Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK x 2 (8GB) and Abit IP-35 Pro (Win 7 64-bit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK x 2 (8GB) and Abit IP-35 Pro (Win 7 64-bit)

With Windows 7 right around the corner, I decided to upgrade my ram while I upgrade my OS, which is going to be Windows 7 Professional Editon 64-bit.

Currently, I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 CPU running at these specs:

Also I have 2GB of GSkill 6400PHU2 — DDR 2 800 memory:

I purchased 2 packs of GSkill DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK (8GB total) to beef up my Windows 7 installation.

Will this memory work at 1066 even with all four memory slots filled?

Was this ram the best choice for my configuration?

Do I need to make any changes to the ram settings in the BIOs or will auto-detect the proper settings?

I'm not planning on doing any overclocking; maybe just small tweaks that would not require additional air or water cooling.

I think first you need to get your system up and running at least to spec, you have your RAM underclocked at 680 (it's 800 RAM), are you doing this to tighten the timings (spec calls for 5-5-5-15 vs your 5-4-4-12)??? This I can understand as you may be getting eual or possibly better performance at the lower speed w/ the tighter timings.

But if so, I can't figure underclocking the CPU to 2.04 for any reason, the 6750 is native at 2.66, yet you have it down to 2.04 and your core ratio down to 6, it should be 8.

Anyway, to anser your question, Yes the mobo should support the 8GB, though it's standard calls for 800 RAM, 1066 would probably be a bit of a stretch, unless your plan is to run the 1066 at 8-900 and tighten down the timings, if this is the case, at 8 GB I sort of doubt if the tighter timings would really increase performance, and regardless, doubt if you'll get the 8 to run at most any setting without at least getting the CPU up to spec (and preferably a bit of an OC, the 6750 will run 2.8 to 3.0 rather easily on air.with the stock cooler.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the response.

That is embarrassing. I did tighten down the timing of the ram, but I don't recall deliberately underclocking the cpu.

I'll get the cpu back up to speed today.

So would I have been better of with DDR-2 800? While researching, many people suggested 1066 to match the FSB.

Comment

I see the problem. The multiplier and speed are bouncing around in CPU-Z between the value in the screenshot and mult x 8 and core speed of 2.7mhz.

Comment

I would think getting the 8GB to work shouldn't be a problem, but having it 1066 may take some tweaking time. You might well be better off at 800 and tighten down the timings as you have done before.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Increase NB Voltage to 1.4V. Set memory frequency, timings, and voltage correctly. Currently looks like everything is AUTO because the values are off.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Turns out I had speedstep enabled on the proc?first time I have heard of it, and so I disabled it for the CPU-Z test.

CPU:

Memory:

I'll be receiving the F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK memory tomorrow. I'll report back with default timings.

Thanks as always for the assistance.

Comment

We'll be waiting, hopefully all will go well

Have a gud 1 !

Tman

Tman

Comment

Ok, the 8 gigs of memory got in. Installed it, but did not set the timing to auto. Right now it is running off the old memory's timing: 4 4 4 12.

What adjustments you would recommend? Should I just leave it at the default 5 5 5 15?

CPU

Memory

SPD

Thanks!

Comment

Yes start at the base specs
                    Last edited by Tradesman; 10-26-2009, 05:24 PM.

Tman

Comment

Got the base specs going but noticed the ram is only running at 420. Do I need up the ram voltage?

Comment

tRFC about 84 for 8GB, manually set speed in BIOS to RAMs base speed

Tman

Comment

Alright, made a few adjustments via Gskill's guide for this ram and mobo. Here is how we are looking:

Comment

Update: those settings caused random lockups.

Comment

You have tRFC at 52, need to change to around 84 like I suggested last post.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X