Overclock Timings Short Cheat Sheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclock Timings Short Cheat Sheet

Thought i would share some ram overclock timings with everyone so we all can do something cool that makes no real world difference lol.

These timings were done with the TridentZ 3600MHz kit F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR.

The following overclocks were achieved on a MSI MEG Z390 ACE motherboard with a i9-9900K. Your results might very. If you have issues try keeping command rate at auto or 2. You might have to inch the voltage up a tad but i don't suggest going crazy with voltage at all.

I am able to overclock the RAM at the settings below and run stable. I spent HOURS playing with the timings to find a good set that would run stable. If you find a solid stable timings at another frequency or even one listed below please share.

3733MHz - 16-16-16-38 1.36v - I do command rate 1 for benchmarking only. otherwise auto (2) is just fine.

4000MHz - 18-20-20-40 1.36v - Can't get a post at command rate 1 at this overclock. Can only get a post by setting the command rate to auto (2) but it works and runs at 4000MHz

4133MHz - 19-19-19-36 1.36v - Same as above.
    Last edited by NotoriouS^; 04-14-2020, 10:11 AM.

Do you have some screenshots with the full timings and benchmarks that show the performance gains?

If you can run 4133 with tRCD/tRP 19, your kit should be able to do so at 4000 as well (esp at the same voltage).
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thanks for posting.
      I joined this forum to get help like this.
      My DRAM is slightly different:

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200Mhz DIMM CAS 16 F4-3200C16D-32GTZR (16-18-18-38)

I have only been able to get stable 3400Mhz at 16-19-19-37 at 1.360v Comand rate of 1.
      These sticks report as Samsung B-Die in Thaiphoon burner but the sticker on the side relates to Samsung C-Die instead - a common issue with Thaiphoon not reporting correctly.
      I used Karhu RAM test overnight at 9000% which is rock solid stability.
      Can't figure out how to get any higher, and not sure it's worth it unless I can get close to 4000Mhz.

Appreciate some insights.
      Last edited by Globespy; 07-13-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

With a Zen2 based system you basically want to aim for max 1:1 ratio, so either 3733/1866 or 3800/1900 in most cases. If your setup can't handle that, 3600/1800 should be easy enough. Samsung 8Gbit C-Die usually don't have issues to hit those frequencies. However at some point their low voltage tolerance will kick in and then you have to raise timings to go higher (which often allows/requires voltage reduction).

On Intel just max out memory frequency and then optimize timings afterwards. Also don't worry about using higher primary timings, you will get more than enough performance out of the frequency-bump and from tweaking secondary and tertiary timings.
        Last edited by emissary42; 07-14-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I am running an Intel system:
          i7 8086K
          AsRock Z370 Extreme4

There's no way if I choose any of the built in pre-sets beyond 3600 that the system will boot into Windows, and if it does it will BSOD quickly.
          I've tried increasing DRAM voltage and at the motherboard's built in 3600 preset there are errors during memory testing.
          When choosing the motherboard 3400 preset I had to change the stocking timings (16-18-18-38) to 16-19-19-37 to boot and pass extensive memory stability testing.

Appreciate if you could elaborate on what you are asking me to try - sorry, I am relatively new to DRAM overclocking.
          Are you saying just leave all the primary timings on auto?
          Thanks.
          Last edited by Globespy; 07-14-2020, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Are you using the latest BIOS? Do you have modules in slots 2 and 4 away from the CPU? With XMP profile enabled, manually adjust DRAM Frequency to see what value can work. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Globespy View Post
              Appreciate if you could elaborate on what you are asking me to try - sorry, I am relatively new to DRAM overclocking. Are you saying just leave all the primary timings on auto?
              That was not exactly, what I was recommending but it can also work in some cases. If you are very new to memory overclocking, this is nice guide both for starters and deeper dives into that rabbit hole:

https://github.com/integralfx/MemTes...0OC%20Guide.md

Comment

Thanks.
                I identified the code on the sticker on the side of each stick to be:
                04240M8410C

I can't find this specifically but it would seem to indicate Samsung C-Die because it ends in 10C.
                Can you advise on voltage limits?

The AsRock Timings config doesn't tell me anything not in the BIOS already? Is there some other use for this tool that maybe I'm missing?

Comment

Yes, from the product code they are Samsung 8Gbit C-Die.

ASRock Timing Configurator or ASUS MemTweakIt have two important uses:

1) Checking what values the motherboard trained those timings, that were left on auto and if their values are consistent from start to start.
                  2) To exchange data about your configuration and performance with others. That is also what I am taking it for in my user reviews, example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	G.SKILL Trident Z Royal F4-4000C19D-32GTRS_4000c16.png
Views:	2276
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	164920

Comment

Working...
                  X