F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK + GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R BIOS settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK + GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R BIOS settings

I am having problems getting the memory to work in Dual Channel (slots 1,3). The system will not even post and keeps rebooting every few seconds when it is turned on. When I plug the memory into slots 1 and 2 (Single Channel) they work fine.

My current system configuration is:

G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK Desktop Memory
    Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Gigabyte EP45C-UD3R - BIOS F4

Below is one of the basic BIOS configurations I have tried without success:
    DRAM Votage: 2.1
    FSB: 266
    Ratio: X9
    System Memory Multiplier: 4.00A
    Memory: 1066Mhz
    Performance Enhance [Standard]
    DRAM Timing Selectable to [Manual]
    - tCL 5
    - tRCD 5
    - tRP 5
    - tRAS 15

Changing to a Host Frequency of 333 and modifying the other settings accordingly did not help.

Any suggestions for BIOS settings so I can get this memory to work in Dual Channel mode would be greatly appreciated.

Night want to try in slots 2-4 with your same settings - for whatever reason the UD3P, UD3R, UD3RC and a few others on occasion seem to prefer 2-4 over 1-3, I've got two UD3Rs running and on the rare occasion I only use 2 sticks, one board work with 2-4 the other will go either 1-3 or 2-4, both run 4 sticks fine.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion but still not luck with slots 2-4. I am still only able to get 800Mhz in Dual Channel. I have the latest non-Beta BIOS (F4) installed but I was thinking about maybe trying one of the Betas (F5C,F5D) as a possible solution.

Comment

Check that command rate is 2T, also might try testing each stick individually with memtest and make sure the sticks are all good

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

It's the motherboard fine delay adjustment not working on dual channel setup correctly or simply cant handly fine delay of 0T. Make sure the RAM voltage is between 2.1-2.2v(actual check this in single channel in OS tools like Everest unless of course you got RAM voltage shown in BIOS hardware monitoring).

'Performance Enhance' stick this to strongest you can. It won't help you.

-edit-

I think you could run 5-6-5-18 for just the try also (although, think the voltage will help when correct), but as for test where the failure is, we would know if the 5-6-5-18 would boot.
          Last edited by genetix; 09-10-2009, 07:41 PM.
          "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
          http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys, but still no success.

Tradesman,
            I went ahead and set the command rate to 2T but this had no effect. Memtest86+ passed in single channel mode at 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15.

genetix,
            In the BIOS the voltage was set to 2.1 but I was only getting 2.096 so I went ahead and set it to 2.12 and now it reads 2.112 but the system still won't post in Dual Channel mode after the settings change. Should I go a bit higher even though these sticks are rated at 2.0-2.1?

After the voltage modifications, I tried 5-6-5-18 but no luck either. The only way I can get this to even post in Dual Channel is at 800Mhz, otherwise it locks up before I can even get into the BIOS.

I am familiar with basic memory parameters and settings in the BIOS but there are also a ton of advanced voltage and timing settings that my mb allows me to tweak (Most set to "Auto" rigth now). I was thinking that maybe some of these need manual adjustments to get this memory working properly on my system?

Comment

Individual ideas:

Might try with FSB at 1333, would put your CPU at at 3.0GHz, so may have to raise vCore a tad - this may be that your mobo might not like 1066 FSB with 1066 RAM, not enough oomph behind the CPU

With current could try raising NB voltage a bit.

With current could raise tRFC to 68-72 range

Tman

Comment

It is time to call Gigabyte for a new motherboard. =)

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Originally posted by Gidian View Post
                  genetix,
                  In the BIOS the voltage was set to 2.1 but I was only getting 2.096 so I went ahead and set it to 2.12 and now it reads 2.112 but the system still won't post in Dual Channel mode after the settings change. Should I go a bit higher even though these sticks are rated at 2.0-2.1?
                  2.112v is exactly correct what it should be 2.096v is as good. Actually damn that board is accurate in voltages comparing to ASUS. keep it at 2.112v. Make sure your NB is at between 1.392v-1.488v (I find 1.440 beeing really nice on these intel new boards stock is 1.372v, but while you OC it's like 400FSB would need 1.392 450FSB will need like 1.488v and when memory on picture at 1066-1200Mhz it'll have to be like 1.520v(This is absolute Intel Burn Test stable memory will handle memtest86+ just fine at 1.4v but that ends to Windows testing as all components are in use). Although none too much at least for my taste even on stock cooling this will be at 37-47c on NB.).

After the voltage modifications, I tried 5-6-5-18 but no luck either. The only way I can get this to even post in Dual Channel is at 800Mhz, otherwise it locks up before I can even get into the BIOS.
                  try 6-6-5-18 1066Mhz setup (Set tRFC to 127.5ns (or 68-70T) and tWR at 7-10T(should be total 15T not sure how Gigabyte board counts this but 7T on my ASUS P45 = 16T, setting high won't hurt anyway for test). This should boot up anyway, to know, if it's on motherboard as suggested above. Have a bit doubt it would be the mobo since 800Mhz works clean. (this should work on these voltages you will not POST CL5-6-5-18 with anything below 2.22v, if even with that now that I understand situation paritially.)

I am familiar with basic memory parameters and settings in the BIOS but there are also a ton of advanced voltage and timing settings that my mb allows me to tweak (Most set to "Auto" rigth now). I was thinking that maybe some of these need manual adjustments to get this memory working properly on my system?
                  Don't worry on rest what's not mentioned above. If we need them we here know pretty well what might be/where to find the cause, on specified issues.

Hope this helps... (It's time to call new motherboard when we first know what's the issue 1-4weeks RMA process ain't exactly love you know)
                  Last edited by genetix; 09-12-2009, 09:41 AM.
                  "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:

Comment

This motherboard should boot up fine with no BIOS changes. Should have no issues at all with the basic BIOS setting changes. The fact that he has issues after that and more already shows that the motherboard is out of spec in my opinion is a waste of time to get a bad motherboard to work properly when he paid for a good one.

He did try 1333 FSB, so if raising MCH Core Voltage to 1.24V and MCH/DRAM Ref to 1.0V doesn't help, I would simply start the RMA process.

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT
                    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 09-12-2009, 10:01 AM.

Comment

So, you are saying I should return every single ASUS x38/x48 I see everyday simply because G.Skill PI-B sticks won't run at CL5 by any means at 1066-1100Mhz?
                      (Just for argument, Hell on CL6 it's still faster than any benchmark on web for DDR2. I don't know about you, but I see no reason to not to test equipment to know the real cause before sending it back).

but ok..

The system will not even post and keeps rebooting every few seconds when it is turned on.
                      This indeed could mean that board is failing miserable and as it's a new board (probably). Sure, RMA could be fast and easy way.

Comment

I troubleshoot hundreds of motherboards and memory every day/week. This motherboard accounts for ~20% of them so I can troubleshoot these with my eyes closed. =)

Thank you
                        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

You didn't answer my question, but fine, if you are sure in this case it's bad I'll drop it. Have no interest solving something, if it's motherboards fault 100% sure. I'd wish we had this discussion on ASUS boards again. hehe..

Comment

Well I don't know which ASUS boards we are speaking of, but what I meant was that I get so many troubleshooting cases for this board it is very for me to troubleshoot this specific motherboard.

Thank you
                            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Have you tried Performance Enhance to Turbo?

Also, any way you could post screen shots of your BIOS Settings?

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X