P9X79 Deluxe unstable at any speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P9X79 Deluxe unstable at any speed

I'm new to this forum but am familiar with PC integration & setup.
    I have an Asus P9X79 Deluxe build that is completely unstable in all scenarios.
    I should mention that I have not been trying to overclock this system.
    I just want a stable platform for some large format printing RIP.

Here is the spec:

- Asus P9X79 Deluxe BIOS 4005
    - G Skill DDR3 F3-14900CL10-8GBZL (2 sets for a a total of 64GB)
    - Nvidia 660 TI
    - Crucial M4-CT512MSSD2 SSD (boot device)
    - Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166 x 2 (6TB striped RAID0)
    - 800 Watt Power Supp.
    - Intel i7 3930K

This system has never been stable on any setting; manual, XMP or Auto.

I've read that the memory can only be used as packaged, ie 32 GB (not 2 sets x 32 GB used together) due to timing issues.

However, when I populate the system with either set of 32 GB only, the system does not respond any differently as compared to the original failure scenario with 64GB on board.

I am at my wits end on this.

Mobo & ram has been rma'd.

- Any ideas as to what I might try???

Many thanks in advance for any replies here.

Think I would try each set by itself initially, enable XMP and try that...if no joy try taking the VTTCPU and VCCSA to 1.2, if still no joy, POST up the timings XMP sets things to, both the base timings (should be 10-11-10-30, 2T) as well as the advanced timings. We've got another member having weird problems using this same BIOS...

Also, yes you're right, any time you mix sets it can be problematic, XMP is programmed into the SPD of the sticks by the packaged set, and while the base timings may be the same for a 1, 2, 3, 4, 8 stick package, the advanced timings will differ, particularly tRFC, say for a 16GB set of DRAM it may take 208 a 32GB set might take 278 or higher, so when mixing the advanced tuimings have to be set manually and it often requires higher DRAM, MC and/or System Agent voltage (and that's if the two will even play nice together)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tman,
      Many thanks for your reply!
      I started this system on BIOS 3305, then 3408, then 3501, now 4005.
      All BIOS respond the same.
      I will try your suggestions & let you know how I make out.
      Thx again!!

Comment

Tman,
        I tried your settings with no luck, and as mentioned have already tried a 32gb configuration using the DDR3 referenced.
        - Is there a 64 GB memory package for the P9X79 Deluxe that is "Known To Be Good?"
        - At this point I just want a working system...
        Thx for any replies..

Comment

GSkill shows as having tested 3 sets that passed. A 1333, a 1600 and a 2133 set (model #s below):

F3-10666CL9Q2-64GBZL, F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL, F3-17000CL11Q2-64GBZLD

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK & thanks.

However, when I consulted the GSkill approved memory list for the P9X79 Deluxe, the memory I purchased was also on an "approved" list.

I understand that the banks sets I have cannot be used in tandem, but I cannot get even one set to work manual, XMP or auto...

So my question would be: How likely is it to get this system running or should I just get something else?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Comment

What exactly is happening? You do not mention the exact problem, so it is difficult to know what is going on or how to help. The memory is compatible, so either there is a problem with the motherboard or installation if not one module will work properly.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

OK, for example:

The system routinely bluescreens in Photoshop CS6;
                Intel Processor diagnostic Tool fails (bluescreen) on Load Level 8;
                Windows system performance test fails (no blue Screen);
                Mouse performance is buggy;
                Wacom Tablet driver installation has bluescreened system;
                Asus Bios "auto" setting fails with "F1 - Overclock Failure" every time.

-- Does anyone happen to know if the nvidia 660 TI controller is problematical?

Sometimes with CPU turbo mode turned off & ram speed limited to 1066 the system will pass the Intel Processor diagnostic Tool...

The system was "stable" (although buggy) at 3.2 & 1066.
                Then add wacom tablet drivers & now back to no work accomplished on this machine at all.

All feedback welcome & thanks again for posting.

Comment

With one module installed and XMP enabled, these problems remain consistent with each module?

Each stick should work fine in slot A2.

Did you hard reset BIOS?

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

OK, I'll try each stick & hard reset.
                    - Although all ram has been rma'd once and shows no error in BIOS report.
                    Thanks...

Comment

Any luck with the reset?

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X