Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 GB max? But I loaded 8 GB into system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 GB max? But I loaded 8 GB into system.

Hi.
    I just loaded 8 GB of DDRII-800 PC2-6400 into my computer.

I understand that Windows XP (32bit) will only register 3 GB, but why is my Bios (AMI v.08.00.15 05/27/08) only showing 3.72 GB?

I have a Biostar T-Series_TF8200 A2+ with an AMD Athlon AM2+ 6000.

I assume that Windows 7 will fix this... but what about the Bios?

Please help.

Thanks.

PS... yeah, this is my first post. Kind of obvious.
    Last edited by shane55; 10-19-2009, 09:02 PM. Reason: Obvious.

May have to rest Bios to defaults and then load RAM or may have to load 4 then load other 4 after a boot.
    Also might be an ECC conflict, i.e. your mobo wants ECC RAM and yours isn't..or viceversa. May have to toggle that off in BIOS. You should have an A2+ RAM test option in the BIOS, may give that a try.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      May have to rest Bios to defaults and then load RAM or may have to load 4 then load other 4 after a boot.
      Also might be an ECC conflict, i.e. your mobo wants ECC RAM and yours isn't..or viceversa. May have to toggle that off in BIOS. You should have an A2+ RAM test option in the BIOS, may give that a try.
      Thanks for the reply.
      I did reset the Bios to defaults. No go.
      I did put the RAM in in pairs and different slots... all checked out OK, but not all at once.

If I remember correctly, MOBO specifies not to use ECC RAM. I'll check again tonight, but that's what I remember.

I don't remember seeing a test option in the Bios, but as I said, they work fine in pairs, just not all together.

Still stumped....

shane

Comment

Could well be the problem, ECC won't read right in a non-ECC mobo.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Your specs show F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ as being Non-ECC.
          My MOBO is Non-ECC (Biostar T-Series_TF8200 A2+).

They match perfectly.
          Sorry... but this is not the problem.

Shane

Comment

Sorry, didn't have mobo specs handy, thought you inferred it was ECC...my fault, will see if I can dig up anything...might not be tonight, if not back Wed night and GSkill should be in Wed AM.

Sorry
            Tman

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tman.

No worries on time... the machine works OK with the 3 GB allowed by XP.
              I'm not really going to care until I upgrade to Win7 later this year. I just need to be prepared in advance.

Also, I just am concerned that if my MOBO isn't seeing it, how is the OS? (or can they be independent in this regard?)

Seriously OT: We'll be visiting some friends in Tucson over the xmas holiday. Great town.

shane

Comment

What happens with 3 sticks? Have you tested each stick individually with Memtest, Memtest86 or Everest?
                What sets of RAM do you have? I've got something floating in the back of my mind that I ran into this before and can't remember what it is.

They have the manual for your mobo here:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/t-s...n.php?S_ID=353

on page 29 of the manual it talks about the memory integration test.

Also, on some mobo/CPU combos AMD will only allow 1 DIMM per channel, have to check into this .
                Sorry got to many things going at the moment, will try to get back later this evening, but will prob be tomorrow.

Tman

Comment

Tman.

Thanks for this. I haven't paid attention to the 'memory integration test' because it was listed under 'overclocking'... something I don't do, so it didn't seem relevant.
                  I'll try it tonight or tomorrow.

I also have not tried Memtest or the others, but will.
                  As I said, individually, in pairs in all slots (see p. 10), they seem to work fine.

Not sure what you mean by "What sets of RAM do you have?"

Thanks.

shane

Comment

Did you increase NB Voltage to 1.40V and properly configure memory timings? Should be able to read the full 4GB.

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks for this response.

Since I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, my answer is obviously "no".

I've done nothing to the voltages of the MOBO and have kept most of the BIOS's defaults in this regard.

Sorry... but I don't know what memory timing is either.

shane

Comment

Look for those settings in your BIOS and make those adjustments. Typically it would not help with a capacity issue, but it's worth a shot.

Thank you
                        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I ran Memtest 86 last night. It showed that I have 8GB RAM in the system, so I guess the issue is in the Bios... somewhere.

I'll delve deeper this weekend and post results.

Thanks.

Comment

If you have memory hole remapping, make sure to set that to Enabled.

Thank you
                            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I don't remember seeing anything like that in the Bios, but I'll check this weekend and report back.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X