F2-8800cl5d-4gbpi + ga-m750sli-ds4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8800cl5d-4gbpi + ga-m750sli-ds4

Just sharing how the kit performed. I hope you find this useful.

CPU: Phenom II X2 550 BE (from Athlon X2 5000+ BE)
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-M750SLI-DS4
    MEM: G.Skill Pi 1100 DDR2
    GPU: INNO3D GTX260 216SP Gold OC
    HDD: 2x Samsung HD501LJ tried;
    • AHCI (terible boot-up time using SATA ODD and HDD)
    • IDE (IMO, best for non raid set-up)
    • RAID0 (the best set-up ever if you have 2 identical HDD)

HDD2: WD Caviar black 6401AALS done in IDE only Installed
    PSU: ENERMAX FMAII 565 (Old workhorse still thumping!!!)
    ODD: Samsung SH-S203N DVDRW
    HSF: Gigabyte G-Power Pro (VERY NOISY! @ max)
    HSF: Gigabyte G-Power II Pro (Modded, took out the Fan-shroud combo, replaced with 120mm Sunbeam 1300rpm led fan)
    CASE: Lian Li PC-G7 with Clear Side

Used Bios: F5, F6, F7 and F8f

Everything was going well till i upgraded my CPU to a PHENOM II 550 BE and G.Skill Trident 8500.

1st prob (No Longer a prob )
    The Trident was not able to boot up at 1066 no matter how i tried, i asked
    the seller here if i could change it to the Pi 8800 he agreed. booted up at 1066 could not get it to 1100 thou. PRIME95 and MEMTEST stable @ Stock. Tested for two hours.

2nd prob.
    then i stopped all testing, went to sleep. When i woke up, the PC took about 30 seconds before the boot process started(ie; VGA bios screen).This was the first time i encountered such a scenario.

Then i noticed on the POST SCREEN, Memory was set to DDR2 800. which was weird since i left it on manual. i thought that my CMOSbat is low or dead but when i entered the BIOS Setting (ctrl+f1 mode) everything was where it should be except for the DRAM SETTING.

THIS IS THE MAIN PROB. The setting for the DRAM keeps on reverting to AUTO every time i shut down my PC. i think its the F8f BIOS because i tried the old CPU (5000+ BE) and MEM (XMS2 6400), same scenario when setting the DRAM and saving the manual setting. It reverts back to auto when i shut-down and unplug my PC. I tried this out on all the bios, f5, f6, f7. this prob only occurs on the F8f BIOS.

Everything is going well except for that prob, done PRIME95 and Memtest using the 550BE @ 3.7 stock volts (which is 1.350volts on MoBo) again stable, testing for more than 3 hours. Temps are 30C idle and 37C 100% load according to REALTEMP. Its kinda warm here in the Philippines right now and my AC is busted, going past 1.375 volts is out of the question for now hehehe. Thou my temp are quite low i'm not sure i want to go past 1.40 Volts yet.
    Last edited by chubbyboy_hyper; 09-01-2009, 10:06 AM.

Here are some of the initial tests that I made with the Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition. All tests are done using stock CPU & GPU settings. Memory was set using EPP Default Setting on the MoBo. SATA controller set to IDE Mode.

PRIME95 was used for heat testing only, not for stability.

Quick Heat Test on the CPU. Screen Shot was taken after running PRIME95 for 10mins. Ambient temp 32.1C. RealTemp/Bios temp difference +3C

IDLE Temp Test. This Screen Shot was taken after leaving the system on idle for about 10 mins. Ambient temp 31.7C. RealTemp/Bios temp difference +3C

3DMARK06 Results

AMD PhenomII X2 550 BE @ 3100Ghz Stock

Operating system Microsoft Windows Vista
    System type 64-bit
    Motherboard manufacturer nVIDIA
    Motherboard model M750SLI-DS4
    Hard drive model WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2 ATA Device
    Memory 4096 MB (2x2048mb G.Skill Pi 1100@1066)

3DMark Score 13313 3DMarks
    SM 2.0 Score 6273
    SM 3.0 Score 7009
    CPU Score 2508

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=11866885 3dmark06 result

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ BE @ 3100Ghz OC

Operating system Microsoft Windows Vista
    System type 64-bit
    Motherboard manufacturer nVIDIA
    Motherboard model M750SLI-DS4
    Hard drive model SAMSUNG HD501LJ ATA Device
    Memory 4096 MB (4x1mb Corsair XMS2 800 @ 900+)

3DMark Score 11201 3DMarks
    SM 2.0 Score 4864
    SM 3.0 Score 6071
    CPU Score 2215
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=11737550 3dmark06 result

Here is a screen shot of OC'd for testing, @ stock CPU volts MEM @1.9 Volts. I will Post the results as soon as i can. i teach so i don't have much time to do it right away. Notice the Memory Speed as read by MEMSET, 637.8Mhz! thats 1275.6 DDR2?! that can be right?! or can it??? ehehehehe

Comment

hmm, looks around 533. Wonder here how much that NB throughput is compared to memory controller speed. Since what ever that is is the speed actually you usethe memory in. 3:8 is sad ratio.. Also, I really doubt that is fully stable. Check test 5 on MemTest86+ would be in order. Although prime95 does "nice" job, but I wouldn't trust it for full stability or, if above scenario is slower than what memory is.

MemSet is wrong.

but I have to admit that's really damn impressive indeed.
      "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
      http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

Ey GENETIX,

Just finished running MEMTEST86+ 2.11. All my settings passed. (Last Screencap on my last Post)
        Here are some of the pics.

Whats odd is that MEMTEST86+ can't recognize my CPU nor my RAM. it is show my Core Speed and not much else. And the memory is running @ 616 = DDR1233.

Comment

god damn that's one fast damn setup. Seriously damn..

9511MB/s solid speed below OS with DDR2. That's so fast that I cannot even imaging that DDR3 would compete with that. Of course that can be only Memtest86+ error, but I believe in that.

Might wanna see what something like Rightmark Multithreaded memory test says on +8MB(Lets say 32-64MB on all cores would be ok) test size from what ever the L2-L3 is thatw ill show the truth. (Also would love to see some Everest Memory/cache test screen.). hmm, Everest v4.60 is freeware you could use that. (kinda hard to get but anyway.)
          Last edited by genetix; 09-02-2009, 06:45 AM.
          "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
          http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

Yeah, i think its a MEMTEST ERROR, its way too fast i think. I tried using RIGHTMARK but im running on 64bit, the version i downloaded said it's only for 32bit. I'll try and get my hands on that new EVEREST and start testing ASAP.

Comment

While memtest86 can 'fairly' evaluate your RAM for errors on your setup, keep in mind the name of the test - MEMTEST86 with the key being '86'. The program was originally designed for (and still is primarily for) Intel X86 CPU setups. Some of the 'problems' you see with settings and speeds come from trying to figure out the AMD CPU you are running.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

@GENETIX

Here are some of the benches that i was able to do on the MEMS Memory settings are on stock. Only the CPU was OC'd

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                While memtest86 can 'fairly' evaluate your RAM for errors on your setup, keep in mind the name of the test - MEMTEST86 with the key being '86'. The program was originally designed for (and still is primarily for) Intel X86 CPU setups. Some of the 'problems' you see with settings and speeds come from trying to figure out the AMD CPU you are running.
                Yep TRANDESMAN, that's a very good point. I ran EVEREST 4.6 and SCIENCE MARK 2.0 and here is what i got.

And Looking at some DDR2 and DDR3 benchmarks, im getting near DDR3 performance from these RAMs

Although the test systems on these Review are based on Intel, i guess it's safe to say that it can be a safe approximation to compare my system NOT as a DIRECT COMPARISON.

And again, I Know that these are SYNTHETIC BENCHMARKS not REAL-WORLD PERFORMANCE measurements.

here are some of them
                http://www.overclockersonline.net/?p...um=1101&pnum=5

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews....d=591&pageid=4

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/C...500C5DF/3.html

http://www.overclockersonline.net/?p...um=1511&pnum=6
                Last edited by chubbyboy_hyper; 09-02-2009, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I finally got my DRAM Settings to stick!. I got everything to stick @ DDR1066 although it still takes a while for my PC to boot up. From pressing the power button to when the screen lights up to show the VGA BIOS POST. BTW im using the F8f version.
                  Last edited by chubbyboy_hyper; 09-03-2009, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X