Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK x 2 (4GB) and Gigabyte P35-DS3L rev.2 (Win 7 64-bit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK x 2 (4GB) and Gigabyte P35-DS3L rev.2 (Win 7 64-bit)

Model of the motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3L rev 2.0 running latest F9 bios
    Model of the memory: 4 sticks of 1GB PC8500, exact for each pair is 1GBx2 F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK
    Model of the CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

The problem is that I had been using 2 sticks of the above listed memory on my WinXP system for quite a while with no issues. It was running fine in everything I threw at it, from regular windows use to 3d gaming. I recently upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit and noticed the system was running a bit slow and would run better with 4GB, so I decided to order another pack. (system was running perfectly stable with the original 2gb at 1066mghz 5-5-5-15) I didn't think this would be a problem as my motherboard claims to be able to run 8GB. The problem I've run into is that 3d games will cause a blue screen and reboot the computer or the game will just crash out, sometimes windows will start to error out and windows explorer will begin to crash. For example, this is the error I keep getting when I try to play World of Warcraft:

This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal Exception
    Program: Z:\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe
    Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 0023:7117F15A

The instruction at "0x7117F15A" referenced memory at "0x000002B8".
    The memory could not be "read".

Press OK to terminate the application.

Other 3d apps will run but crash after some time, like the benchmark 3DMark06 or 3DMark Vantage

I am not overclocking at all, and all settings in bios are at optimum default settings. All votages and mem and cpu settings are at auto values. The ram is receiving 2.08v per the BIOS and windows. The only thing I notice is the original 2 sticks which are in slots 1 and 3 might have different auto SPD settings than the new 2 sticks in slots 2 and 4 (as per CPU-Z). The 2 sets of sticks have different tRC settings of 47 and 48. If these timings are different, I'm wondering if any of the other timings are conflicting, and this may be causing problems when running more intense 3d gaming?

I've run Memtest86+ v4.00 for 3 full iterations (3 hours) at the following timings with no issues, but again, crashing happens randomly in windows and when trying to do 3d gaming:

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay 7
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay 7
    Precharge Delay (tRAS) 20

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) [Auto]
    Rank Write to READ Delay [Auto]
    Write to Precharge Delay [Auto]
    Refresh to ACT Delay [Auto]
    Read to Precharge Delay [Auto]
    Static tRead Value [Auto]
    Static tRead Phase Adjust [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ Standard
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ Standard

I've been able to get the system completely stable by running the RAM at 800mhz with 4-4-4-12 timings. Obviously, I'd love to get the ram running at it's rated speed.

Are there any exact timings you can suggest for this motherboard or any other settings I could change in the BIOS to make my system stable again while running the 4x1GB sticks at 1066mhz? Thanks.

Have you tested the new sticks individually? and what's your tRFC, will probably have to raise it manually

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

No, I have not attempted each stick individually, as I don't think I can get Win7 64-bit to load with 1GB. I could try the 2 new sticks on their own though and see if everything works like that.

As for my tRFC, CPU-Z shows it as follows, also here are what the other timings are getting from having them set to AUTO in the BIOS. Also my BIOS tends to undervolt, so I'm giving the DDR +0.4v in the BIOS and as you can see, that gives it over 2.1v It's either that or give it +0.3 on the DDR overvoltage and it sits around 2.06-2.08v

Comment

Ok an update, I went ahead and spent a couple of hours trying each 2pack of sticks on their own and in both sets of DIMM slots. Both of the sets of 2gb work great at 1066mhz on their own at stock 5-5-5-15 timings.

I did some investigating and what I found through MemSet 4.0 is that each of the sets of ram had different auto timings on the tRFC 56 vs 68 and precharge to activate or refresh varied from 5 to 6

So I went ahead and put in all 4GB and manually changed these settings in my BIOS (changed them from the AUTO to manual):

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
        Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
        Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
        Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 68
        Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6
        Read to Precharge Delay__________ 6

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.3V]
        PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]

This is what my system settings are looking like atm:

I left the rest of them on auto. I am happy to say that for the moment, everything I've thrown at it has not crashed. I will of course test this for a few more days and hopefully I can remain stable. So from my findings, the culprit seems to have been some conflicting memory timings that was causing the huge issues and by setting the memory timings to the highest of the 2 on manual has thus far provided positive.
        Last edited by fairchild; 10-27-2009, 01:17 AM. Reason: forgot to add picture

Comment

So I got home today and logged into my computer and tried to log into WoW, and the crashing continued. First few times the game just locked up on me, then I just got a Blue Screen in windows and my computer rebooted. So it seems it's still unstable. Not sure what the deal is because last night I played the game for like 2 hours and rand several programs in windows for a few more hours and had not one crash after I tinkered around with it and did all the troubleshooting I did.

For now gonna stick with 800mhz at 4-4-4-12 timings and see if I'm rock solid stable for a few days.

Any ideas/suggestions on getting the ram running at 1066mhz.
          Last edited by fairchild; 10-27-2009, 02:26 PM. Reason: forgot to add some info.

Comment

why don't you admit this ram sucks ?or give a phone # that works ! support is seriously absent. Life shouldn't be this difficult.

Comment

Manually set your timings to 5-5-5-15, command rate to 2T, voltage to 2.1, speed to 1066 and tRFC 86.....then get back w/ results. (May want to raise vCore as the additional RAM indirectly affects the CPU

I don't work for Gskill, but unless the sticks are tested individually to see if maybe you have a bad 1, it's hard to go from here, I've used these sets (paired - 8 GB) on a number of mobos and haven't had much of a problem.....

Right now GSkill is having server problems w/ the boards and e-mail, believe it's equipment upgrades that are causing problems

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I did test them individually (meaning in their default packs of 2sticks each). Each set of 2x1GB work great at 1066mhz with 5-5-5-15. It's when I put them all in together that things have gone haywire.

I'll try testing with the higher tRFC of 86. As for the voltage, I can do +0.4v in the BIOS but then the voltage will be around 2.16-2.18v, is this safe since they are to be run from 2.0-2.1v?

Also, do you have a suggestion for the other timings?

Update: So I tried the suggestions. I manually put the timings at 5-5-5-15 and trfc to 86. Voltage that ram is receiving is 2.06-2.08v and gave the cpu a bit more voltage as well. Almost instant blue screen in windows when I loaded my mp3 player. Didn't even get a chance to try to load up a 3d game. This is the error message after I reloaded windows:

Problem signature:
                Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
                OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
                Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
                BCCode: 3b
                BCP1: 00000000C0000005
                BCP2: FFFFF96000125808
                BCP3: FFFFF88007D7CF30
                BCP4: 0000000000000000
                OS Version: 6_1_7600
                Service Pack: 0_0
                Product: 256_1
                Last edited by fairchild; 10-27-2009, 07:20 PM. Reason: update testing

Comment

Voltage is safe up to about 2.2, think I offered a mistake though, on the tRFC you may want to try 64. Had 2x2 on my mind while you have 2x1. If that doesn't go you try try the nb up .05 or .1

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                    Voltage is safe up to about 2.2, think I offered a mistake though, on the tRFC you may want to try 64. Had 2x2 on my mind while you have 2x1. If that doesn't go you try try the nb up .05 or .1
                    Tried putting the tRFC to 64 but no go. Also had the FSB and the (G)MCH at +0.2 and gave the cpu some more voltage.

Again have had no luck getting the system stable with all 4 gigs at 1066mhz, but everything seems to be running fine at 800mhz at 4-4-4-12.

Comment

Any help avail out there from a Gskill tech? It's been over a week but no suggestions. :-(

I actually shot an email to Gskill and this was the response which made me sad:

Dear customer,

First, we're sorry for the inconveniene.
                      However, we only guarantee 2 dimms in dual channel, not 4 dimms, since we always test them in pairs.
                      While running 4 sticks, you may need to increase FSB or NB voltage to make memory controller more stable.
                      Thanks.

Regards,

customer rep name blocked out
                      FAE
                      G.Skill International

Comment

Sorry about the delay.

Try these settings:

CAS Latency Time 5
                        Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay 5
                        Dram RAS# Precharge Delay 5
                        Precharge Delay (tRAS) 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) [Auto]
                        Rank Write to READ Delay [Auto]
                        Write to Precharge Delay [Auto]
                        Refresh to ACT Delay [Auto]
                        Read to Precharge Delay [Auto]
                        Static tRead Value [Auto]
                        Static tRead Phase Adjust [Auto]

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
                        PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ Standard
                        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.3V]
                        CPU Voltage Control_______ Standard

Let me know how that goes.

Thank you
                        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Heya, thx for the response. I plugged those settings into my BIOS and I got windows to load. I loaded up Prime95 and ran the blend test which tests RAM and near instant fail on the test. Then when trying to load up my 3d game, instant blue screen.

Comment

mine does the same

i have GA-p35-DS3L(rev1.0)
                            currently i try to run pc8500-cl5D-4GBPK
                            i too get blue screens. only when i put a 2 gig stick in by itself it runs fine but with both sticks to make 4 gigs i get blue screens and memory dumps.
                            maybe its our gigabyte boards?
                            i dont wanna think so.
                            sticky if you could help me too please?
                            GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L(rev 1.0)
                            F2-PC8500-CL5D-4GBPK
                            win 7 64-bit prof.

everything is on auto except my memory timings.
                            they are 5-5-5-15.

Comment

Fairchild and Dirtbiker14012,

Might have to adjust 1 or possibly more) of your advanced timings, like tRFC or tRC. Could you post your current BIOS settings?

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X