Blue screens with new ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue screens with new ram

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H, bios F11, with an AMD Phenom II X4 B45. It had been running fine with 4gb of G Skill F2-8500CL5. I added 4gb more of the identical memory, and made sure timings, etc., were as suggested. Ever since, I occasionally get scrambling of my monitor, like bursts of colored static, and ultimately a blue screen. This might happen once a week or so. Having double-checked all the bios timings, etc., I am not sure what else to do. Here is the summary report from HWinFO64:
    Last edited by Augeydoggy; 12-29-2012, 06:22 PM.

Initially I'd make sure you have the latest BIOS first, if you already have it, try raising the CPU/NB voltage + 0.10 from it's current setting

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK, giving that a try. Will report back. I am using bios F11 which is the last that was ever done for this board.

Comment

Keep us updated

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So, after 4 days at the higher voltage, I am still getting the scrambled monitor - generally lasts a few seconds. On the other hand, it now only seems to occur when I first switch the monitor on during the day (I generally let the pc run overnight with monitor off), and I haven't had a blue screen (which also used to happen sometimes when the monitor was off).

Later that same day - it now seems to scramble every time it is off for a while, but then is steady after that.
          Last edited by Augeydoggy; 01-03-2013, 04:02 PM. Reason: new event

Comment

Might check that you have the latest GPU driver, also check that the GPU contacts are clean, if available try a different cable to the monitor (actually both, power and signal cable).....whoooo....and if possible try a different monitor if you have or can borrow one (hoping it's not, but sounding like it may be the power board in the monitor is heading south.)

Tman

Comment

hmm, you may be right. The monitor is 6 years old (Gateway FPD2485W), and I had to swap it out twice to get one that worked when new. I will try another (much smaller) monitor.

Comment

Keep us updated

Tman

Comment

So, before changing monitors, I decided to wait several days to see if I got any blue screens. Not only have I not gotten blue screens, the scrambling has completely stopped! I'll report in if it comes back, since no need to try another monitor unless it does.

Comment

Sounds good, we'll be waiting for an update, hope things stay good

Tman

Comment

So after nearly two weeks of no problems, I suddenly have had four blue screens in two days. Two while the computer was sitting overnight, and two while working on it. One gave me the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error. Meanwhile the monitor has been rock solid, with no flickering or static of any sort. Also, you mentioned the GPU, but I am using the onboard video. I tried running Memtest86+, which showed no errors after 12 hours, but I cancelled it at that point. I also ran for Windows solutions, and for the first time got an answer - it wants more information, but noted that the DHCP client stopped working, and also that there was a video hardware problem.

Comment

DHCP is network protocol settings and how you get around the net, might check with your internet provider as to what it should be or if on a LAN or home network, ensure your router and rig are talking to each other correctly --- also might want to run something like MalwareBytes to make sure someone isn't trying to hijack your system or turn it into a Bot....video hardware problems might be the driver, can check and see if the onboard has an update from the mobo maker

Tman

Comment

Upgraded drivers where possible, and installed patches to my Acronis backup (which one bsod implicated). Occurred to me that my router is also new and sometimes seems flaky, and found new firmware for it. Ran Malwarebytes, no problem. Anyway for last 3 days has been rock steady (fingers crossed).

Comment

SOunds like good troubleshooting, we'll be watching for a (hopefully good) update.

Tman

Comment

Should have kept my mouth shut - crashed last night. But for the first time, Win 7 actually was able to assess and give me a "solution." In all previous crashes, it told me it couldn't communicate with Microsoft. Anyway, here is what it says (doesn't really tell us much):

Solve a problem with your PC
                              You received this message because hardware or software on your computer caused Windows to shut down unexpectedly and restart. This is a serious problem, commonly referred to as a stop error or blue screen.

If you've received this error more than once, we recommend that you do the following:

Back up your files to avoid data loss in case of a complete hardware failure.

Contact the original manufacturer of your computer to determine the specific component which is failing.

How do I find my computer manufacturer?

Tap or click the Start button , type msinfo32 in the search box, and then press Enter. Your computer manufacturer is listed as the System Manufacturer in the right pane of the System Information window.

Tap or click to go online to see contact info for most computer manufacturers
                              Additional technical info

Although we know the problem is caused by a hardware component, the error report doesn't contain enough info to tell us the specific component. It's likely that the problem is being caused by one of the following computer components:

Random access memory (RAM)
                              System board
                              Central Processing Unit (CPU)
                              Power supply

Comment

Working...
                              X