Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSkill F2-9600CL5D-4GBTD & Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P

Dear Sir's

I recently upgraded my server with the following components and I'm having some issues I wanted to run by you. My Upgrades consist's of the following components.

Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P Motherboard running the newest F8 Bios

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Denab 3.0 Ghz AM2+ 125W Black Edition CPU overclocked to 3.4

8 Gigs ( 2 retail packages ) of your top of the line DDR2 1200 F2-9600CL5D-4GBTD memory.

My operating system is Windows Vista 64Bit SP2 with all current updates

I decided to bite the bullet and buy this memory, Over 300 Bucks : ( after trying both OCZ Fatality One DDR2 1066 and Kingston HyperX T1 DDR2 1066. Both of those brands either failed to boot into windows at all or crashed within minutes of getting into windows no matter what the settings were.

Since this memory is your top of the line DDR2 AND rated at 1200 Mhz I figured 1066 would be a piece of cake for this memory. While it's working better then the other two brands I tried I'm still having issues with it and for the money I was a little disappointed in it and wanted to get your feedback on it.

For starters my MB only See's this memory as 800Mhz memory and Not Stock 1066 like I was hoping for. Not a big issue really but when your paying that much for memory it really should see it as Native 1066 memory. Why o Why do All memory manufactors insist on selling 800Mhz memory as 1066 or greater just because it's overclockable. It's Very Misleading for customers.

Anyway, I went in and adjusted the bios to see it as 1066 and booted the system. Using your memory I can boot into windows ok and the system is semi-stable (Still Crashes Sometimes) but I have two issues that I cant seem to resolve no matter what timing settings I try or what voltage settings I try so I decided it was time to post a message about it and get some feedback Before I send it back to Newegg and have to eat the 15% restocking fee AGAIN.

My two issues are this

1 - Running Prime95 in windows with the Blend test option I always get the error message " FATEL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, Expected less then 0.4 ". I will get this error message in 1 to 3 worker windows and always within about 5 minutes of starting the test.

2 - When testing the modules using Memtest86+ version 4.0 on a bootable cd they always fail memtest 5 - Block move 80 moves. When I tested the modules seperatly one came up with over 55 THOUSAND Error's. They always fail right at the end of test 5 in the 95% + testing range. They seem to pass the rest of the tests fine.

I noticed that when bumping the dimm voltage from the stock 1.86 volts to 2.01 volts it seems to help some but they still fail in both tests, just not as much as using the stock voltage setting. I'm also concerned about Over-Volting these dimms and one of the reason I bought them was because there are advertised as Low Voltage.

NO other settings I have tried improves the fail rate in either test. It doest matter what the timing settings are nor does it matter if I bump the dimm volts to 2.1 or up the voltage in the NB or CPU settings. they still fail both tests. I have searched thru the DDR2 section of this forum and tried all the various settings people give for this model of Gigabyte MB but I just cant make it 100% stable.

Any Ideas and what would you recommend for voltages and settings using this combo of MB and Ram. I've pretty much tried everything I can think of at this point. I can post pictures if needed but since they fail these two test using any combo of settings I wanted to write you first to get your thoughts.

Finally I Refuse to run this ram at 800Mhz. Not when you consider how expensive this ram was and what it's rated at. If I have to do that I might as well return it and just buy Cheap 800Mhz ram and be done with it. PLEASE HELP.......

Thanks......

LV

The reason all memory packages boot up as DDR2-800 is because that is the JEDEC maximum default standard for the motherboard. This means that ANY type of memory will only be able to read up to DDR2-800 unless manually configured, or the XMP profile is used. This is why we require all customers to manually configure memory settings.

Here are the settings for your motherboard:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1129

The only differences are for 4 sticks, 8GB, you will need to set
    Trfc0 for DIMM1 - 195ns
    Trfc2 for DIMM2 - 195ns

Northbridge Volt Control 1.4V

Now for the bad news. With this motherboard and processor, AMD states that it can only handle one DIMM per slot for DDR2-1066. Which in return means that you can only run DDR2-800 with 8GB at max if you are lucky.

Try the settings listed and let me know how it goes. But if you are looking for DDR2-1066+ with 8GB, you're going to need a different/better motherboard.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Or leave the ram @ 800mhz.set to auto timmings then go back to manual and change the timmings to 4- 4- 4 -12 and you will run @ 1066mhz. fine . How do i know ? I have the same mobo and processor.
      My next venture is to try 3-3-3-? to see what happens .

Comment

1066mhz speeds fine. As a corection from above.

Comment

OK

I wanted to give a update but have been kind of busy so here goes.
          Also I want to thank everybody for there input on my issue.

As I stated in my first post these dimms Will Not run at 1066Mhz at Any Voltage or Settings Combination. I have already tried the Sticky settings and Many Many More. I have been at this for Two Weeks Guys. Four dimms installed Fails Prime95 Every Time.

Now, Taking the so called AMD MMC Controller issue into account into I also put these dimms to the test using only Two dimm modules in the yellow slots as recommedend. Guess what, At recommend settings and at other settings they Fail Prime95 Every Time.

They run fine at 800Mhz 4 4 4 12 But you can forget 1066mhz with my motherboard.

I had high hopes for these dimms too, but was very dissappointed with them, and with AMD too for that matter. With a rating of 1200Mhz, Low Voltage, the Cost, and the fact that there Gskill's Top Line DDR2 Module they should have hit 1066 Easy, even in a AMD system.

In defense of Gskill I have to say two other brands failed to run at 1066Mhz too. Yep, I was almost resigned to the fact that I was going to have to run these at 800Mhz and put the server back in its hole when I got Desparate.

I opened my " Beta " computer and pulled out the two year old Four One Gig PC6400/800Mhz Dimm Modules inside Just to See. With baited breath and unrealistic expectations I installed the Four dimms in the server, kept the reccomended Gkill Settings and hit the power switch.

Hmmm, It's Booting Up. Hey, It's gettings in Windows and Seems Stable. OK, Now for the Holy Grail. Will it Pass Prime95. So I crank up Prime and let it run. WOW. Running Prime95 for about Four Hours now and still 100% Stable with Zero Errors.

Is this Kool or What.

Oh Ya, Remember, there's Four Modules in All Four Slots and guess what, There running Dual Channel at 1066Mhz. Needless to say I'm pretty happy, and I'm pretty Amazed. So far, With Fine Tuning I've gotten these dimms stable @1074Mhz at 2.1 Volts. and have even had them running at 1100Mhz but it's not 100% stable Yet.

My faith has been restored in AMD and Gigabyte but I'm not so sure about Gskill. I will be returning the Gskill dimms and have orderd One 4 gig Set of these PC6400 dimms instead of the full 8 gigs. I'm going to test them first. If they hit 1066Mhz as I'm hoping they will I will be ordering another set. If they fail, then I will just use those in Beta at 800Mhz. Either way I'm at least running 4 gigs at 1066 in my server with a good chance at 8 gigs.

Thats about it, you will have to come to your own conclusions. Gskill had a chance to make me a long time customer, sadly, I dont think thats going to happen.......

LV

Comment

The biggest problem is trying to run 8 GB with an AMD CPU, 1066 might be possible w/ a fair amount of tweaking timings and voltages, but 800-900 would be more realistic. Something you have to realize is that while RAM is rated at 1200 (or whatever) you have to have a mobo and a CPU that will actually run with it....many AMD CPUs will only allow 2 sticks at 1066, many more might not even run w/ 1066. Same with mobos, it may be advertised to run 8 or 16 or more GB of RAM but your need the CPU, etc to go along with it.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X