Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do about Q-Code 22 - Pre-memory PCH initialization

G.Skill Support.
    I’ve been trying to troubleshoot an issue now for 3+ weeks. I’m thinking my issue may be RAM related and I’m hoping you can help.
    System:
    Asus – Z9PE-D8 WS
    Processors: Intel – Xeon 2687w (2x)
    Memory: G.Skill, Ripjaw Z series, 8x8(64GB) 1866, 14900, 9,9,9,24
    Coolers: Corsair H100i (2x)
    Windows 7 64 Ultimate.
    SSD’s: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB for OS, another 840 Pro for Users, Profile
    Power Supply: EVGA NEX1500
    The error that keeps coming up is ASUS Q-Code 22. "Pre-memory PCH initialization has started".
    I’ve had 3 different motherboards through RMA process. In addition, I’ve not only reset the CMOS, but I’ve tried installing a new CMOS chip from ASUS. And this error comes up every time. I'm using the latest BIOS, 3302
    The system seems to run fine, but I have not yet really tested the system. It runs very basic things fine like email and internet browsing. I have yet to install my core programs and use the system for its intended purpose because I’m trying to resolve the 22 error first. I don’t want to get to a critical point and have some memory related error killing my work.
    I’ve seen other forums discuss this "Pre-memory PCH initialization has started" issue and the reason I’m concerned is that on other forums people with this error can’t even boot their system. I’m able to boot the system every time, but I’m concerned I may be sitting on a time bomb since others find this error with terrible circumstances.
    BIOS Settings: I have tried setting everything to AUTO. I have tried manually setting the timings to factory settings: 9,9,9,24. I have also tried manually setting the voltage to factory settings: 1.5V. This board’s BIOS doesn’t have a specific X.M.P. setting, but setting to AUTO is supposed to enable XMP is available. I haven’t tried alternate timings or voltages yet. I was hoping to get some suggestions from this forum.

OH, In addition to previous BIOS setting. I have changed the BIOS memory speed setting to: "Force 1600" Although the Ram is rated at 1866, The Xeon 2687w processors are locked and don't allow any overclocking. And through research the fastest RAM speed that is truly stable is 1600. So, I have tried "Forcing" the speed to 1600 and also kept it at Auto. I've have better results with the BIOS set to "Force" and that is where it is currently set.

Comment

What actual set or sets of DRAM do you have, am guessing a pair of F3-1866C9Q-32GZH sets, if so XMP won't work as the XMP parameters are programmed by the set (here would be for a 4x8GB set). If it's an actual single packaged set of 64GB or different from what I guessed, let us know the model #

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
        What actual set or sets of DRAM do you have, am guessing a pair of F3-1866C9Q-32GZH sets, if so XMP won't work as the XMP parameters are programmed by the set (here would be for a 4x8GB set). If it's an actual single packaged set of 64GB or different from what I guessed, let us know the model #
        My ram is 2 sets of these:
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231626

Comment

Couple of things, they have had problems with auto-tune on a number of mobos, and as I mentioned XMP isn't going to work, so I would suggest go ahead and enable XMP, reboot, and then manually go to the base timings and enter them that way, same with the Command Rate to 2T, then go to the voltages and set the DRAM voltage to 1.55 - 1.56, and disable Internal PLL Overvoltage....give that a try and if any problems post up your other system voltages and also your DRAM advanced/secondary timings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

so I would suggest go ahead and enable XMP,
            XMP in my BIOS is either AUTO or Manual. In Manual mode I would then have to select a BCLK Frequency. Currently it is set to Auto. What do you suggest?

manually go to the base timings and enter them that way, same with the Command Rate to 2T, then go to the voltages and set the DRAM voltage to 1.55 - 1.56,
            I manually set the voltages in the Primary Timings to factory settings.
            I did manually increase the voltage. I tried voltage 1.55 first that didn't work so I tried 1.56 and still nothing.
            I did set the DRAM Command Mode to 2. I'm assuming that is the same as 2T.

and disable Internal PLL Overvoltage....
            I wasn't able to find anything in my BIOS that said PLL or Overvoltage.
            Under Chipset Configuration I have, Isoc=Enabled, QPI Link Speed Mode=Fast, QPI Link Frequency=Auto, QPI Link0s=Disabled, QPI Link 0p=Disabled, QPI Link1=Enabled.
            Under Memory Configuration; I have Memory Mode=Independent, Numa=Enabled, Channel Interleaving=Auto, Rank Interleaving=Auto, Patrol Scrub=Disabled, Demand Scrub=Disabled, Data Scrambling=Disabled, Device Tagging=Disabled, Thermal Throttling=CLTT, Enable High Temp=Disabled, Allow 2X refresh=Disabled. There's more but I don't think it's related to RAM and this issue.

and if any problems post up your other system voltages and also your DRAM advanced/secondary timings
            I don't think I have a place to increase the other system voltages and if I did, I'm not sure what to set them to.
            Also, I'm not familiar enough with the secondary timings to tweak with them. What do you recommend? Currently the Auto setting is: RAS#Delay=5, REF Cycle Time=208, WRITE Recovery Time=12, Read to PRE Time=6, ACT WIN Time=24, Write to Read Delay=6

Thanks for your help.

Comment

I'll drop GSkill Tech a note to take a look

Tman

Comment

I'll drop GSkill Tech a note to take a look
                Thank you. I look forward to your response.

Comment

He'll prob be in Wed

Tman

Comment

He'll prob be in Wed
                    Tradesman,
                    Has there been any progress on this issue?
                    Thanks

Comment

I haven't really been able to spend much time on the site recently, I'll drop GSkill and Gskill Tech another note to take a look

Tman

Comment

Hi,

Have you ever try boot up with one DIMM only? If all memory modules shows the same result as "22", the issue should be other components, also run the Memtest to see if any errors occurred.

Comment

Yes, I have tried booting the computer with only 1 stick of RAM. I've tried 1 stick for each processor and get the same result - Code 22.
                          I will try running memtest and see what happens.

Comment

If single sticks aren't working would suggest checking the CPUs for possible thermal compound or debris on bottom, also check sockets for bent/broken pins, while it's possible all the sticks are bad, I find it highly unlikely...though in shipping or something may have been exposed to a magnetic field or something like that, have seen sticks damaged that way.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X