F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK not game stable with GA-X38-DQ6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK not game stable with GA-X38-DQ6

Seems my games such as Fallout 3 and Counter Strike Source can't run stable with my two sticks of ram inserted. My games will lock up my entire computer in about a minute of play.

I've already weeded out every single issue on my comp and it seems to lead me to my memory not running well in dual channel mode. So far, I have them set in single channel mode and it works just fine, SO FAR. I haven't really tested it as much, but after a minute of gameplay in fallout 3, I can still walk around and do stuff.

My mobo is a gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 with F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK as my ram. I have it at 1066mhz and 5-5-5-15 atm in single channel. Is my mobo not good with this memory in dual or what?

and btw, I've had the mobo for a year and a half and this ram is brand new. I used to have some older ram. 2 sticks of 1 gig ram. some random corsair stuff. It all worked fine for about a year and then my games started locking up on me. and I was running in dual channel mode back then.

Do you have the voltage @ 2 or 2.1? On your mobo, you may have to raise the tRFC

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

As of this time, my voltage is at 1.8 I had it before on dual channel at 2.1, 2.0, 1.8 and 1.9 and they all failed with the timings at 5-5-5-15 and 1066.

Like I said before, I do have both sticks in single channel and it is at 5-5-5-15, 1066, and 1.8v

Comment

Please list your default Advanced Timings with the memory modules installed in dual channel mode. Once I get that I can see how the motherboard is liking the memory and whether or not it needs to be adjusted.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Ok at default....(this is on CPU Z but is still the same info)

DRAM Frequency - 533.3 per stick (so 1066)

FSBRAM - 1:2

CAS# Latency - 5

RAS# to CAS# Delay - 7

RAS# Precharge - 7

Cycle time - 20

Row Refresh Cycle - 68

Command Rate 2T

sorry for the delayed response, didn't realize someone posted!

Comment

also to add, single channel doesn't seem to work anymore. I mean it works, but it now locks up my comp just as fast as dual channel does.

I've also tried lowering the clock speed to 800 in dual and single channel as well and still nothing.

And now my desktop crashed with the 2 sticks in. Looks like my system is just not stable with 2 sticks of ram in there.
            Last edited by Zazabar; 08-12-2009, 05:46 PM.

Comment

the blanks are caused by restriction of chipset more than likely. Meaning values has to be inside parameters from others. Start by tRRD add it -1T from RAS to CAS delay. Also add same value to tRPD (Read Precharge Delay) and drop the tRD to 24, If you use single channel drop the tRAS to 17. Keep the memory at all times at 2.100v while testing you can drop it later, if needed.

hmm, might be good advice to check MemTest86+ also when you get stuff running.
              Last edited by genetix; 08-12-2009, 07:46 PM.
              "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
              http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

I can't really follow those instructions....what would they look like in the bios, if you know? obviously i got the voltage lol.
                Last edited by Zazabar; 08-13-2009, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Go into your BIOS and you will find out! You have the computer not us! haha You need to set the timings properly, but according to the issues you are having already, one or two of the sticks may be defective. Test each memory module individually, if it throws errors and such, contact NewEgg to set up an RMA exchange.

Thank you
                  GSKILL SUPPORT

Originally posted by Zazabar View Post
                  I can't really follow those instructions....what would they look like in the bios, if you know? obviously i got the voltage lol.

Comment

btw, those advice'd are from your board manual. So, read memory settings pages on BIOS there.
                    "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:

Comment

Well, each stick in alone at a time seems to work fine with default settings and 5-5-5-15 settings. I've already tested slots 1-3 and 2-4. I doubt it is the ram itself. I just need certain timings and settings down. I'll try to look up what those timings are from genetix, but blah. I just didn't see those exact words in my bios.

to mention, I did call g skill and the guy I was talking to was telling me to up my cpu and some other option in my mobo but I think afterwards my cpu wasn't booting up. Would my cpu have anything to do with my ram? btw it's a quad core at 2.4, not oc'd at all.

Comment

so are you saying i should have it at 5 6 6 24 at 1066 running with 2.1v? and how in the world minus 1t? I'm not sure of that setting, I just saw it on cpu z. I'm sure in my bios but where? isn't there a guide somewhere to say what options i have where in my bios? or would it be under a different name possibly?

Comment

Well, each stick in alone at a time seems to work fine with default settings and 5-5-5-15 settings. I've already tested slots 1-3 and 2-4. I doubt it is the ram itself. I just need certain timings and settings down. I'll try to look up what those timings are from genetix, but blah. I just didn't see those exact words in my bios.
                          We gave you whole row of timings even secondary timings. I even looked your board manual to get what is changeable in your BIOS exactly.

to mention, I did call g skill and the guy I was talking to was telling me to up my cpu and some other option in my mobo but I think afterwards my cpu wasn't booting up. Would my cpu have anything to do with my ram? btw it's a quad core at 2.4, not oc'd at all.
                          You can't screw that much that your CPU would be the cause. 2,4Ghz (assuming you got Q6600 or something there) can go up to 3,6Ghz quite clean even higher probably. Voltages increase of course is needed on North bridge usually to stabilize CPU->motherboard->memory and visa versa.

Little 'idea' how this goes:
                          FSB has it's own maximum throughput bandwidth, Memory Controller/MCH has it's own, if these are sync 1:1 = fastest usable system bandwidth. when you do 1066Mhz and memory ratio changes this means memory copy speed inside MCH is faster than over all bandwidth on FSB = write/read is as fast as FSB can go while copying speed inside memory is as fast as memory speed/latencies gives.

In a sense you cannot do faster than what your FSB/CPU can do in any kind of actual speed.

so are you saying i should have it at 5 6 6 24 at 1066 running with 2.1v? and how in the world minus 1t? I'm not sure of that setting, I just saw it on cpu z. I'm sure in my bios but where? isn't there a guide somewhere to say what options i have where in my bios? or would it be under a different name possibly?
                          I said -1T from what 'RAS to CAS delay' is, if you use 5-6-6-24 tRRD would be 5T. It might barely run 1066Mhz at 2.1v (I'd just dump it to 2.15v or 2.2v), make sure your North bridge voltage is minimum of 1.40v for this setup. Good would be 1.440-1.488v(actual voltages you can check this at OS before you dump memory to 1066Mhz).

It should run the 1066Mhz on 2 sticks at 5-5-5-15 tRRD(again -1T from tRCD) at 4T. Dump the sticks in slots 2 and 4.
                          Last edited by genetix; 08-13-2009, 08:56 PM.

Comment

I am confused, so what problems are you having now? With everything that you have set in BIOS so far?

Thank you
                            GSKILL SUPPORT

Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 08-14-2009, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I've already put my ram in slots 2-4 with 1066 and 5-5-5-15 timings. I've pretty much just given up and I'm going to return the RAM for more compatible ram. Maybe a different brand maybe not, just something that I hope works.

Thanks for the help tho anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X