Dvd drives called cd drive in 'my computer'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dvd drives called cd drive in 'my computer'

Here is a picture so you can see how it is acting.

Picture:

I have to double click into the disc root and manually click the .exe's to install games/software which is very annoying.
    It use to work fine then all of a sudden it says CD drives when I clearly have x2 sata dvd burners.

I have already tried to troubleshoot by doing the following:

-Uninstall both DVD Drives from device manager / Scan for new H/W Changes / Reboot
    -Used the Microsoft Fix It application

My Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Memory: G.Skill F2-8500CL5-2GBPK 2GBx4 8GB
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P rev. 1.6
    DVD Drives: ASUS DRW-24B1ST / Lite-On iHAS124-04
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Any help will be very thankful.

Jbrizzel-
    Last edited by Jbrizzel; 02-20-2013, 11:59 PM.

COuld be a few things, XP had a few quirks with cd vs DVD vs combo drives, if last disk inserted was a CD it might refer to both as CD drivers, a corrupt driver could cause it

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      COuld be a few things, XP had a few quirks with cd vs DVD vs combo drives, if last disk inserted was a CD it might refer to both as CD drivers, a corrupt driver could cause it
      I still haven't figured it out

Comment

Could try reloading the drivers, or even removing both (drivers and hardware, then re hooking up and see how the default reads it

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yeah, I uninstalled the drives in device manager then shut down computer,
          un hooked both sata and sata power on both drives, booted back up to windows,
          shut down, re hooked everything back, started back up and it's still CD Drives!

Comment

Off hand, don't know, will try and see what I can find over the weekend when I have some free time

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
              Off hand, don't know, will try and see what I can find over the weekend when I have some free time
              Thanks Tradesman.

Comment

Nothing definite. A fair amount with XP and IDE nVidia drivers, saw one where the person deleted the drivers and then the drives from device manager, killed the system pulled the drives, went back in made sure nothing in device manager, then off again, reinstalled (with a DVD in the drive already) and that supposedly 'fixed' it

Tman

Comment

Alright, will try that out.

PS: The Image Verification is VERY annoying!

Comment

Will pass that along to GSkill (and good luck)

Tman

Comment

Hi, do you have Autoplay set to automatically run .exe files?
                      I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Comment

Hi, I'm new to the board and want to start my account on helping something. I found this is easy start for me and so thought of helping you. But I think I'll have to Google. Generally, this will fix it in most of the cases- -Uninstall both DVD Drives from device manager / Scan for new H/W Changes / Reboot. Now as it is not working for you, I'll have to search for a solution and let you know about it.

Comment

Thanks for jumping in!

Tman

Comment

Still I did not identify it.I will try to identify,

Comment

Working...
                            X