F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ finally died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ finally died

I purchased the G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory (Model F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ) from Newegg in August 2007. These modules were absolutely perfect for over two years in my first custom gaming build.

November 2009, my Abit ip35 pro began to error during POST. This motherboard has a built-in LED display of any POST code errors, so I knew almost immediately it was a RAM related issue. I tried everything I could find to get them to POST but I think it was just their time to go.

Having no other sticks to test, I bought a different 2x1GB kit, model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ, as it was the most similar G.SKILL I could find available. These got me through POST immediately and have so far been working wonderfully as a replacement.

I want to add another 2x1GB kit to work with my 2GBNQ, and would like to know:

-Can I still RMA my 2GBHZ kit for new ones?

-Is it advisable to use all four of my DIMM slots for 4GB? (Instead of, for example, a 2GBx2 solution)

-will two different dual-channel kits (2GBHZ and 2GBNQ) work together as 4GB?

-will two of the same dual-channel kits work together?

-if they must be the same, are the two products similar enough that I can RMA my 2GBHZ kit in exchange for 2GBNQ?

I just really don't know very much when it comes to memory. If anyone has some advice on this subject, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
    adam.

Yes, you can still RMA the 2GBHZ kit for new ones.

You should have no problems with 4 sticks in your IP35 Pro motherboard.

Two different dual channel kits may work, but the HZ and NQ voltage differences are too far apart, so you are unlikely to be able to operate them together.

Most of the time, two of the same dual channel kits will work together.

Yes, you can exchange the 2GBHZ for 2GBNQ to match your existing set. Simply email that information to our RMA department along with your RMA Request Form and they will be able to process your request.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
    X