Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH Compatible with ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH Compatible with ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

I am about to purchase RAM for use on the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard using an i7-3630K CPU.

I am interested in the G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 2133MHz RAM in either 16 GB (4X4GB) F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH or 32 GB (8X4GB) F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH. The Ripjaws site indicates both will work on this MOBO. However, the ASUS site does not list this RAM on the QVL. It appears that the ASUS QVL is outdated and not accurate.

I have read internet web site comments that this RAM, being higher than 1600 speed, may/will not work well with the MOBO specifically because of the Intel chipset limitations. Another sales person said it could void my MOBO warranty. As I do not know for a fact what the truth is, I need your help!

When I contacted ASUS support on the phone, they said they did not have any info related to the above RAM and I should contact G.Skill.

So my questions are:

1. Are both of the G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 2133MHz RAM in either 16 GB (4X4GB) F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH or 32 GB (8X4GB) F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH compatible with the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard and Intel i7-3630K CPU?

2. Will there by any problems with my warranty of the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard and the Intel i7-3630K CPU?

1. Yes, the Z series of Ripjaws is designed specifically towards the X79 chipset and 2011 socket, which is your mobos specs, it utilizes XMP 1.3, the new version, which is only available in the socket 2011 mobos (yours).

2. No

Asus obviously hasn't even tested this motherboard which is suppose to run XMP 1.3 with sets of DRAM that are XMP 1.3 yet, what they have tested with, is whatever they had available, and if you take a look you'll see they tested (in 2133) with among others GSkill Tridents (haven't been around in a long time) and PIs (not available), in other speed they tested with Tridents and Flares (neither of which is currently being made), they don't show any of the newer Ripjaws Z or Ares models. Also, among those on the list are the 2133 Ripjaws X model, which is the predecessor of the RJ Z line, the Xs were designed for the 1155 and (then) New Gen CPUs.

Another thing, when they say it could void your mobo warranty, that's normally something that comes from running DRAM that's doesn't fall into the boards ratings, yet this is rated up to 2400 (faster than your 2133) and the board is rated for 2133 32 GB of RJs X.

In short, you are perfectly fine, though I would suggest if thinking towards the 32GB, then go ahead and get it to start, if you get a 16GB set and then decide to upgrade, getting another 16GB set can be problematic, XMP won't work with two sets so it would have to be set up manually, and at the faster freqs, two sets are less likely to play together nicely

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman! Fats response with the info I needed. Much appreciated!

Comment

No problem, let us know what you choose and how you like them, and for the record, I'm like you, a member here, not a GSkill employee (though that would be nice), I enjoy helping people and by helping the members, the members help me keep up with all the hardware out there and it's idiosyncrasies
        Last edited by Tradesman; 04-17-2012, 05:34 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

If you tell Intel you are using this memory, they will not be happy with RMA. Intel only supports DDR3-1600 max, because they follow the standard. This also protects them from many RMA.

So for any reason you need to contact Intel, you need to say you have DDR3-1333 CL9 or DDR3-1600.

For ASUS, you need to tell them you have something on their QVL list, otherwise they will say.. "Sorry! Not compatible!"

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me with what we hear form board makers support that these buffoons can manufacture something as complex as a motherboard.
            I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Comment

Lot's of good mobos, but they need programmers to write good BIOSs that will let the components interact with the mobo....DRAM can be the trickiest....which, with Intel is fairly simple...set it up to work to XMP, but they seem to just rush the mobos and the BIOSs out the door - would be extremely helpful if they would actually test that their BIOSs work, but again it seems they just rush it out, we are seeing more and more mobos that are fine with basic DRAM, but then you get to 16GB and up and 8GB stick sets and 2133 and up freqs.........and just seems like they ignore those and tell everyone to go to the DRAM manufacturer...seems like if they are going to advertise 2133/32GB of DRAM, they'd at least make sure it works

Tman

Comment

I contacted ASUS support several times before purhcasing my MOBO, graphics card, sound card and RAM to ask questions. The responses I received were severely lacking in intelligence and useful information. It seems that their support staff do not pay attention to the details in the emails (e.g, the MOBO and graphics cards models) and then provide uninformed comments and suggestions. I am not impressed with their so-called support. I wanted to get all ASUS components to the maximum extent as they have a good reputration, to ensure that they would all work well together, because I am too familiar with mixing different manufacturers parts supposedly built to industry standards, that turn out not be! I am annoyed with ASUS for not updating their QVL list of RAM for their MOBO! Their support reputation is dropping to near zero in my estimation based on my experiences.

Comment

Doug from my experience you can add ASRock and MSI to that list two.
                  They should just have their own people to develpe BIOSes instead of Megatrend, Award or others supply it.
                  My ASUS P8Z68 RAM QVL lists a whole 28GB sticks for it.
                  I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Comment

Hi Britton30.

Thanks for the additional info. I think it would likely result in a longer list if other were to chime in too, unfortunately.

There is no point or value of a MOBO manufacturer having a QVL RAM list for its MOBO if it does not maintain the list. There is no excuse for this behavior.

Comment

Might look at this thread and offer feedback if you think it needs to be expanded on and if so will do my best

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman for the additional info on RAM.

This evening I bumped into another problem. My OCZ Vertex 3 SSD will not fit into my Corsair 800D case (not into the 3.5 inch bays at the bottom, nor the HDD SATA drive bays). It seems that either one or both of these manufacturers are not making products that will be compatible with the other one, nor convenient for users to assemble.

Comment

For the moment, you can set it on a piece of cardboard or similar in an empty slot, then might want to look at NewEgg Canada under HDD, HDD Accessories, where they have SSD mounting brackets for 3.5 or 5.5 drive slots, they got like the Rosewill RX-C200P for like $6, I sort of like the IcyDock MB990SP-B right now for $12 w/ a $5 rebate on top of that.

Tman

Comment

I'll chime in, especially on MSI, I won't even touch their motherboards anymore. I also agree the QVLs are worthless if not kept updated, but would even more like to suggest they test the DIMMs at the rated speed rather than the motherboards default. With Intel they should test under XMP which they don't as evidenced here and at other DRAM makers sites, where people buy DRAM and XMP doesn't set it up correctly due to improper programming of their UEFI. Then they blame the memory makers and send people to them rather than provide support, as they should, they are the ones advertising their motherboards to be XMP enabled.

Comment

Thanks Tradesman for the tip and link info.

I agree with you Intelguy that they should be testing the DIMMs at their rated speeds on their MOBOs. I suppose the only way they will do so is if it becomes law (i.e., more red tape according to some people, which I find is often necssary to keep manufacturers honest!) or if they get sued and have to pay a price for their "lies".

Comment

Working...
                              X