Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PK 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 PC2-F2-8500 & Lanparty DK X38 T2R - Cannot run @ stock properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PK 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 PC2-F2-8500 & Lanparty DK X38 T2R - Cannot run @ stock properly

Hi lads!
    First time poster here so please excuse my noobness :P!

System Specs:
    Motherboard - Lanparty DK x38 T2R
    CPU - Q6600 G0
    Memory - G. Skill PK 8GB (4x 2GB) DDR2 PC2-F2-8500
    Graphics Card - have 2 4870s crossfired

I used to have 4gb ddr2 800 (4x 1gb) and my system was very stable however since I have upgraded to 1066mhz gskill memory I cannot get it stable more than 1 min in prime95 unless I upper the voltage on the memory to something like 2.2-2.350 and then it can run for something like 5-7 mins until on of the workers encounter an error...
    All this @ stock settings if I use 2.1v for the memory I get a BSOD either while win 7 is loading or as soon as I hit the stress test in Prime95.

I used these settings in my BIOS:
    400x8
    400/1066 @ 5-5-5-15 @ 2.3v (tRFC - 80clocks)
    CPU @ 3.2mhz - 1.45v
    NB Vcore - 1.550v

^^ Even with those settings I get one of the workers stopping 5-10 minutes into prime95 stress tests.

To get the system slightly stable I changed the following:
    Ran a lower fsb/ram multiplier so my ram is @ 1003mhz
    lowered the ram to 2.250v
    changed timings to 5-5-5-15

this mobo is just mental for overclocking and has so many options it makes me go crazy!!!!

One thing that was odd though, when I resetted my CMOS and started up and had to adjust all settings when I put the stock settings on the RAM it was running perfectly fine for 12-15 hours straight...
    with ofc 2.1v @ 5-5-5-15 timings..
    until I tried to run my cpu at higher speed (400x9 = 3.6ghz) so I had to reset CMOS and then for some reason I it wouldnt work properly @ stock.. just wondering could my bios have selected the right settings when everything else in Ram timings on auto?

Is my Northbridge or Memory Controller getting stressed out? (Mobo says it can handle up to 16GB) and yes I have updated to the latest BIOS and all Drivers are up to date.

I have tried 2 sticks at a time with all my sticks and it ran perfect @ 2.1v and 5-5-5-15 timings

Any help would be appreciated.. I would just love to get these running @ 1066mhz and 5-5-5-15 timing

Thanks alot for reading this wall of text :P Hopefully I have given sufficient information!

Maspast
    Last edited by maspast; 01-15-2010, 05:59 PM. Reason: more informative title & more info about stuff I tried

May have to raise the tRFC from 80 to 88 for 8GB to work. Voltage at 2.1 for the DRAM. Stock 5-5-5-15 timings. Didn't see what your vCore is, but the Q6600 is a native 1066 MHz, running it at 1600 you'll probably want to raise vCore to 1.425 or better......and don't do it with the stock cooler, will want an aftermarket cooler i.e. Zalman, Freezer Pro etc.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      May have to raise the tRFC from 80 to 88 for 8GB to work. Voltage at 2.1 for the DRAM. Stock 5-5-5-15 timings. Didn't see what your vCore is, but the Q6600 is a native 1066 MHz, running it at 1600 you'll probably want to raise vCore to 1.425 or better......and don't do it with the stock cooler, will want an aftermarket cooler i.e. Zalman, Freezer Pro etc.
      I will try what you have suggested after this post..
      my Q6600 is on 1.45v atm and my cooler is an Arctic Cooler 7.. so temps are nice n low.

Comment

CPU should be okay then, if troubles continue after the earlier steps try adding .1 to the nb Voltage

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ive tried that and sadly I get blue screens / freezes and I pushed the NB all the way to 1.6v-1.7v and didnt see any improvement

Comment

Do you have Command Rate at 2T? May have to experiment with the tRFC, the 6600 @ 3.6 can be a bear to get set up w/ 8GB, an option might be to drop to a 1333 FSB and get it stable there then work your way up. Also may want to run Memtest on each stick individually to see if you may have gotten a bad stick

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
              Do you have Command Rate at 2T? May have to experiment with the tRFC, the 6600 @ 3.6 can be a bear to get set up w/ 8GB, an option might be to drop to a 1333 FSB and get it stable there then work your way up. Also may want to run Memtest on each stick individually to see if you may have gotten a bad stick
              I cannot find where the command rate at 2T is only similar option I have is T2 dispatch no idea if thats similar though, I may have to start from 333 fsb.. will I loose alot of performance as compared to 400fsb? Im not too sure how much the FSB helps performance wise.
              Last edited by maspast; 01-17-2010, 04:36 PM. Reason: mentioned the wrong option

Comment

FSB is the biggie in increasing performance, but normally if you can get it stable at 1333 (which = 3.0GHZ) with your Q6600, you can ease it back up to 1600 (3.6GHz) with slight RAM adjustments.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X