F4-3200C14-16GTRG - Looking for pointers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSKILL TECH Thank you.

99% of everything I do or games I play, does NOTHING to the cpu or ram. I have one particular game this is horribly optimized (Generation Zero), but I love playing it- it is the problem child that try’s to melt my PC. So far it has been my test best for stability.

When my ram is at 50c, the cpu is around 67-73c... sometimes it spikes to 84c... it just makes me feel nervous.

It really seems like the more I run a certain setting, the more it somehow becomes stable. The other night I decided to test something and was able to lower the voltage even more.

I’m at the same 3733mhz settings as above, but I was able to lower the voltage to 1.43v.

Also i’ve said before, voltage on my mobo acts weird. If I set 1.420v, it loads 1.44v.

that means my mobo RIGHT NOW, is set to 1.41v, but it’s loading as 1.43v

3600mhz at mobo setting of 1.420v would always crash... but now I’m achieving 3733mhz with mobo setting 1.41v

im on the fence if I should keep trying to get voltage to lower, or go up to 3800mhz... or maybe try for CL14

EDIT: I think I need to specify that I am also starting to OC my cpu, just in case this can be valuable to anyone. Currently I am running “PBO-motherboard settings, Scalar x1, All core/Per core overclocking: Negative 10, Boost clock override 200mhz. “
    I tried to set SoC as 1v, since it defaults to 1.1v whenever I OC ram, but it still seems to load as 1.1v... however, after I made this change is when things started to become more stable. Maybe it was trying to load too much SoC voltage the whole time.
    Last edited by BunnyButt; 04-08-2021, 07:32 AM.

Comment

If you plan to OC CPU, then just leave the headroom and tune for lower timings. Over Voltage can definitely cause instability, some motherboards can auto overcompensate so in some cases manually setting values lower can improve stability.

Comment

I swear it’s true that ram learns...

What I once thought was my limits and was about to leave it, has been pushed further..

i have discovered the longer I have run my OC as daily, (3733mhz cl16), I was able to turn down the voltage from 1.44v, to 1.41-42v.

Thats not something I expected to happen.

My next train of thought was... what else can I do instead?

So I tried to pass my current limit and succeeded in hitting 3800mhz/cl14 @1.516v.

I don’t know what to think of this, is it safe?

It’s kinda buggy but experience tells me I can “train it.” maybe?

Currently I have changed it to 3800mhz cl16 @1.43v for reliability. (?)

I figured this would be safer but i’m unsure what kinda performance this gives me over 3733cl16, or maybe CL14? (Still haven’t brought back my cpu OC, infact I think I was told to OC cpu first)

I have done some other things, (TBH your comment about mobos overcompensating is what caused me to further investigate my situation.) Like I found out I have a voltage called 1P8 that’s supposed to be at 1.8v and the default “auto” was pushing 1.850v.

I cut a lot of system heat with that one. almost 15c in some instances.

Also noticed that my SOC was defaulting to 1.1v, and I was able to override it to 1.0v, all while keeping my OC.

I have been trying 4000mhz CL18 @1.5v, but it won’t catch.

It doesn’t seem very worthwhile to load up 4000mhz at anything past CL18, so i just haven’t tried.

Sure would love to know how to set the VDDP/VDDG, What’s default and what numbers are dangerous to go over, and what happens if you do enter a number higher than the limit?

Unfortunately for some reason the readouts in my bios has recently glitched, and I can no longer check the voltages, maybe I need to pull the cmos, or my dual boot Linux/Windows has messed something up.

The readouts are still correct in HWInfo, even if I reset them to auto settings.

Happy to hear any expertise of what I might be doing wrong, however that’s the style I enjoy, as little voltage as required.

I’m not sure why I would need 1.1v, if 1.0v on the SOC is working.
        Last edited by BunnyButt; 05-04-2021, 09:27 PM.

Comment

As long as the system is stable and the hardware remains cool, a high Voltage is safe. Have you tried a higher DRAM Voltage for the the DDR4-3800 CL14 spec? Sounds like some additional Voltage adjustment may be necessary. CL16 with less Voltage and heat also sounds great. It is less stress for the CPU thus less heat and more headroom for stability.

If CPU SoC 1.0V or any other Voltage is stable with a lower value, that's great, leave it, if the system is stable that's all that matters.

For the VDDP and VDDG, it should be around -50mV of CPU SoC, never to exceed, so it is likely you do not need to make any adjustment.

To see what values work best, use a memory benchmark test; then based on results, temperature, etc. you can decided which settings are best for you. Some times a lower DRAM Frequency can perform better/smoother or lower timings can be more unstable so it is best to test and see exactly what performs better on average.
          Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 05-06-2021, 03:40 PM.

Comment

UPDATE: I did not mention this, but I have been having a weird issue of spotty rpm/unresponsive fan bank, since I updated my bios. It turns out it was a loose connection in the 3 wire split to header, bad coincidence.
            ALSO, while leaving the computer sitting off for a few days, has fixed the voltage appearing in BIOS issue. I can see my readouts again.
            I can breathe easy now, knowing that I didint place some evil voodoo over my PC from RAM OCing. I do still have a question though, in response to your statement.

As you can tell I am using a trial version of AIDA64, im considering buying it, but I wanted to actually see some numbers right now, so I used it.
            I have a lot of these, at different ranges all over, I wont waste time posting every data detail, but I'll use these examples to ask my question, and answer yours.

I have tried my best to get 3800/CL14 to use less voltage but it will not come up with anything less than 1.51v. Im also too afraid to push more than this. I tried running an AIDA64 stress test, and it almost instantly failed. I have one bench mark run, and it matches the lower "3800mhz cl16 PAST" numbers almost identically. I tried again recently to make CL14 run, but it crashed the system while running the benchmark. Other than these times, I haven't ran it more than 1.44v, and haven't done much actual "gaming" stress testing, just lots of desktop idle/benchmark, just checking into programs and leaving, type of stuff.

Im just worried if my numbers seem OK, the most recent ones seem lower than what I have shown in the past. everything on the PC seems to be operating as usual, and no unusual voltages are present.

(it also seems that 3733CL16 @1.43v REALLY IS the best place to stay.)

Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3733cl16v143manualvolt.png
Views:	213
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	166818
            ^ 3733mhz CL16 @1.43v (MOST RECENT)

Name:	3800cl16v144manualvolt.png
Views:	218
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	166819
            ^ 3800mhz CL16 @1.44v (MOST RECENT)

Name:	revisedundervolt3733cl16.png
Views:	220
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	166820
            ^3733mhz CL16 (PAST)

Name:	3800cl16revisionundervolt.png
Views:	211
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	166821
            ^3800mhz CL16 (PAST)

Comment

Name:	image_1819.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	770.4 KB
ID:	166823

Name:	image_1821.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	725.0 KB
ID:	166824

Comment

Offtopic, I havent done too much testing with this setting because it falls over my personal 1.44v limit, but here is 3733mhz CL14 @1.48v. I just ran this and posted it immediately.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3733cl14_148v.png Views:	0 Size:	134.1 KB ID:	166826
                3733mhz CL14 1.48V
                Last edited by BunnyButt; 05-09-2021, 08:30 PM.

Comment

All of those look good as long as the system is fully stable. Once you find a good performance point, you can also look into secondary and tertiary timings to see if they are correct or improvement can be made. These values can change depending on the other settings input so you can consider fine tuning and manually inserting values to optimize capabilities.

Comment

You can go higher than 1.44V with single rank (2x8GB), surely up to 1.52V. Single rank is very cool, I had it at 40-45°C with a fan and 52°C without a fan. Dual rank (2x16GB) is way more problematic to get stable, it's at 50-60°C (from 3600 to 4400) with a fan, so that makes it impossible to get any kind of stability at over default XMP 3600. Though Prime95 Large is perfectly stable 18h+ on 4400 17-17-17, but I don't think that counts. But I'm sure it's stable enough so I won't get BSODs. But I'm still trying to get anything better than XMP 3600 14-15-15 Karhu stable.

My experience of highest stable voltage on 3600 CL14 or 4000 CL16, but that probably depends a lot on case cooling:
                    single rank: 1.59V
                    dual rank: 1.53V
                    Last edited by GrimReaper; 05-18-2021, 03:19 AM.

Comment

when I was trying for 3800, I was inching up on voltage, and finally it caught on whatever I entered (1.46v or 1.47v) but it loaded up as 1.523v. I can now get it to load with 1.444v, but sometimes I get struggles to boot, esp if after a hard run of gaming, and I dont let it cool off. I basically need a Turbo Timer for my computer before I attempt a restart.

Today I gave in and upped it to 1.452v after going through 9 of my 10 boot attempts after leaving the PC alone for well over a week. I just felt like I had been taught that this high voltage is not good, but maybe I still need more if I want a more constant 3800cl16. (I feel like 3800cl14@1.523v still gives me some issues. I just dont see what it can offer me, as in gaming.)

Can anyone tell me what numbers are expected for the L3 Cache? Is something wrong with mine? (damaged ram or mobo?)

In a forum specific to my mobo, someone told me my L3 cache speeds are "not up to par."
                      Said I needed to install the "Driver fix for the memory cache from MSI.com" No other explanations given.
                      I am running the latest Beta Bios from MSI and I have long before downloaded and installed the AMD chipset drivers from AMD.com. I dont know what else I could be missing, but I also dont know what kind of L3 Cache numbers I am supposed to get?

I get the same kind of L3 cache numbers all the way down to 3200mhz

Click image for larger version  Name:	recent3800cl16.png Views:	0 Size:	134.4 KB ID:	166895

Comment

Working...
                      X