Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow as Molasses: Desktop PCs

Hey guys,

This is more a personal request than for friends, but I tend to get this question a lot: How do you speed up your computer?

I know I've experienced some seriously slow Desktop PCs in my time and I've always opted to deleting programs, cookies, search history, clear out old files etc. but even after all that, sometimes I still experience super slow load times with programs and start-up. Any recommendations? I mean, at that point is it a hardware upgrade or a software installation you'd be looking for?

Thanks,

KylaB

In addition to what you are doing, can also defrag the Harddrive. Ensure DRAM timings are to spec. If you have enough DRAM set up a RAM disk. Then would come OCing the CPU. After that would be investing in more DRAM or maybe an SSD.....depending on the system maybe a faster CPU.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok, had to do a little translating but I think I understand what you're saying lol

I have done defrags in the past (sometimes to only a temporary effect). Double checking the timing specs though could be tricky for me. I have no idea how to go about this, though I understand you might need outside software to determine times are testing to specs. - is this correct? Or is there a way to do it off the PC without an additional download?

Also, I thought DRAM and RAM were the same thing when discussing desktop PCs? Am I misunderstanding here? Either way, the concept of a RAM Disk vs the Harddrive confuses me a bit (no matter how many YouTube videos I watch). I guess this is why I am asking this question as I'm trying to determine if I would be able to do this on my own. Considering what you said (and the definitions I have been able to find for your jargon - sorry, such a noob lol) I doubt I would be able to execute this without seriously messing something up.

Would you have any software recommendations that I might be able to include in addition to everything I listed above plug the defrag you recommended? Or would that just be a bandaid?

Thanks,

Noobie Kyla (lol)

Comment

If you find the model of your DRAM (there should be a sticker on the sticks), you can Google it to get the base timings it should be - then can down;oad CPU-Z (free) and run it, check the info under the Memory tab and it will tell you what timings you are running.

For the most part the terms DRAM and RAM are interchangeable though DRAM is the sticks you install, RAM itself is the memory on the sticks, there's also RAM on videocards, there's a small amount of RAM in your CPU in the form of a cache.

A harddrive is just that - a part installed in your PC that contains platters that hold your programs, data, photos, videos, etc. A RAM drive or disk is where you set aside a certain amount of your DRAM (via a software program) and utilize that as basically a small harddrive. DataRAM has a free version of the software that supports up to a 4GB RAMDrive. Once established you can redirect temp files, recurring data, browsers caches even programs on it for basically immediate access - since the programs/data are in RAM, access is immediate as opposed as to pulling off a harddrive where the head has to first find the data then read it off the platter - more here:

http://memory.dataram.com/products-a...ftware/ramdisk

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

wow thanks, awesome information!

one last question: is there a rule of thumb to what you would want to keep on the harddrive and what you would want to consider migrating over to a RAM Disk? I assume the more permanent programs would want to be held on the harddrive...or perhaps just the ones you don't use frequently? And on the flip side you might want to store temporary programs and files on the RAM Disk or ones that you use frequently so that they perform faster?

Thanks a bunch TMan, I appreciate all the help!

KB

Comment

With temp files/cache files, etc you'd want to redirect them to the RAM drive for the access speed, as far as regular programs, I normally keep utility programs and things like that....Have to remember that a RAMDrive is just in memory, if the system crashes, you'll lose whatever is in there...also it slows startup and shutdown, since when you shutdown (if you have it set up this way) it will write all the data to the harddrive, then at start up, it all has to load to the RAM Drive from the harddisk. Many of my clients just leave there systems run 24/7 and just for safety, if they get up and leave the system will copy all to a harddrive anyway

Tman

Comment

Understood. So the memory space that the RAMdisk would live in gets wiped and saved to the harddrive with every power cycle? Idk this seems like a lot of work to just get quick functionality back to a slow/old pc. I could see where this would be useful if you're a hardcore comp user but for word processing and Internet access etc it seems it would be easier to just dl some software...you have an opinion on PC Tools? I was thinking about recommending their PC Power Boost (http://www.pctools.com/pc-power-boost/) I feel like its pretty trustworthy as a Symantec product but I've only ever used Norton.

Thanks Tman

-KB

Comment

Not a big fan of these utility packages, and for this one (last time I looked it was about $70, thogh I'm sure there are specials available) I suggest investing the money in a SSD or in more DRAM if you really want to speed things up....you can pick up a 60-64GB SSD for about the same price or a little lessm which is sufficient for your OS and prob most all of your primary apps, then can leave the others and keep most of your data on the platter drive you already have. That will by far boost performance more than a utility package - besides most all the 'utilities' included in these packages have like products out there for free

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tman I really appreciate the help. LAST Question: does this apply to Mac and pc's alike?

Comment

Yes, A SSD uses RAM chips as the storage media vs the platters of a mechanical drive, while not as fast as a true RAM drive (data still flows from the drive through the cables, etc) it is one of the most effective things you can buy for an immediate speed increase overall

Tman

Comment

Regarding long boot times, an alternative is to familiarize yourself with msconfig's Startup tab. You can uncheck unnecessary programs on boot. For example, I always have to disable Java and Adobe related stuff (unless you use adobe suite often). There's also Google Update and a few other things that clutter startup times.

You can also use CCleaner (PC only) to clean files, and they also offer access to the msconfig list under their "tools" tab. I find it rather useful.

But if your computer is running updated/recent software and still have less than 1GB of RAM... I'd say it's time to upgrade. My 4 year old netbook is barely chugging along at 1GB of RAM... =_=
                      ultra terminum

Comment

There's another program, WinPatrol, that has a free version, that let's you monitor startup programs and allows you to remove them or simply disable (and can then re-enable if it causes a problem) programs if you aren't sure about them can find it here:

http://www.winpatrol.com/

Tman

Comment

Thanks so much TMan! Can't wait to try it!! Hopefully I don't mess it up lol

Comment

That's a nice thing about WinPatrol, with the ability to disable something, you can always re-enable it - with MSCONFIG you might have to reload the entire app. If you see anything you aren't sure what it is or if it's needed, you can generally Google the file/executable name and find out what it is. Many programs load squibs of code at the start of Win to enable the program to open faster once you need it, problem with that is they take up DRAM, so in particular with older systems or systems that are short on DRAM it eats up your resources.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X