No announcement yet.

Ram for Z77 board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Core vs Quad (and the newer ones are more efficient, I generally suggest waiting a few days before any real OCing anyway to give your thermal compound a bit of time cure (even the 'fast' setting ones..............and then the next step would be another SSD and put the two in RAID 0, that really flies, I've got a pair of Sniper 120s set up that way and it's easy a 35-50% increase, plus if you set them up with the Intel Storeage and Win7, can just move the RAID from one system to another, I pulled mine out of my P67 and straight into the Z and it basically took about 15 min for Win7 to load drivers for the new mobo/cpu and had my whole system back - all apps and everything...love that for testing to....just have to reactivate Win because of all the hardware changes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yeah I spent $1475 for the current build I did, and my budget was $1500, if I go over that wife will kill me =)

At this point I think I won't add another SSD. What I am thinking maybe in another year I buy 2 more bigger SSD and hoping prices drop, since I seen the Crucial M4 256 GB SSD go down to $200 today which is a great price, when I spent $130 on the 128

Do you think it worth it play with memory timings? What different will it make? Is there any benchmark program I can use to see?

Comment

MaxxMem is a good one that you can use to see copy, read, write speeds and latency.....and if you have any spare time it's always interesting to play with the DRAM, jot down settings as you experiment and run MaxxMem to see the differences. Not sure what exact set you have but most all GSkill sticks OC well, fully imagine with your rig, you could run them at least at 1866 without much problem.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So i enabled the XMP proflie 1, only had choice for one profile.

In bios it looked good, when I rebooted and ran zpu-z it shows this? Is this right? Some of the memory is different speeds

The set I have is this one:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231429

Comment

The memory tab shows what you are currently running, the other screen shot of the SPD tab shows the settings in the sticks - far right is the XMP settings oyu can enable (spec settings) the other show what some base settings that are quasi following JEDEC DRAM Standards, so since it's correct, looks like your good to go

Tman

Comment

Awesome!

I just played my first game of BF3 with this new build, wow what an amazing difference @ 1080p, I was able to put everything on Ultra, and was getting anywhere from 73-100 FPS online, smooth as butter, no hiccups or stuttering.

Compared to my old machine I had to play it at 1680x1050 and all medium settings and lucky if I got 30-40 FPS...LOL

Comment

Great isn't it! Powerful systems are addicting........

Tman

Comment

Yes it is, nice to have a system that is top of the line for a change, but I know that won't last long but still feels great for now!

I got a question maybe you know since you seem very knowledgeable:

On my front case where I can plug headphones, I have two connectors they are sort of split off eachother, one for HD Audio, and the other says AC97.

Which one should I use? to plug into the onboard audio? Does it matter? The UD5H has the Realtek ALC898 and also came with Creative XF-I software

I am guessing HD audio but not sure which is better. Also it looks I can only plug in one or the other I think.

Also in the manual it says to make sure you connect it properly or can damage something, it looks like my case has them all in one block and cannot change how to plug it in. I take it that means it does not matter how I plug it in? since don't have many choices.

Last edited by tannor; 05-05-2012, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Need to check your case specs and see which it supports as the two different types of Audio use the same typ plug, but different pinouts, if you only have one plug for the front audio on the case it's prob stack hd Audio, the AC uses the same plug but as said a different pinout.

Tman

Comment

My case actually has one cable, and at the end of it is 2 connections daisy chained, one end says HD Audio, and the other says AC'97

I was going to try the HD Audio but was not sure if i should just plug it in? I did not know how to compare the pins to make sure it matches up? It also wont allow me to change the pins for HD Audio it looks like a solid block of pins

Comment

Should be an emty one, from the side 2nd from right on top, I think. Give both a try and I'd suggest with headphones through the Front Panel and see which sounds best, just me but I lean a little towards the AC, might try with a favorite sound or two or a surround sound type of movie

Tman

Comment

GA-Z77X-UD5H, i7-3770k and G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL

F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL are X vs the approved Z , anyone experience any issue running these at 4x 4gb @1866mhz on the z77-ud5h board with a 3rd gen intel ?

Comment

Actually the Z series is geared towards socket 2011 and true full quad channel (I know the Z designator is a misnomer) For the Z series mobos, I'd first go Trident, Then Ripjaws X, then a tossup between Snipers and Ripjaws Z.

Tman

Comment

newegg has the X 4x4gb out the door for 101.00 , my budget was 100

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL

gigabyte does not have the X on the approved list with the ud5 , its the Z
                              F3-14900CL9Q-16GBZL

wish i could afford the trident , but 16gb @1866 is in the budget , intel likes the X ver , but just not sure about gigabyte ,

the sabertooth x79 had a lot of issue with this particular # F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL, hoping the z77 like it . just looking for confirmation .

Comment

Yes they work fine, as to what's on the QVL they test with whatever they have available and test at the mobo default of 1600 - which is sort of nice that GB even states it now on their QVL...I don't have any Tridents yet, but have tested on the Z77 with a variety of Ripjaws, Ripjaws X , Ripjaws Z and Snipers from 1600-2133, 8-32GB all are good w/ the chipset.

"Memory modules listed below are for reference only. Due to massive memory models on the market, we can only verify some of them"

There's a thread on QVL info here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Tman

Comment

Working...
                                X