Best RAM for Ivy Bridge system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best RAM for Ivy Bridge system

I am building a computer for the first time in 6 years. The computer will be built arround a Ivy Bridge i5 3450 and a Z77 chip set motherboard. I will be using it for gaming, Word, and Power Point. . . . . But mostly gaming.

I would like to make full use of the Ivy Bridge Z77 systems memory for its intended purpose of gaming and minor productivity software.

First question: 8GBs or 4GBs . . . . Why get more than 4BGs?

Second question: 1333 or 1600 . . . . Why get 1600 over 1333?

I have found many system configuration recomendations but no recomendations that explains why the memory installed is chosen.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

If these are the only choices, I'd go 1600/8GB (2x4GB)....With most games, they list minimum requirements which is often 2GB of DRAM, whatever is listed I would always suggest a minimum of twice that amount and preferably more as you need to account for system overhead, otherprograms that load bits and pieces at startup, and keep in mind most all GPUs will want to 'share' some of your DRAM, additional DRAM will improve performance....sort of like MS saying that XP or Vista could run on 512 of DRAM...yeah it would............but then look at it with 2 or even 1GB of DRAM........a world of difference. As far as 1333 or 1600, the faster the better and it will be better in the long run, though going IB I'd suggest using the enhanced MC (Memory Controller) and going to a higher freq, 1600 is basically entry level for IB, if going 1600 would look for a high performance set (CL7 or CL8) or for a bit more go ahead and go 1866. While it may only add a frame rate or two in gaming the faster and more DRAM might come in handy with even Word, definitely PP if using large data sets, etc.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Solved with Followup Question

Exactly the information I needed. Thank you Tradesman

I am going with a G.Skill DDR3 1600 8GB from New Egg, but I will wait for Memorial Day sales to come out. The more money I save on everything else means a greater portion of my budget can go towards the graphics card.

Here is the board I have: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/...n.php?S_ID=579

Question: You suggested the 1866 as a posability, but the MB says it supports DDR3-2600(OC)/2400(OC)/2133(OC)/1866(OC)/1600/1333. Does the "OC" mean it only supports the 1600 over clocked to 1866?
      I never considered anything higher than 1600 untill you suggested it.

Comment

No and in a way yes. DRAM is sold at rated specs, i.e. when you go and look at the actual sets of DRAM in 1333, 1600, 1866, 2133, et al that is what they are actually rated for and designed to run at. What you see when you look at a mobos specs, (like you listed above with the (OC) parameter added can be confusing - what the OC actually means is that the CPU and system itself may REQUIRE AN OC in order to run at the specified Frequency of the DRAM....i.e. for you to run 1866 with your 3450 would entail using turbo-boost or straight OCing the system, this is why I tossed in 1866, which is faster/has greater bandwidth, as most will utilize turbo boost.

The Intel CPUs have a strong MC, but for you to fully utilize higher freq DRAM like 2133-2600 I'd suggest going to say a 3570K or one of the 2X00K models. Was just thinking for a slight bit more can get and use 1866 which is faster and has the wider bandwidth, and also if you decide to upgrade the CPU in a year or so rather than go with a whole new build, if you go to a K model (which are unlocked and capable of 4.2 to 4.8 GHz, then with the 1866 sticks can also bump them - most 1866 sticks will actually OC to 2133 fairly easily, so it helps future proof your system.

Sorry for the long answer, but many see what you did and think the DRAM itself has to be OCed to reach the rated specs (i.e. think all DRAM is 1333 or 1600), when it's actually the system (CPU) that needs to be OCed....can get additional info in a couple of posts I wrote in the discussions area:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10565

If any other questions or any of this isn't clear, give me a shout, I now at times I don't always put things as clearly as I'd like...................but I do try

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Mystery Solved

Thank you for the thorough explanation

Very informative, very helpfull. I have always like G.Skill products and now I have anouther reason to go G.Skill

I will see what I can grab in the Memorial Day weekend sales.

Comment

Currently they have a special on Trident X

http://promotions.newegg.com/Gskill/...%2f696x288.jpg

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X