Setting Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Recommendations

I have a Asus P5K Deluxe with 1005 bios version and a E6850 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and just installed 2 sets of F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI memory. The computer booted up right away with the bios settings all on auto and ran Orthos CPU and RAM tester for a while with no problems at all, looks to be very stable.

I then went into the bios and did a few tweaks that gave me a little more performance and ran Orthos again with no problems, just wondering if anyone with alot more overclocking savvy could give me some numbers to try in the bios to really get this setup humming. Everything is on air cooling so I know I won't be able to go crazy with it. The bios settings I have now are posted below, this is my first time trying to post pics on a forum so I hope they show up.

Everything looks spot on. If those settings work fine, you definitely have a good motherboard and memory package.

Time to hit the CPU overclock, then memory overclock. =D

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks, ya I figured I was going to have some kind of hiccups adding this much memory, been running 2GB for 2 years on the board, but not 1 thing went wrong, very glad I bought this memory, G.Skill has made a loyal customer out of me.

Comment

Agree with Gskill Tech, if you want tro kick it up a notch, start with the CPU, with the stock cooler you can prob hit a FSB of 1468 (more or less), which will move you to 3.3GHz from the stock 3 GHz, without your CPU getting to hot, just sort of keep an eye on the temp. If it remains decent you can go up from there. Aboove 3.3 you'll prob want a third party heatsink like a Zalman, Freezer Pro, etc

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

3,3Ghz? with 45nm Duo?

that's funny. Plus I would suggest hard against adjusting the FSB to anything with 'Auto' voltages with this board. This board will then automate Voltages to maximum rising CPU & motherboard heat.

-edit-

as for advice: get the current voltages (at OS (unless you have those on BIOS)) for NorthBridge, CPU, CPU-FSB & CPU PLL. Manually set those at BIOS before starting OC and verify the voltages (at OS (unless you have those on BIOS)). after those matches then start OCing and see, if it stays stable. When not then ask or rise specific areas of voltage accordingly to FSB. Heat will come accordingly to voltages when high enough is reached. O and one more thing you really wanna have 800Mhz or 1:1 ratio on memory while OC:ing unless reaching to specific spot like FSB400 would be 4:3 1066Mhz.
          Last edited by genetix; 09-09-2009, 06:28 PM.
          "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
          http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

The E6850 Intel Core 2 Duo chip will easily and safely clock to 3.6 with an FSB of 1600 and a good CPU heat sink like the Arctic Freezer or a Zalman.

It will go higher on water

Do that on a stock CPU fan and you will fry the chip and maybe other things! Stock fan can do 3.3
            Last edited by 4x64; 09-09-2009, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Overclocking Results

Ok did a little more overclocking, ran it on Orthos for 10 minutes without any errors, I need to run it longer to really check it out.

The following pictures are the results and the settings that I used, let me know if anything looks totally wrong and stupid cause it just might, I am very new to overclocking. By the way I'm using a Thermaltake Bach VX case (not exactly the overclockers dream, but still good), and I have a Zalman CNPS9500 CPU cooler which has a 92mm fan. The CPU temp at idle is 38 Celcius, after 10 minutes of testing using Orthos teh highest temp I seen was 79 Celcius, I'm getting the temps off of the Asus AI Suite that came with the motherboard, dont know how accurate it is.

Tomorrow my 2 SSD Drives will be delivered, going to run those 2 in a raid 0, kind of excited to see how fast those will be. Again I want to thank everyone on this forum for helping and giving me advice. Here is the pics

Comment

It's looking sweet! One thing I forgot to ask, how long have you had the system together - in particular the CPU and HS together? Reason I ask is you should let the the thermal grease cure for 10 days to 2 weeks before extended runs at these settings (just to be on the safe side)

Also, after running at these settings for a while, if it stays stable you could lower the vCore a bit at a time.

If you want to kick it up another notch, you could try upping the FSB even more, in small increments maybe to 1615 FSB, then 1630, etc...or in increments of 10 - 1610, 1620, etc.

or

You could try tightening the timings maybe 5-4-4-15 or 4-5-5-15 or...or... you probably get my drift, the RAM timings aren't something that you will really see, but might give you a boost in benchmarks, WEI, etc

The SSD's though will prob keep you excited for awhile.....What kind/size do you have coming.....really think you'll be amazed. What OS are you running? Vista, Win7 - 32, 64....doesn't really matte, whatever, you'll love it.

Have fun, I'll be checking in Thurs, prob in the PM, but maybe early thirty in the AM

Tman

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Oh I have had the system together for over 2 years, but between work and family haven't had the time to really get into trying to learn about overclocking, A few weeks ago I really started to read about what all the numbers meant in the bios and here I am. I bought the 8 gigs of memory to replace the 2 gigs I have been running from the get go.

I'm running Vista 64-bit, I have a 7500 rpm Wester Digital HD that I have been using since the start, and I knew that was one area besides the memory that I wanted to upgrade, was going to go with 2 velociRaptors in raid 0 but the SSD drives kind of came out of no where, people left and right are getting them and those suckers are fast, looking at the benchmarks people are posting for them it's amazing what they can do.

I'm getting 2 60GB, put them in raid 0 for 120GB. I'm not going to mention the name brand here, don't think it would be right (cause their not G.Skill). I have seen in other manufactors forums people getting kicked off cause of advertising other companies products, I sure don't want that to happen to me.

I don't have a Raid card, everywhere I read people say dont waste time using the onboard raid, but I'm going to give it a try before I shell out more bucks for a dedicated raid card.

Windows 7 is going to be way more SSD friendly then vista is thats for sure, There are so many things that should be turned off or disabled in Vista if you want the drives to last, I got a big list of programs to turn off and settings to change.

Thanks tradesman on those further tips about fine tweaking my settings. Great forum thanks

Comment

Great Job!
                    Last edited by 4x64; 09-10-2009, 07:56 AM.

Comment

That's one solid setup right there. A little disappointed you're not going with G.Skill Falcons but we do not discriminate. Definitely will not kick you off simply because you're using another brand. Keep up the good work, with SSD drives, that would really put the icing on your cake.

Thank you
                      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

To tell you the truth I never even heard of G.Skill before I went to newegg and used their memory tool to look at memory for my motherboard and reading all the great reviews about the memory on the site is the reason I bought it plus the price was darn great. At that point I had already ordered the drives. If your flash drives are even half as good as your memory I know they would have been a great product for me.

Comment

Make sure you check the ASUS site and get the latest RAID drivers for your P5, you'll be pleased with the responsiveness, check out the tweaks available for SSDs and ...then...you'll be even happier.

Tman

Comment

hmm, just for 'word' that CPU temp on above screens is quite high for stable good OC. Not that it would be extreme but 38 on tCase (which that tool shows only) is more than 42-46 degrees at core diodes. Meaning when you bunch IBT on that it'll be 90-100 degrees.

but then again no application/game what ever (if we don't could compression utilities like 7-zip) won't do this much stress to OS. I am surpriced how in the gods name can system be at 36 degrees then again 333-400FSB on this ain't too much. So, that's still probably correct.
                            "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
                            http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

Oddly enough, I have seen systems with stock CPU clocks and stock CPU fans hitting these temps with people unaware of any potential damages to their CPU because the system came that way.

What is the saying? , What you do not know won't hurt you---And been doing that do not know thing now for like 3-5 years. Of course those higher temps are only seen when the CPU is loaded with something like a back up.

Comment

Working...
                              X