ASUS P5N-D and F2-6400CL5D-8GBPQ unstable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P5N-D and F2-6400CL5D-8GBPQ unstable

First post guys, thanks in advance for any help. Just upgraded to 8GB of ram from 4GB of another brand. Trying to run the 2 sticks G-Skill of 4GB each in dual channel. PC will boot into windows but it's not long before it crashes or reboots on its own. I have everything set on auto in the BIOS, have tried setting ram timings and voltage manually as well as manually setting the NB and HT voltage all to no avail. Tried the ram voltage at 1.89 and 1.91, the timings at 5-5-5-15 2T. Tried the NB and HT voltage at 1.40 and 1.36, nothing seems to get it stable. Any magic settings anyone knows of? Yes, I have the latest BIOS installed 1401. It runs rock solid with a 10% overclock with another brand of 2 2GB sticks installed in dual channel. I disabled the overclock before installing the new ram.

Vista 64 bit
    Q6700 cpu
    GTX260 video card

Check the specs on your mobo, worked on one about 2 months ago, I believe the mobo only supports 8GB total and in a 4x2GB config. They may have done something to the BIOS since (sort of doubt it though), I have to finish up a rig I'm working on right now, but go ahead and check and I'll look it up in about 30-40 minutes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Check the specs on your mobo, worked on one about 2 months ago, I believe the mobo only supports 8GB total and in a 4x2GB config. They may have done something to the BIOS since (sort of doubt it though), I have to finish up a rig I'm working on right now, but go ahead and check and I'll look it up in about 30-40 minutes
      You may be onto something. Just checked the specs and no real specifics on it other than 4 slots and 8GB max which would make sense that it can only handle 2GB per slot :-(

Comment

Sorry, had a bit of a problem with a system and got tied up last night, and yes, generally if it's a 4 slot mobo with a 16GB limit it's for 4GB sticks only...some makers have tried to finagle the BIOS to get it to take 8GB sticks but tens to be too much of a load on the MC (Memory controller)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X