Calibration - Auto
                    CPU Spread Spectrum - Auto
                    PCIE Spread Spectrum - Auto
                    CPU Clock Skew - Auto
                    CPU Margin Enhancement - Optimized

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

JP

Comment

If memtest ran OK, first check that you have the latest BIOS, 0602 (which you prob do), can be found here:

http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=c19zNYHCAXhCqBPq

Next let's try NB at 1.42, DRAM @2.14 (yes it's safe, actually to to about 2.2), tRFC 88.

If still problems what is your vCore, and are you OCing the 9400 any? That would help w/ the 8GB, your 9400 is good for 3 GHz+ on air w/ the stock cooler, even more w/ a decent 3rd party HS.

Tman

Comment

Thanks again Tradesman!

Yup, definitely running 0602...no problem there. I'll give those NB and DRAM voltages a shot. Unfortunatly, I can adjust tRFC much. I can select 85 or the next step is 105...doh!

I'm not overclocking at all, was hoping to get everything stable before I tried anything like that...I know nothing about overclocking, but it's intriguing. I just did some very basic reading on it, and tried a couple of things...mostly adjusting FSB (tried 375, 400 etc) just to play around, and then tried selecting different memory speeds based on options that showed up after fsb changes. I had no luck (but truthfully, it was mostly a crap shoot). I was able to boot into windows with a few tries, but launching Prime95 went right into BSOD...I guess that's what I can expect when just throwin some values in.

Not to move off topic, but any tips or anything for overclocking? maybe some very basic mild overclock settings/strategy? OC is going to take some reading for me to do correctly I think.

Thanks!

JP

Comment

Hello,

I also have 8GB of F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK and Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, but can't make it work with 4 sticks, only with 2 @1066. I have tried 800 and 1066 with 8gb but no luck.

Did you find a solution?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X