Problems with 8GB (4x2) Pi series on x48 DFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with 8GB (4x2) Pi series on x48 DFI

I recently purchased 2 kits of F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B for a total of 8GB.

Im having issues getting the RAM to run at 1066 with all 4 slots filled.

My board is a DFI Dark x48 T2RS
    The settings i am trying for are 400 FSB (DRAM strap 400/1066)

I have tried running only 2 sticks and it seems to run just fine.
    ATM, Im running a 333/800 strap and 400 FSB, giving me 960mhz on the RAM and its just fine.

With all 4 sticks, 400 FSB, and DRAM strap at 400/1066 it usually hangs at boot forcing a CMOS reload.
    I have tried with NB core at 1.4 even and no go.
    on occasion it will continue to boot, but blue screens shortly after the desktop shows.

I think there must be a memory setting somewhere i do not have adjusted correct, or a performance lvl of some form. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

((edit: If it matters , I am also running a Intel Q9650 Quad. so 3.6Ghz at 400FSB and voltage for RAM is set at 2.11))
    Last edited by Wishmaster; 08-22-2009, 05:46 PM.

For 8GB will want to set your timings manually, use stock 5-5-5-15 settings, voltage 2.1, command rate 2T, tRFC 78

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I forgot to mention I have been using the 5-5-5-15 timings manually ..

But i did try tRFC 78 and same issue. ((more specifically 400 FSB, DRAM strap 400/1066, DRAM 2.11V 5-5-5-15 78tRFC)) It boots to bios splash screen and hangs there.
      I cant even get into bios at this point and have to do a manual CMOS reload.
      Error Code on MOBO = 52

drop it to default subtimgs 333/800 and 5-5-5-15 timings 2.1V and no issue at all.
      even letting board choose a 52 tRFC at these settings its totally stable ...

EDIT: I do not know if this is normal, or maybe help pinpoint the issue but i thought it couldnt hurt to add it:

Out of curiosity with all 8GB running at 975mhz i done a benchmark with everest:
      The results at these setting was approx : Read: 8180 Write:8619 Copy:8181 Latency:62.8

Now, When i changed the DRAM strap to 400/1066 ... and removed 2 sticks, only running 2x2 at 1066 .. these numbers all dropped even though it will run them at 1066.

Approx: Read:7765 Write: 8500 Copy: 7589 Lat 63.7

I know this isnt a huge difference but still, is it normal behavior or do i possibly have another issue here?
      Sorry for such a long post, just trying to give as much info as i can so you can all better help. It just seemed odd the perfomance appears to drop running only 2 sticks at 1066.

Thx again!
      Last edited by Wishmaster; 08-24-2009, 12:34 PM.

Comment

May have to raise your NB voltage a step or two. With your Error code (52) both that and EC 55 tend to be symptomatic of the DFI simply not liking the particular RAM model. Another thought would be to loosen timings to 6-6-6-18 or to play with the tRFC and tRC

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks again.

I tried your advice and even at 6-6-6-16 tRFC 78 i hangs with error code 52.

I also tried with same timings and NB core at 1.4 and same issue.

Im guessing either the board simply does not want to run 8GB at 1066 or theres another setting, performance lvl, that needs changed.

Sadly, the DFI memory setting are way over my head ,and far to many of them.
          might be best to check with DFI about them. i dont know.

once again, thanks for trying to help me.

Comment

Wish I could have helped more, if you would let us know what DFI says and check in occasionally, I'll put out a note to the builders and consultants I network with and see if any have worked with your particular mobo and can provide any input.

Tman

Comment

Apparently, this particular board (DFI DK x48 T2RS) doesnt handle the 400/1066 DRAM strap very well.

I lowered the CPU multiplier from x9 to x8 , and just pushed the FSb up and got it to boot all 8GB at nearly 1066, was 1056ish. Using 333/800 DRAM strap.

It did however take a good deal of NB voltage, at around 1.46 and wasnt 100% stable.
              But i am certain getting stable would be np, just need to tweak voltages and possibly a bit more Vcore.

So it does appear more of a issue with the board and the strap i was trying to use.

The ambient room temp during the summer this pc is in though gets really warm.
              So NB temps were much warmer than id like, so i backed it down to where ive been running it for now.

I hope this bit of info may help others with a similar board who are have problems with 8gb.

Comment

Have you tried disabling Speedstep and C1E?

Tman

Comment

no i hadnt actually. But same issue with it disabled.

I have found it to be quite stable and running very well at 1013 and 422FSb 3.8Ghz.
                  using the 333/800 strap.

And with all 4 slots carrying 8GB im happy with that.
                  The board just doesnt like that speed for some reason with all 4 slots full.

It can be done, but not worth the trade off for no significant gain to me.

Comment

That's some good numbers on the FSB and your OC, so I don't think I'd worry that much about 1013 vs 1066, doubt if you'll ever see the difference, even in benchmarks.

What kind of cooler you running on your 9650, I've used a Freezer 7 Pro and am currently back to a Zalmon on mine, it runs 35-37 and about 44 under load at 3.8 GHz, @ 4 GHz 468FSB it kicks up to 45 and 53 . Looking for another option.

Tman

Comment

Im using the Xigmatek HDT-1283 in a Antec 900 case.

I should point out it was 76C ambient in the room but:
                      Under IBT stress i was getting 75 cpu 60 PWM area and 53 chipset

and show idles of 33/40/47 or real close to.

maybe ambient temps why mine seem so high ... but it does seem happy at these settings so I dont know.

Comment

Thanks, I'll take a closer look at one, appreciate the info and have fun!
                        Last edited by Tradesman; 08-28-2009, 06:04 PM.

Tman

Comment

(Read Delay) - 10
                          (tWR) - 8
                          (tWTR) - 4
                          tRRD - 4
                          tRTP - 4

Read and Fine Delay options are ridiculous on this mobo.

Just might be slightly off/picking up incorrect AUTO values to operate 1066.

Although it seems like you have it running pretty well, there is still room improvement if you feel like tuning for a tad bit more performance.

Thank you
                          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                          X