Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pc8500 1066 mhz 2x2gb ram dimm1&3 problem!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pc8500 1066 mhz 2x2gb ram dimm1&3 problem!!

So firstly to name my component so you'll have a feel of what im working with:
    Intel Core 2 3.0ghz E8400
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
    G.Skills PC8500 1066 mhz 2x2gb ram
    EVGA 9800GT

so i had problems from the very beginning starting from installing XP but i got around it and now im stuck with this problem. I keep having constant BSODs if i have the 2 sticks of ram in slots 1 and slots 2, or slots1 and slots 3 ( but it will only post if i have it at 800 and not 1066). i tried to run everything at 800 but i still got BSODs when i ran a game (left 4dead) system will just freeze and crash and i will have to manually restart.

BUT i just tried manually setting everything to 5-5-5-15 again and dram volts to 2.1 and running it at 1066 and i insert it into slots 2&4 and BAM it works perfectly. but if i were to put it back into slots 1&3... no post and keeps rebooting/restarting.

SO QUESTION:
    Does this have to do with the motherboard? or the ram? i ran memtest86+ while having one in slots 1 and TONS of error showed up. Ran it in Slot #2 no errors. Tried it with both sticks and Slot #1 gives me errors every single time. But when i ran it at 800 i didn't get a single error in the same slot #1. So i don't get whats the problem.... help??

currently: running memtest86 overnight at 1066 speeds in dual channel mode in slots #2 and #4. will reply back asap.

This motherboard uses slots 2 and 4 first, many people have issues with slot 1 and 3. For BIOS settings, there is a sticky for it, but the issue you have is very common and it has to do with the motherboard. You should ask GIGABYTE to see why this is so, as I would like to know as well.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

so i ran memtest86+ overnight and after 12 passes and nearly 8 hours.....0 errors!!!!! does this motherboard really use slots 2and 4 first? so after i have 2 and 4 plugged in, then i add more ram to slots 1&3? and everything should work perfectly? i have the bios setting correct and everything is running fine. Its only when slots 1&3 is plugged in that's where the problem comes up and errors fly everywhere. I'll contact gigabyte about this and reply once they give me an answer to why there's problem with slots 1&3. thanks!!

Comment

Shouldn't be a problem with 1,3. 1 is the one closest to the CPU (Yellow), might check the BIOS, F9 is the latest, but even F8 should be okay.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

yea i did the @bios thing that the mobo gives as an option to update bios, so i have the F9. BUT right now i just overclocked it to 3.6ghz using easytune and i set my ram speed to 800 instead of 1066 and so far everything is running good in slots 1&3. i currently have memtest86+ running and will run it all night to make sure no problems come up. so far 2 passes and no errors yet.

i did however run the ram in slots 2&4 for a few days since i last posted and everything worked beautifully. hopefully now after i reinstalled it in slots 1&3 that no problems shows. wish me luck!!
          "
          if no problem shows, then i think its the tweaking needed to get this mobo to work with this ram. so far I LOVE THIS RAM! well after the problems i faced and needed to solve by myself haha

Comment

What do they say, Live and Learn? Anyway congrats and have fun, and don't forget the 8400 is a great OCer

Tman

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

haha yeah (:

so memtest86+ results were great. almost 12 hrs and no errors. i'll post a pic later of it.
              right now im O.C to 3.6ghz and my temps are running 45*c idle and about 59*c load. havnt been over 59*c yet. are these temps ok? wont damage anything? and my GPU is about 50-59*c temps also. is that also ok?

i can't run this ram at 1066mhz though, only at 800 it will post. at 1066 nothing happens but constant restarts....and only at 800 will the fsb:dram be 1:1.....any help with that?

Comment

While 1:1 is good, it's not really needed. I'd work on the RAM and getting it to 1066, then do the rest of the OCing. If you start with the FSB at 1333 and set everything manually, it should work out OK.

Tman

Comment

Have you read the guide for this motherboard and memory package?

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1169

It sheds some light on overclocking as well, but as long as you set the BIOS correctly, you should be able to operate DDR2-1066. With your setup, you should have absolutely no issues. You should be able to easily OC as well. Keep us posted on the results.

Thank you
                  GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

yeah i've read the guide but now again...it hasn't helped me much...
                    i still can't run it at 1066 and only works good at 800. i really want to make the ram work at 1066 because that's the reason i bought it.... am i loosing a lot of performance by using this ram at 800? if its not a significant difference then i probably will stop bothering with it....

this is what i did:
                    set CPU Host Frequency to 333, set multiplier to 3.20b. set timings to 5-5-5-15, raise voltage to 2.1v, set cmd to 2... i sometimes get it to boot to windows but then after a brief second when everything loads to the desktop, bsod pops up and BAM restarts again....

anything i might be missing to get this ram to work? thanks!

Comment

What are the default advanced timing values? The motherboard may not be picking them up correctly. You can operate them at DDR2-800 CL4 and that would equate to the same speeds, but this motherboard should be able to operate DDR2-1066 with no issues. You may have a motherboard issue so it would not make sense for you to keep a bad motherboard.

Have you tried them in slots 1 and 3? Let me know the results.

Thank you
                      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Can you post screen shots of your BIOS settings, it may be in the advanced RAM settings, also what vCore are you running when you OC

Tman

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231246

These were the 8500's I had and could not get to work with my board (they would work then random BSOD), had to RMA, they are now a deactivated item at Newegg.

I also know from other forum readings that your board, 780i is having higher speed RAM issues.
                          Last edited by 4x64; 09-14-2009, 04:57 PM.

Comment

how do you operate them at DDR2-800 CL4 ?? i down clocked it back to stock speeds and 1333mhz because i didn't like it running at 45*c idle and about 59*c load...kinda hot to me. now at stock 3.0ghz my temp is 35*c idle and 40*c load... even with my Freezer Pro 7 it still feels hot.

what would you guys recommend me to put the settings as? i tried it in slots 1&3 and 2&4 and it would onl work with 800 and not 1066. itmight be the settings so if anyone has got their ram to work at 1066, please post some settings and hopefully it'll help me out. Im just afraid that the more i mess with the ram/mobo, it will break on me because of my faults... -___-"

Comment

If you can provide your current BIOS settings we might be able to provide more input, otherwise it's just guesswork since we don't know the timings your board is at.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X