Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue screen with 2x F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI (4 sticks = 8gb) + Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Hello,

I bought two packs of g.skill F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI ram and installed them on a gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard running an Intel Core2 Quad Q9400. So 4 sticks totaling 8 GB using all four slots on the motherboard.

The set up works fine most of the time, however, I see regularly blue screens a half second after windows switches to high res graphics for the first time on boot up, and only ever on a cold boot of the computer. I suspect there must be some sort of power issue at start up due to using the automatic voltage settings in the BIOS.

I set the BIOS to use optimized defaults and then added RAID. I've noticed that the DDR18V voltage is typically at 2.016 V whenever I check it in the BIOS health status screen.

I have also run memtest to see if the RAM is bad and it appears to be good. I did once see errors on a cold start straight into memtest, but there were only about 10 and later bit pattern tests on the same addresses had no problems through out the rest of the test. I have not been able to reproduce these memtest results since the one time.

I also tried running only two sticks for a while and I still saw the problem though it seemed to happen much less frequently. Biweekly rather than nearly daily. I think I had the sticks in slots 1+3.

Any guidance here?

Thanks,

Ian

What's your tRFC, should be about 84 for 4 sticks - if that's not it or doesn't help might raise the NB voltage a bit. Also, what 's your vCore and FSB?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

tRFC was 68. I changed it to 84. I will see how this fares over the next few days.

The BIOS doesn't report the NB voltage and I didn't notice any option to set it. Maybe it is called something else in this BIOS.

The vCore voltage is 1.252 V.
      FSB is 333 MHz.

The DDR18V went up to 2.032V after changing tRFC to 84.

So far changing the tRFC has not seemed to make anything worse, so thats good

Comment

tRFC is fine at 80-84.

NB Voltage is MCH Core, change that to 1.40V.

DDR18V or DRAM Voltage should be set to 2.10V.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I witnessed a blue screen on boot this morning with the tRFC set to 84. I then tried the voltages suggestions from the gskill tech. The normal value for MCH Core is 1.10V. Also the RAM is rated 1.8-1.9V on the box, 2.1 feels high.

That said, I tried 1.40V on MCH and 2.1V on the ram. The motherboard didn't like 1.4V so I tried 1.2V for the MCH and that worked. Things seemed fine booting up, but later my computer blue screened (with something like "IRQ_LESS_THAN_EQUAL") during normal operation. This was the first time I had ever seen a blue screen after logging in.

After that I set the voltages back to AUTO. I left the tRFC at 84.

I don't know what to do at this point. Should I try to get new ram? Or is the motherboard I have bad?

Comment

At 1333 you might want to up your vCore to appr 1.29 (rated max is 1.3625, and actually even higher), your CPu might be lagging a bit

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

What do you mean it didn't like it? Try MCH Core 1.3V with DRAM Voltage 2.1V. If PC Health Status is roaming at 2.0V+, that means it's automatically needing at least that much.

Also, CPU VCore should be 1.28-1.29V. Take a look at the guide for this motherboard and it should give you an idea of where all the settings should be.

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                What do you mean it didn't like it? Try MCH Core 1.3V with DRAM Voltage 2.1V. If PC Health Status is roaming at 2.0V+, that means it's automatically needing at least that much.

Also, CPU VCore should be 1.28-1.29V. Take a look at the guide for this motherboard and it should give you an idea of where all the settings should be.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT
                Just in curiosity you consider this could work?

why would he up an vCore on Q9400 which is at stock 1.168v and stable at 1333 and if "PC Health Status is roaming at 2.0V+" you better get RMA desk ready since ASUS defaults anything over 375Mhz OCs 2.448v to this RAM.
                Last edited by genetix; 10-17-2009, 04:44 AM.
                "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
                http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

At 3.0GHz, you should only need ~1.20V V Core, I must have been thinking of another processor after reading TMan's post. If you continue to have issues, post up scren shots of your BIOS so we can make sure everything is set correctly.

Thank you
                  GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                  X