Phoenix Pro 120GB continuous problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Pro 120GB continuous problems

I just had my third Phoenix Pro 120GB SSD fail with the system not recognizing the drive - either the BIOS or W7 64. I had this system built 16 months ago, I use the SSD for the OS and all of the programs, utilization is about 40GB out of 120GB. The SATA interface on the MSI mobo is AHCI, and the W7 config is set for an SSD, no RAID. A fairly simple & straight forward config.

Over the past year+, I've had the same basic failure - the drives perform well and suddenly become unrecognized. GSKILL states that the controller failed. I've gone through the RMA replacement process twice, and the replacement drive also failed - same symptom. After 3 failures, I just can't trust these drives.

I installed an Intel 520 a few months ago, so far it's working well. I just configured my PC with the last Phoenix Pro replacement drive as the backup (clone), hopefully I'll get a few months of use from it.

IMO, it seems GSKILL needs to get the Sandforce controller sorted out with their SSDs. I'll further add that Intel provides a very nice tool box with their SSDs that measures drive health, wear, optimizes performance, etc.

Hi DougJ

we are really sorry about that you have so many issue with the Drive, also will take your advice to the headquarter. and will ask the RMA department take care your case, cover the shipping cost, would you mind giving another shot?

Comment

I really appreciate the effort and offer. My concerns are basically that I believe I'm using the SSD in a fairly typical configuration & environment. After 3 failures, if nothing has changed with this particular SSD model - hardware or firmware - I wouldn't expect another replacement to perform differently. Consequently, I'll pass on a replacement. This was an expensive exercise, with some lessons learned, time to move on.

Regards,
      Doug

Comment

Me too

Well I've had a RMA returned to me and I've installed the replacement drive and I'm getting all sorts of instability with the drive. If it fails again then I'll have to buy another drive and I'm afraid it wont be a G skill unless they can release some firmware update for the Phoenix Pro that fixes these instability issues. How can the controllers keep failing on these drives? Surely the replacements you send are quality tested? Please sort this out.

Comment

What motherboard are you using, and which AHCI drivers, MSI isn't the best in the world at keeping the drivers updated, had a similar problem with OCZ SSDs and turned out to be the MSI mobo and outdated drivers, I went through 2 OCZ SSDs, changed to a Crucial and the same thing happened, think it was the P67 65 model

Comment

Working...
          X