removal of ripsaw x series heat spreader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removal of ripsaw x series heat spreader

Just wondering if its possible to remove the heat spreaderfrom the Ripjaw x series.
    The data sheet says they are 40mm high, unfortunatly I am using a Phanteks PH-TC14CS cooler with a RAM clearence of 32mm, This has meant that I only get to use one of the possible 2 fans.
    Am asking as the use of a top flow cpu cooler will blast the memory with air so begging the queston is the heat spreader required.
    Either that, or bend the cooler , or ditch it and get something different. ( trouble is am limited in height in my case. Hence the top flow cpu cooler.

Yes, it is possible to remove. First, make sure the RAM is good, passes all tests, etc.

Next, hopefully you have a hair dryer or heat gun to warm it up a little. This will make it easier to separate the adhesive from the chips. Once that is done, slowly pry apart the heat spreader and they should be removable.

Any physical damage will void your G.Skill lifetime warranty, so be careful. Or you can contact the RMA dept. to see if they can exchange for Ares, which is low profile.

Keep us posted on the result.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
    X