Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory replacement for Dell inspiron 6400 Centrino Duo

Hi,

I want to give a second life to my 3 years old laptop with windows 7.
    I was wondering what memory should i buy, but i read some conflicting facts all around.
    I think best solution would be to ask the community.

First, from dell or different memory manufacturer, i read my laptop would only take up to 2GB of ram and up to DDR2-667mhz. But the inspiron 6400 model has plenty of configurable parts, i do not have an integrated GMA 950 graphics.

Here is my concern, with CPUz and windows system information, i see that my chipset is intel 945PM paired with a intel southbridge 82801GHM (ICH7-M).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_ [...] e_Chipsets
    945PM Calistoga 533/667 MHz 4 GB

From the intel specs, looks like i can go up to 4GB with 667MHz on the 945PM chipset. But what is contradictory is that dell or any memory manufacturer wont even suggest 2GB stick or even 667MHz frequency memory.

Should i follow intel specs or dell's? Dell doesnt seem to take in consideration the different chipset used.
    Should i go with 4GB 667Mhz KIT (2x2gb) or get the 2GB 533MHz kit (2x1gb) ???

thanks for helping

Might want to check w/ Dell....while a chipset may support all kinds of things the actual support you get comes from the BIOS and implementation of the set on the physical mobo, which is done by Dell...if their version of the BIOS only allows up to 2GB, then your stuck unless you know someone who can reprogram the BIOS for you....which even then may be problematic as Dell no doubt has probably set the mobo itself up with limitations also (they like to do things like that)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

what is done by dell, the actual motherboard or only the implementation set?

wouldnt bios update fix that? or they really want to keep us on our back?

thx alot pal you have brutaly answer my question unfortunatly for me :/
      i guess i have to go with 2gb

Comment

Dell generally contracts out the mobos to their specs and I believe it comes with a basic BIOS that Dell then configures to the specs they want i.e. like RAM w/ specific specs or HDs that have a special configurations, etc

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

hi,

that is sad...wish we could build custom laptop as easy as it is with a desktop :/

are other laptop manufacturer doing the same?

Comment

Working...
          X