Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem reaching 1200Mhz on ASUS P5- Deluxe Motherboard with F2-9600CL5D-4GBTD RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem reaching 1200Mhz on ASUS P5- Deluxe Motherboard with F2-9600CL5D-4GBTD RAM

RAM: F2-9600CL5D-4GBTD
    PROCESSOR: INTEL Q9650 (3GB QUAD CORE)
    MOTHERBOARD: INTEL P5Q DELUXE

Hi there,
    I know others have had problems reaching 1200Mhz with this RAM before but I have followed some of the settings i have seen on another post, and and still can't even boot into windows, never mind attempt to acheive stability!
    I have attempted to follow the settings in another post suggested by GSKILL Tech (see below)

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.ph...=deluxe&page=2

however i still can't boot. When i power up it lasts for about 10 seconds then the power switches off. I then have to press the power button again and load the BIOS and change the settings. Here are some pictures of my BIOS and some of the latest setting I have been attempting to use but with no luck. If anyone could suggest something i am not doing which may work, that would be a great help:

I have also tried increasing the FSB to 375 and reducing the mulitplier to 8, but this still won't boot with a RAM speed of 1200 Mhz.

I read somewhere else that it maybe the RAM skew timings which I may need to set. I have experimented with these settings using 200ps delay and 150ps in different combinations on the channels. Below are the options available.

If anyone has any ideas of what I can do to reach 1200Mhz that would be brilliant. I can only manage to boot at 1066Mhz at the moment.

Thanks

Neil
    Last edited by gibson1; 11-25-2009, 04:00 AM.

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
    Write Recovery Time - 8
    NB Voltage - 1.20V

Let me know the results and I will be able to further assist you.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Hi GSkill Tech,

First of all thanks for your help. I have tried the settings you suggested and it does indeed boot up properly with them. However, this is with the RAM speed being set to auto and with a front side bus of 333, which I think runs the RAM at 1066. When Ai Overclock tuner is set to manual and the front side bus is set to 333, the options for RAM speeds are shown in the photo below. as can be seen, there is no option to run the RAM at 1200Mhz:

I therefore tried setting the RAM speed to 1066MHz, followed by increasing the FSB to 375, which in turn increased the RAM speed setting to 1200Mhz as shown in the photo below. I also reduced the multiplier to 8 to compensate for the increase in FSB.
      (whilst keeping the other settings you suggested the same)

Again, this does not boot up.

So so far this is how my other settings look below. Please suggest any other changes which may increase my chances of running at 1200Mhz:

Last edited by gibson1; 11-26-2009, 04:07 PM.

Comment

The last 3 pictures have the correct settings. It is odd that it won't boot up though. Try testing each stick individually to see if they will operate on their own. Let me know how that goes and I will be able to further assist you.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Hi G Skill,

I have now tried each stick individual and with the same results- it still won't boot. I tried each individual stick seperately, and in different slots and but with no joy. Is there anyhting else I can try?

Cheers

neil

Comment

Your DRAM Voltage shows 2.1, these sticks call for 1.8, might try the lower voltage and run memtest again on ea stick individually in slot 1

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

What slots are they installed in? They should be in the black slots.

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Hi G Skill,

Yes they are installed in the black slots and it is still not booting.

Tradesmen- I have tried setting the voltage to 1.8V and this is less succsessful than at 2.1V. It doesn't get anywhere near booting with this setting. Does anyone have any other ideas what it might be?

Thanks

Neil

Comment

hi, i've just read on a review of the motherboard (asus p5q deluxe) this:

"The FSB strap setting for the Northbridge can be adjusted to help increase the FSB potential of your overclock, as well as the performance of that overclock. DRAM frequency is based upon the strap setting and FSB speed of the CPU. Skew rates for each DRAM slot are available to help increase memory overclockability."

Do you think i jneed to adjust the FSB strap to Northbridge setting to accomodate the FSB being set at 375? If so could you reccomend a potential setting?

Neil

Comment

This board actually has an automatic adjustment to 1200Mhz sadly this feature will push DDR to 2.448v, lol. Which I warned G.skill about month ago. You can actually boot 1200Mhz clean on stock as long you use Auto on everything and then dump memory speed to 1200Mhz and board will automatically adjust or tweak it. The sad news is while it boots while it launches windows 100% sure memory fails in every test there is.

Best shot I'd give for 1200Mhz would be 6:5 ratio at very high clocks since that has most lose timings, however that's not gonna be stable either. The 'ASUS Optimize' however happens only at 266Mhz strap to 1200Mhz with automatic timings, but no matter what I try everything from high latency tRFCs to tWRs to tRD values (even beyond performance concern) nothing helps stabilize this to be anything near 24/7.
                    "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
                    http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

Working...
                    X