I'm THINKING faulty stick, wbu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm THINKING faulty stick, wbu?

You will see specs from images, you will see missing ram.
    Windows 7 and BIOS both can detect all sticks but Windows will only use 3.
    I'm going to test each stick separately but before I do, what do you think the problem is?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ALSO, with this cpu i think at the stock Freq. the max clocking is 1600. Am I right? Because I haven't been able to clock over 1600 without the mobo beeping three or four times (not sure what that meant)
    Does anyone have a link for overclocking on a fx-8350? or advice?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECS:

CURRENT RAM STATUS:

CPU:

MOBO:
    ASrock 990fx extreme3 BIOS: 2.5

EXACT TIMING OF EACH STICK:
    RAM
    Memory slots
    Total memory slots 4
    Used memory slots 4
    Free memory slots 0
    Memory
    Type DDR3
    Size 16384 MBytes
    Channels # Dual
    DRAM Frequency 573.3 MHz
    CAS# Latency (CL) 7 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 7 clocks
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 7 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 19 clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 26 clocks
    Physical Memory
    Memory Usage 21 %
    Total Physical 12 GB
    Available Physical 9.34 GB
    Total Virtual 24 GB
    Available Virtual 21 GB
    SPD
    Number Of SPD Modules 4
    Slot #1
    Type DDR3
    Size 4096 MBytes
    Manufacturer G.Skill
    Max Bandwidth PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Part Number F3-14900CL9-4GBXL
    SPD Ext. EPP
    XMP--2
    Frequency
    XMP--2
    Frequency
    JEDEC #6
    Frequency 838.1 MHz
    CAS# Latency 11.0
    RAS# To CAS# 11
    RAS# Precharge 11
    tRAS 30
    tRC 41
    Voltage 1.500 V
    ETC.....
    Last edited by bhash; 10-03-2013, 11:42 AM. Reason: Cleaning
    C;p:#:thon2.3

Couple of things to try, first reseat them all too see if that fixes the issue, if not, use only one stick get into bios, get it set how you want it, exit and power down, insert other 3 sticks see if that works, if not finally test each stick individually. This will let you know which stick is the culprit. (don't forget it always could be the mobo, so use same slot for each test)
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Thanks for the advice on individual DIMM testing, that is good to know. I just think its the weirdest thing that it detects the RAM but doesn't use it.
      I will post results when i get home, and just a side note im not as much worred about timing as I am detection of the actual ram :P
      Again good info, would you test all sticks in all four slots if you cant figure out whats wrong?

Comment

To check for bad sticks it's really only usefull to check them one at a time, and again keep using same slot, If all 4 sticks pass, pick one stick and check all 4 slots (to check the board out) if that works then perhaps you have issues with them playing together, but I think you'll either get it fixed reseating them all, or find a bad stick/slot. Once you find all 16gb we can work on getting them up to speed/timings. I agree with you there!
        ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Exactly Thanks you for clarification had a rough morning too much coffee lol. Just one last quick question. While adding volts to CPU in .05~.1 increments is it harmful to go over?
          Also, is it harmful to get incorrect timing/CPU o/c combo that resets bios/settings and hear beeps?
          I know that doesn't make too much sense but im kind of a noob to messing with this bios.

EDIT; If ram prevents boot can i assume that one is the issue? that hasn't happened yet but just want to know. And thanks for the help, theyre not even paying you i wish i could give rep

++++++REP
          Last edited by bhash; 10-03-2013, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Here is a guide for you:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=11742

If one boots and the other does not, then you know it is one bad module. Don't forget tests should be done on individual sticks.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

None of what I suggested is harmful, and failing to boot (unless you have a crazy high voltage) won't hurt anything, just takes time to get everything lined out. there is rep of sort on this forum (click the little scale looking thing in top right of post, not why I try to help but that is the answer.

Comment

Update

UPDATE!!
                Installed some drivers (broadcam and etron usb 3.0) not sure how this helped but im now at 15GB out of 16GB. Did no swapping at all..anyone know how this could be?

I guess i only have 13GB avail witch is still less than i had before. but it's an improvement. However confusing it may me.

Comment

ALSO; axtu is the asrock tuning utility although i didnt touch it at all.

Comment

oops sorry i just looked back at other picture and this makes sense(i think)wtf is happening?????
                    am i losing RAM???

sry all im tired

Comment

Only things i could imagine installing to fix it are, 1) update bios 2)update chipset drivers, 3) remove memory, reseat. No other installs should help do anything. I'm beginning to lean toward

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma, but you can try all that first if you wish.

Comment

yeah I tried all 4 dimms in each ram slow, rarely I would get a normal one then reset to confirm, the BAM 2.6 gb avail out of whatever. IDK I TRIED EVERYTHING, these ram sticks have been plagueing me for the past week. The crappy part is I don't remember where I bought them from. Can you still rma them if you don't remember? I'm 99 percent sure it was newegg. but it was a guest account.. :/
                        I have most recent bios. tried on windows 8 (yes I installed windows 8 flto diagnose heartbreaking ram..)

ill have some more pics of results later. although on a lighter note I managed to get them to run at their advertised speed (1866) had to OC the cpu 20% but whatev.

ill probably sell on Craig's List advertising 14gig of ram when the sticks add up to 16.

it was so odd. sometimes the sticks would work perfect then next restart, no change, one stick. it would be cut in half or thirds.

Comment

The warranty is with Gskill, and by everything I've seen is transferable, so I dont' think it matters where or when you bought them they will take them back and either repair or replace them. They have a lifetime warranty. That is really strange, make sure all your power connecters are in completely as well to all part of your motherboard, unlikely but who knows?

Comment

Feel free to send them in for RMA exchange to see if a new kit works better:

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                              Feel free to send them in for RMA exchange to see if a new kit works better:

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Thanks both of you, I was having those thoughts of never going g.skill again but support and product is great. Here are some more pics, dont feel like explaining them but basically its me trying every dimm in every slot. Working fully like 23% of the time.

Something important to me is having memory for my computer, i hate to admit it, but it's kind of my life. I got to school online dont have laptop. guess i could try the library...gosh im so worried now.

ignore the writing lol this is 1st stick tried in all slots i thought he would be the only one. I had 1/4 working all the way the first try then he went down to this;

seond try on all slots

etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X