Purchase Advice: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase Advice: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R

Hey. Looking for 4GB, looking for stability / compatibility with this motherboard. Building a computer for someone over Thanksgiving weekend, and I don't mind digging into the BIOS, but it isn't his thing, and I won't be back to their house until Christmas, and then again Easter, etc you get the idea.

Am impressed by the participation in this forum by GSKILL TECH and others.

I want to play a bit with overclocking, but for now with stock HSF. It isn't the main goal. I don't have to have 1066, but don't want 800 either; I'm thinking 900 or so would be fine, if I could keep it at 4-4-4 timings.

So I'm open to alternatives, but it seems like I'd want the PK, the HK, or the PI-B. Specifically, one of the following (in random order):

F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231209

F2-7200CL4D-4GBPI-B
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231211

F2-6400CL4D-4GBHK
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231219

F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231166

All are the same price, and all have very solid reviews.

The 6400 and 7200 PI-B look to be the exact same sticks, just listed twice with different volts. Is this true or is there a difference, such as warranty?

The HK doesn't seem to be mentioned much if at all on these forums, which is a negative.

On the PK, I'd lower the MHZ to whatever is needed to get 4-4-4 timings.

I'd like to order one tomorrow at the latest, so that it will arrive in time to build it next weekend.

Thanks.

PS - Oh and off topic, if anyone has a rec on a good DVD drive compatible in Windows 7, I'm listening. The reviews on those things are all over the map.

I'd go w/ the PK's, you drop it to around 900-966 are you could well get the CL4 you're looking for. As far as the others, you say you don't want 800 and maybe to OC some, but look at RAM today....you get some good (really good) sticks you might be able to OC a bit, but that's one of the reasons there are so many different speeds these days (many of which are not JEDEC Standards i.e. 900, 1100, 1180, etc), most sticks are pretty well maxed at the speed the sell for, if you have alot of time and patience you might be able to get a little OC, but at today's (and coming) prices, your better off buying faster, downclocking some and tighten down on the timings.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the response. I wasn't expecting that answer. Is 900-950 the expected speed for the lower timings? I'm a bit concerned with that set due to all of the posts and trouble people seem to be having with it and this motherboard. But on the flip side, lot of good info on this site for that combo. Stability is very important though because it isn't my pc.

I think I had been leaning towards these:

F2-7200CL4D-4GBPI-B
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231211

Which I'd be cool with running at 900 and 4-4-4 timings as stated. They look identical to the 6400 PI Black though...is it just two links on Newegg to the same thing, or have these been specifically tested to run at 900?

Is there some other option I should be considering?

And they all seem to be 100 bucks right now, which sure seems high.

Comment

Had to go ahead and order so it would arrivein time. Went with the Pk:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

Counting on you guys to help me get it working if I run into issues. I will follow the guide on this site, and update you with results in 7-10 days or so.

Comment

The PKs are basically plug and play with your board, Tradesman is running the same board in one of his machines and I'm almost positive he's commented on running they with no hassle at 4GB/1066, believe he's also run a couple speeds of the Black PIs and and the straight PIs at both 4 and 8GB. Maybe he'll comment.

Comment

PKs are a good choice, make sure you have the latest BIOS, but I've run a couple three sets of PKs on my UD3R (use it to test new components) and like the Jammer said, at 1066 it's plug and play.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

For the same price range, I would go with the PK version. They already come with the higher frequency, so you can downclock for tighter timings, or even overclock. I tested a "defective" set of these the other day and had absolutely no issues at DDR2-1100 on this motherboard. Prime95 and memtested perfect, but the customer just could not get it to work for some reason.

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
              X