Upgrading EVGA 780i to 8GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading EVGA 780i to 8GB

I am upgrading the memory on my EVGA 780i from G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ6400 to G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 1100 (PC2 8800) Quad Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8800CL5Q-8GBPI. I was wondering if you have any suggestions on correct voltages for the EVGA 780i motherboard. The reason for upgrading is to run multiple Virtual Machines on my system for testing purposes so I am not big into overclocking the system. Just want to run stable with Windows 7 and VMWare workstation.

Here are my specs:
    EVGA 780i MB, Intel Q9550 Quad Core, 4GB G.Skill PC6400 memory, 2 x EVGA 8800GTX in SLI, 2 x WD 500GB in RAID1, Corsair 750w power supply.

Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thank you in advance for you help and support.
    Last edited by CTCGeek; 10-20-2009, 12:55 PM.

For that setup, you'll want to input the base timings (5-5-5-15), command rate (2), DRAM voltage (1.9) manually. If all goes well...good. If not will probably have to raise tRFC and possibly the NB.

If you'll be running VMWare then you'll love the extra RAM and the PIs are a good choice. You didn't mention your FSB and with the 9550 you have a great OCer, the OC will come in nice with the virtual machines.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tradesman, Thank you for the information. I am expecting the memory to be delivered tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes. Atleast I have a good idea for starting. I have heard that the components I have a pretty good for overclocking but I have little experience with this topic. As a consultant, you are not really going to overclock servers since they need to be as stable as possible and we don't usually have the time to try and adjust BIOS settings to see what works and what does not. So overclocking the computer will be an interesting process since I am not too familiar with the settings needed. If you have any suggestions, I would be willing to give them a shot. Thanks again for the information on the memory.

Comment

Well, I think a lot of it depends on the customer, the application of the server, the OS and in particular the hardware. i.e. don't think I'd OC an AMD based server, but Intel? Definitely, depending on the factors, with some I've built a little OC makes it more stable.

Once you get going, I can provide suggestions and try and explain where some of the options can be beneficial to servers, again depending on the application it's used for.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X