Please Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Advise

Motherboard: GIGABYTE EP45-UD3P (rev 1.0 F9 Bios)
    Memory: F2-6400CL4D-4GBHK
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

First I'd like to point out that at first both sticks of ram were working just fine.
    Some time passed n I upgraded my LCD screen then for some reason or another I had a strange issue with my computer.
    Blank screen with the video card cycling the fan for a few times then a long beep.
    Hitting the reset button right after that made it post properly.
    I have no clue what that is about save the obvious suspects the LCD n Vid card.
    Out of frustration I took everything out n reseated it until it worked again on its own.

Fast forward awhile more... I wake up and start my computer.
    I'm greeted by a series of beeps indicating I assume a power error of some sort.
    Has with the last issue took everything off reseated it tried all types of configurations on the memory and narrowed it down to one stick of ram.
    With it on the MB it causes that error... with it off all runs normally.
    That took a lil while to figure out at first because I had the first error I had before with the other stick in...
    But after reseating it... been working fine since then...

I was hoping someone would give me some advice on this matter.
    This is my very first build so I don't have very much experience with these things and my motherboard is very vague with its error beeps.

Is there maybe something I can do with my working stick to get the other working?
    Do I have to RMA the busted one or do I RMA em both...
    I'd rather not have to because I need a working computer and this is my only one atm...
    Do you think the first issue was caused by the ram I have installed right now or maybe an issue with the motherboard or something else.
    I'd hate to replace my mem only for it to be broken again by some other issue.

Please... any help would be greatly appreciated.
    And I hope I didn't confuse you lol
    Thank you very much for the time =)

May want to up the voltage on your NB a bit. The North Bridge Chipset handles communications with the CPU, RAM, PCI/AGP and the South Bridge. Might also want to make sure all your drivers (in particular monitor and graphics card) are up to date as well as your BIOS. Without the proper driver for your new LCD, Windows will use/load a generic driver.

Would also suggest running memtest on each stick of ram individually, may have just had a stick go south at the same time as you got the new LCD

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the reply =)

I suspect the lcd drivers had something to do with the first failure but... I tried a different lcd and same thing happened... since I don't know what exactly happens internally when a computer goes through its post its hard for me to tell what exactly could be the problem with that.

But this one happened at a later date and it completely consistent... it just downright refuses to post. I did test the stick I'm using now with all the different software I could get my hands on like memtest they didn't pick up anything on it but I cant test the other one because it fails post immediately with the multiple short beep error code...

Since both are from the same kit I assume if one works the other should too right?

After I had that issue I did raise the NB voltage a lil bit just in case after doing a bit of research. Has for the drivers, I do have everything updated =)

I figure there's no hope for it but I wanted to make sure I try everything before sending it in for repairs/replacement.

Comment

Believe I agree, the stick is/has gone south. GSkill should be in, in the morning, but think they would go ahead and RMA the single stick. You can wait for an answer here, or put a request in the the RMA part of the boards here you can e-mail direct to ustech@gskill.com, regardless, it'll prob in the AM Wed (PST) before you get a reply

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'm not in any particular hurry at the moment so I can afford to wait np =)

The 2gb I have is running fine atm just that I work with allot of video rendering n what not so I did notice a performance hit... The ram stick has been dead for a few weeks actually because I couldn't find the time to do anything about it.

And even if I had a rma number now I wouldn't be able to send it till Friday at the earliest sadly...

Comment

We can definitely have this issue resolved. Please visit our website at http://www.gskill.com/rma.php for complete RMA procedures. You will need to download and complete the RMA Form then email it to me for an RMA number to return the defective memory sticks.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Hey guys,

Just wanted you to know I got the ram today n its working perfectly so far
              Thanks allot for the quick rma!

Comment

Glad to hear it, have fun!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X