Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M2N32-SLI Deluxe will not POST (Random problem)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2N32-SLI Deluxe will not POST (Random problem)

Hi All,

I have recently upgraded the RAM and CPU in My ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe MoBo (BIOS version 2208 latest from ASUS).

I slotted a AMD AM2 Phenon II 940 BE with no problems. However after installing the new G.Skill DDR2 4G(2x2G)PC6400 800Mhz(F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT) RAM that i purchased, the system wouldn't post from pressing the power button. The board gets power fans turn on, lights etc, but the USB external keyboard, mouse and video display get nothing... Press the reset button while it is in this state however and it will restart and POST fine then load into windows...

This problem seems to happen randomly.

I have loaded the BIOS defaults, changed out the RAM to check faults etc, cant see a problem. It POSTs consistently with my old Corsair memory (DDR667) modules, this problem has only occurred since installing the G.Skill memory. I haven't run MemTest as of yet, but i did run PCMark06 in Windows 7 and did some stress tests and the system seemed stable.

I have tired disconnecting other components, to make sure that the new RAM/CPU wasn't drawing too much power in a spike when its turned on... didn't seem to make a difference

My System specs
    ----------------------
    AMD Phenon II X4 940 (3.0GHZ) Black Edition CPU
    M2N32-Sli Deluxe WiFi Ed MoBo
    4 Gig G.skill DD2 800mhz Ram (setup in Dual Channel slots)
    MSI 8800GT 1G DDR3 Graphics Card
    2x 250Gig WD 16mb chace RAID 0 configuration (Striped)
    1 TB Samsung Drive for Storage
    Windows 7 OS
    ThemalTake Tusumi Dream (430watt power supply)
    ----------------------

Please let me know if you need any more information...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

cheers,

Aaron

You may not be getting enough juice @ initial startup. What CPU did you have before? Do you have RAM and CPU set at correct voltage?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I had a AMD AM2 x2 4200+.

Voltage settings in the ASUS Bios are all set to auto.

forgot to add, that i didn't have HDDs setup in a RAID 0 config before i changed CPUs. I did however unplug the extra HDD, CD rom drive etc when testing...

Comment

May want to check voltages and if need be set them to spec, i.e. RAM to 1.8. Also check RAM timings, ensure they are at 5-5-5-15, command rate 2T. Think you might need a bigger PSU. Might see if you could borrow a 5-550 and see if the problem persist

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Try testing each memory module individually to see if one will cause the same issue while the other will not. Keep us posted on the results.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I did try swapping out the modules in different slots, and tried booting of individual RAM sticks with no success...

Out of curiosity, how much power will DDR2 800mhz RAM draw over DDR2 667 mhz RAM?

I was thinking, because the problem happens when you first press the power button and then you have to press 'reset' to get it working, does this point to a power related problem perhaps? Does the RAM get enough power from the first time its power on (even though it wont post) and then when its 'reset' it then contains enough power to post the mobo?

On another note, this RAM is nice and fast and thinking about getting another 4 GB for my board, is there anything to watch out for? I read somewhere that 8 GB is a 'different beast' to running 4 GB, so just wondering if its worth the trouble (running a 64bit OS)... anyone able to run 8 GB of this RAM on the M2N32-SLI mobo?

Comment

Most 667 will pull about the same voltage, but I'm leaning to the PSU in large part because your new CPU draws alot more and (to me anyway) your 430 is abit on the wee side. On new builds I almost never go under 600 watts, it's often not really needed but leaves a little wiggle room for expansion. I'm guessing you'll also find while your PSU is a 430, the total is actual inflated as a good portion is basically wasted as it is with most PSUs, with alot of the AMPs (thus wattage directed away from the 12v output.

Tman

Comment

Working...
              X