F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK on Asus M4A77D won't boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK on Asus M4A77D won't boot

New thread instead of highjacking someone else's as problem is being resistant

Problem: PC Will boot with ANY of the four sticks in ANY of the four slots. PC will not boot with four sticks. PC will occasionally boot with three sticks. Seems random.

I have trully tried EVERY combination of every pair of RAM in EVERY slot combination. PC boots fine, will overclock like a maniac, completely stable. Add the third stick and it is a crap shoot, add the fourth stick and it is a non-starter. I suppose I could RMA all four sticks of RAM to GSkill and buy two sticks of 4GB but this is just crazy.

Asus M4A77D
    AMD Phenom II 730 X3 (unlocked triple core at 2.8mhz)
    Asus 8800GT graphics card
    4 - F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

Memory settings to manual, timing 533.
    DCT = both (0 & 1)
    TCL = 5
    TRCD = 5
    TRP = 5
    TRAS = 15
    voltage = 2.1

I have set this for both DCT 0 and 1. I have left all other setting in auto...and there are a lot of them!!

I have downloaded and attempted to run Mentest86. It boots to its main menu but then I just get a blinking cursor whether I select single core or multi-core.

I have read the similar thread of the Asus M4A78T-E. It has most of the same mem settings in BIOS but is not an exact match. I was not sure about putting in what fits and leaving other stuff in auto. I cannot find a place to set DRAM Command Rate.

I am a noob on AMD systems yet I got this out of your manual...

Dual-channel memory architecture

4 x 240-pin DIMM slots support maximum 16GB unbuffered ECC
    and non-ECC DDR2 1200(O.C.)/1066/800/667/533MHz memory
    modules
    * We recommend that you install the DDR2 1200(O.C.) DIMMs on
    the blue slots for better performance.
    ** DDR2 1200(O.C.)/1066 is supported by AM3/AM2+ CPU only.
    *** Due to AM3/AM2+ CPU limitation, only one DDR2
    1200(O.C.)/1066 is supported per channel.

edit: SS: Single-sided / DS: Double-sided
    DIMM support:
    • A*: Supports one module inserted into any slot as single-channel memory configuration.
    • B*: Supports one pair of modules inserted into either the blue slots or the black slots
    as one pair of dual-channel memory configuration

SO if I read that correctly it looks like 4 sticks @1066 is not possible on that board..again I am a NOOB on AMD so please dont rip off my head if I am incorrect here......
    Last edited by Dumaine; 02-16-2010, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Duane,
      Yes, I read this too. I had written to Asus. They report that that their board does support four modules as stated in the first line. They told me that I should allow the memory to default to 800mHz on initial boot. I have tried that with four sticks. It doesn't boot. Asus says the "disclaimer" is required because there are AM2+ CPU that will not support four sticks. That doesn't mean all will not. The 730 does.

Comment

Overloaded memory controller.

Increase NB Voltage to 1.40V, you can also try increasing HT Voltage to 1.40V if that does not work.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I'm an active member at the AMD forums, maybe I can help.
          First of all, your first post says you have a Phenom II 730, do you mean a 720?
          Secondly, please run CPU-Z and advise the Stepping and Revision of your CPU.

C2 Stepping - weak/poor memory controller for running two dimms per channel
          C3 Stepping - much improved memory controller, designed with two dimms per channel in mind
          AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
          Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
          ASUS Crosshair V Formula
          2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
          SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
          Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
          Corsair HX850W Modular
          Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
          2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Yep, you called it. I got the C2. Rev 00100F42L

Guess I will RMA it to Newegg.

Comment

YourNemesis007

Good Call

, thanks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I have increased voltages as recommended. No joy.

I can not find a Phenom II 720 with C3 stepping, only 955 and 965s.

Comment

You will simply need to downclock. Good thing is it should be just as fast, if not faster..

DRAM Frequency DDR2-800
                  DRAM Timings tCL 4 - tRCD 4 - tRP 4 - tRAS 12 - Command Rate 2
                  DRAM Voltage 2.0V

Thank you
                  GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Nope. Will not boot with memory in ganged mode. I set the timing as you suggested. I tried two sticks in slot 1a and b. Fans spin but no boot. Next?

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS? Could you post the Bios setting? Might try 800 at 5-5-5-15, Command Rate at 2N, DRAM Voltage 2.1, tRFC at 195, HT voltage 1.4, NB voltage 1.4, and raise CPU (vCore) voltage by .03 from current setting. If this works you can then try either reducing voltages (HT, NB, CPU in that order) or tightening timings possibly to 5-4-4-12 then 4-4-4-12 or on that order.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tradesman,
                        Yes, running latest BIOS. Will try your suggestions and reply later. Thank you!
                        Froggie

Comment

Tradesman,
                          Won't boot with any combination of two sticks of RAM in the ganged (dual channel) positions. I have four sticks of RAM. I can boot with any two sticks in unganged mode (channel A or B). If any two sticks are put in channel A or any two sticks in channel B then fans spin but no beeps and no boot.

Unfortunately I am not able to post attachments. I have a screen shot from AMD Overdrive that would provide all the information you request.

Comment

May have a bad CPU or motherboard if they will not POST in dual channel, only in single.

Thank you
                            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Ah, the old "it must be the other guys fault" solution.

I have RMAed the CPU three times. All the different CPUs have exactly the same issue.

You will have to convince me that a motherboard that operates 100% reliably in every way, over clocks the north bridge or hyperthreading to far above average levels, is defective.

There appear to be many threads around this memory in particular. I believe I should RMA all four sticks for a refund.

Comment

Working...
                              X