P5Q pro turbo + f2-8500CL5D-4GBPK 2x2GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P5Q pro turbo + f2-8500CL5D-4GBPK 2x2GB

I'd appreciate it if you could give me the bios settings for running at 1066 for this board .I just
    built it and it works great but at the default slower speeds .I'm lost in this bios "use to gigabyte "I haven't messed with it at all still all auto settings,after RMA'ing my EP45-UD3P 3 times for ram issues i'm kind happy it works at all.

Thanx in advance gskill .

Q9400-2.67 GHZ__Arctic 7cooler__P5Q pro turbo__gskill 4GBPK 1066__WD cav.blk 620gb__750W Pc power & cooling__XFX HD 4890 __ Lian-Li case K7B_ acer 23"H233H__ XP 32

The PKs should run fine at stock settings with Command Rate/Timing at 2T up through an OC of at least 3 GHz or higher, glad to see you got a new mobo, think you'll like the ASUS

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I't was running at 800MHZ on auto settings,i switched ram freq. to 1066 MHZ and 2.1 volts . seems stable played dirt 2 for an hour max settings without a glitch.When i OC' my cpu to 3.2 what should i adjust for the ram if anything ? My temps with this board are super cool 25* C cpu 27* board right after gaming using everest and PC probe temperatures match. my Gigabyte temps were almost 20* higher.I like this board! Thanx for the tips !

Q9400-2.67 GHZ__Arctic 7cooler__P5Q pro turbo__gskill DDR2 8500__WD cav.blk 620gb__750W Pc power & cooling__XFX HD 4890 __ Lian-Li case K7B_ acer 23"H233H__ XP 32

Comment

If your stable now at 1066, probably won't have to make any adjustments w/ the OC to 3.2 as far as the RAM goes, just keep it at 1066. A suggestion though, don't rush on the OCing, being basically a new build, give your thermal compound a few days to cure before any real OCing. Maybe just a little at a time. If you go jumping around, say from a 1066 FSB to 1600, to 1333, to 1066, to 1450 etc, you'll be changing the temp the CPU is running at, the thermal compound should have time to cure at a fairly standard running temp/

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I agree ,arctic silver 5 dir. say's 200 hr's to break in lol.Iill give it about 50 hr's my temps are really cool now 25*cpu/27* board.I was wondering what's a safe OC for this ram & processor ,i no not to overvolt and to keep temps below maximum.I plan on benchmarking once i reach a stable maximum OC and then backing off to about 3.0 to 3.2 for a gaming profile.Whats the maximum volt for this ram ? 2.2 ? Is their a noticeable difference in speed from OC'ing ? Ive heard mixed reveiws some say it's just for bragging rights "my score is higher than your's sort of thing.My PC already handles every game ive thrown at it, all max settings & max resolution due too my 4890 card .Either way its still fun to see what you can get ,cheers.

Q9400-2.67 GHZ__Arctic 7cooler__P5Q pro turbo__gskill DDR2 8500__WD cav.blk 620gb__750W Pc power & cooling__XFX HD 4890 __ Lian-Li case K7B_ acer 23"H233H__ XP 32

Comment

With your AC7 would say about 3.6, maybe 3.7, but will require a little extra juice at the CPU (not over the max (which is rated at 1.3625, prob want about 1.35 to run 3.6) . A good 24/7 profile would be about 3.2, which should run at default voltage. Your RAMs rated for 2.0-2.1, so it's considered safe up through 2.2, though should be fine w/ your OC at 1066, 2.1. As far as OCing the sticks, you can prob get a little extra, but it won't be anything you'll see....there might be a slight increase in benchmark scores. In todays world, it's different than the old days, it's why take a chance to bust a stick for a slight OC when they have rated 800-900-1066-1100-1200-1333 Speeds, your looking at if sticks set for 1333 fail at the factory, you might get them in 1200 or 1066 set of sticks at your retailer, the sticks are more tightly rated and not really made to OC. The bragging rights thing is very true, I run into it quite often with gamers, they want to run a high 3DMark score or get that extra .1 on their WEI score or something like that...and hey, many people want to push a system to the max, but once you blow a couple of $500+ CPUs or $350 mobos, you start taking things a little slower. Been building since the 80's and had more than my share of clients blow up some really sweet boxes.

Tman

Comment

I agree with you 100% on everything "not like my opinion is worth much".I won't bother going for maximum OC.I will leave ram alone 1066 will work fine ,will 3.2 MHZ on my cpu give me noticeable improvements anywhere other than a benchmark or will it just wear out my processor in 2 years? Arguable question i now but most the opinions ive heard have been overclockers and i'm not sure i agree with there motives.It would be nice to squeeze out more performance if it don't seriously degrade my chip.Whats the best way to OC to 3.2 MHZ with this board if it is worth while ? Cheers ! Thanks for advice .

Comment

Intel CPUs all are grossly understated, I got one of the pre-release B3 Q6600s that has basically run 24/7 since late 2006 for a base 1066/2.4GHz CPU, it has spent the bulk of these last few years at 3 -3.6GHz, I've taken it past it's max voltage on a number of occasions, etc, etc....same with a number of other Intel CPUs, very few of the builds I've made went out at stock specs, most all were OCed and have been raised since then.

Easiest way is just to gradually raise the FSB, if it boots okay let it run for a few hours, same the following day, then raise the FSB a bit more. Take your time unless there's a rush. This way you can run your different apps and push it a bit at each level to find if you do need a bit more juice to the CPU or possibly the NB (doubtful).

Unless you try jumping to a massive OC all at once, you'll have a hard time hurting the CPU

Tman

Comment

Glad to see you purchased probably the best DDR2 motherboard, and everything works fine. The Gigabyte motherboards you were getting were real junk, not sure why none of them worked at all. I told you they were bad though, now you know which tech support is useful and which are not. =)

3.2GHz with that setup will be a fine stable overclock that should last just as long as stock frequency.

Thank you
                  GSKILL SUPPORT
                  Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 01-25-2010, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X