F2-9600CL5D and Ga-EP45-UD3P 8Gb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-9600CL5D and Ga-EP45-UD3P 8Gb

I have the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P and four sticks of F2-9600CL5D-4GBTD. After using the above settings, I am able to use two sticks in slots 1 & 3, OR, two sticks in slots 2 & 4. I can NOT use all four sticks. I get memtest freezeups, blue screens, etc. I have memtested all the sticks individually and in pairs using either the red slots or the yellow slots. All appears fine, just limited to 4 GB at a time. I bought this memory and MB because they appeared to be (on paper) the best setup available to go the x64 route with my E8400 and Corsair 650 w p/s.

I have experimented with most all the setups in the forum, all to no avail. I'm at the end of my rope. Any ideas?

Post up your BIOS settings so we can see what you may have set incorrectly.

CPU Host Frequency should be 375. System Memory Mutlipler - 3.20D. Performance Enhance - Standard. MCH Core 1.4V. DRAM Voltage 2.1V. tRFC 88. Just a couple things off the top of my head.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

OK, here goes. Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, G Skill F2-9600CLSD-4GBTD, Corsair 650w p/s.
      BIOS settings:

Robust Graphics Booster Auto
      CPU Clock Ratio 9x
      Fine CPU 0
      CPU Freq. 3.376GHz (375x9)

CPU Host Clock Control Enabled
      CPU Host Freq. 375
      PCI Express Freq. Auto
      CIA 2 Disabled

Advanced Clock Control
      CPU Clock Drive 800mw
      PCI Express Drive 900mw
      CPU Clock Skew 0ps
      MCH Clock Skew 0ps

DRAM

Performance Enhance Standard
      Ext. Mem Profile Disabled
      (G)MCH Freq Latch Auto
      System Memory Multiplier 3.2B 3.2D is too high, sets mem to 1333
      Memory Freq 1200
      DRAM Timing Schedule
      CAS 5
      tRCD 5
      tRP 5
      tRAS 15
      Advanced Timing
      tRRD 4
      tWTR 4
      tWR 8
      tRFC 88 This works w/ 4 or 8GB installed
      Command Rate 2

MB Voltage Control

Load Line Calibration Disabled
      CPU Core 1.300 1.32500
      CPU Termination 1.2 Auto
      CPU PLL 1.5 Auto
      CPU Ref. 0.76 Auto

MCH Core 1.100 1.200 1.400 w/ 8GB
      MCH Ref. 0.76 Auto
      MCH DRAM Ref. 0.9 1.000
      ICH I/O 1.5 1.61
      ICH Core 1.100 1.200
      DRAM Voltage 1.8v 2.1v
      DRAM Term Auto
      Ch A Ref Auto
      Ch B Ref Auto

As I said, the system works fine with either 1 or 2 sticks, not 3 or 4. I can use the red slots or the yellow slots, works fine, just not both red and yellow at the same time.
      Any help will be appreciated.

Comment

Have you tried them at DDR2-1066 first? DDR2-1200 may be stressing out the memory controller.

Let me know how that goes.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I guess I could. The board is supposed to be good for DDR2 1366 and a 1600 FSB. I'll let you know how it works out.

Comment

Yes, but only for 4GB. Try increasing CPU PLL to 1.6V. You will want to work your way up to see where the limiting factor is.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I tried 1066, no help. I see absolutely nothing in any of Gigabytes literature, in the Users Manual, nor their web page on this board stating any type of 4Gb limitation. It is even written on the board, DDR2 1366+. I have to look at that every time I try adding or removing this memory.

When I have a little more time I'll try increasing the PLL. I don't suppose you could PM me and tell me just which motherboard WILL work with 8Gb of this memory. These sticks were way too expensive to accept less than DDR2 1200 service. If I'd wanted 800 or 1066 I could have saved at least $150. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Both AMD and Intel mobos makers list their board specs rather loosely, while they will state a maximum memory supported, in your case 16GB....they convienently don't bather to list 16GB of what.....in this case, if indeed you could get 16 to run it would probably be 667 or 800 ...... This is particularly true with AMD system boards, to hit 16 on a 16 max board you need a 965 running the slowest RAM it will run (normally)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Does anyone know if the real problem is the total memory amount being over 4GB, or is it just using more than two sticks at a time? I do have several sticks of DDR2 800 and could not get more than two sticks of that working together.

I'm not into overclocking and playing with systems just for something to do. I just wanted to build a very nice, stable, and reliable, fast computer. To find out that I can not believe published specs REALLY bums me out. I could understand some of the cheaper, less well known brands fudging a bit but I bought the good stuff. I paid my money, I expect stuff to work as advertised. Guess I should have shaved my legs too. This WILL be my last Gigabyte board. They won't even answer my email.

Comment

It depends on the CPU, some AMDs won't run over 1066 RAM...and have trouble with that, some only allow for 1 DIMM per channel.....

The max-mem on mobos has long been deceptive, saw an interesting one the other day, check out the QVL RAM list for ASUS's new Sabertooth mobo, I was looking at the 1600 RAM that's on their list ....and in many cases they have it as tested and it will run, but many are listed as only running at 1066 or 1333...and this is 1600 RAM

Heard of one guy that really learned this the hard way, he bought a $375 mobo 'rated' for 24GB, then bought 2 sets of 3x4GB Kingston 1600 RAM at $1200 a set (yes $2400.00 for RAM).....finally got it all to run ...at 800, half the rated speed.....oh yeah, the RAM had a no-refund policy.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Well, I have tried increasing the PLL, I have tried 1066, I have even set it to fail-safe settings, and I have tried some DDR2 800 sticks I had. Nothing has worked. It runs fine and very fast with two sticks, and won't even POST with 3 or 4 sticks. ???????

Comment

It may just be a bad mobo, are you running the manufacturers drivers (most recent) for the mobo, NB, sound, etc? and or the latest BIOS? If it's running the OSs default MS drivers that might be the problem.

Tman

Comment

All drivers are up to date. The bios (FB) is the latest on the Gigabyte website. There is a beta (FDa) out there, but until I know what has been changed I'll wait to flash. I would hate to run the risk of bricking the board only to find out later that the new bios had nothing to do with my problem. I have thought all along thaqt the board was bad. Does anyone know how long an RMA take from Gigabyte?

Comment

Did you try no CPU overclock or 1066 on the memory? If those don't work either, it is more likely that the motherboard is the issue.

Thank you
                            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I have tried about everything. I have done the overclock, tried Optimum, tried fail-safe. I have tried the G Skill @ 1200, 1066. and 800. I have tried some other known good memory I have (DDR2-800). Same results. I have flashed the bios with a Gigabyte beta (FDa). Same results-works fine with two sticks, will NOT work with three or four sticks, period. I have about resigned myself that this board just ain't gonna do it. Gigabyte finally (after two weeks of back and forth try this, no try that) said reluctantly that I could RMA the board. I could do that but would be without the board for about a month, which is not acceptable to 'she who must be obeyed'. So, I will ask again. Can you tell tell me just which motherboard on the market now WILL work with 4 sticks (8Gb) of DDR2-1200 and an E8400?

Comment

Working...
                              X