is my Falcon 128gb dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my Falcon 128gb dying?

I posted this in another forum, but got no replies. So i am just going to copy and paste below what i have already said, to save me typing it all again.

I recently had to format my SSD as it would not boot to windows (7). Files were corrupt and start up repair options wouldn't do anything.

Ok so i installed windows, worked ok until i had updates, rebooted and logged in to a black screen which i checked on google that it's a fairly common update issue with MS.

Got around it, back in windows but some things were sluggish like I.E like almost completely freezing after opening. So i formatted again.

Installed updates no problem, rebooted once and went straight to a startup repair and it said it fixed a corrupt registry.. what?

back in windows again, working fairly normal except when i went to Computer folder it searched for my drives and they didn't show till the green loading bar went right to the end.
    Shut down normally, it installed more updates before it. Started back up today to find it going straight into start up repair again!!

it just says attempting repairs, repairing disk errors. which it's been stuck on for over 30-40 mins with no sign of activity.

Just to give more info on this i should say that i upgraded the firmware on my drive twice, and wiped it before the first format.

is something up with my SSD or is it windows?

before i first formatted i was getting long 30 second (roughly) complete freezes, which i assumed was due to the corrupt windows files. That hasn't happened since, but look at all the problems i've had.
    SSD life showed 24% health before fw upgrade, 99% after.

is the drive dying? i had it around June 09. So while it's not really new it's not exactly too old to be dying this fast.
    Last edited by Welsh Jester; 12-23-2011, 01:17 AM.

Dear Customer
    Sorry to hear that, what is the OS you have on the SSD before Win 7? you may try to install the OS which was working properly before to avoid the incomplete/ missing file of OS. if the Window 7 was working properly before, you may please either try the SSD if you have another system or install individual memory module at a time until the OS is installed and updated properly. and are you Overclocking? And do you have another hardware such as Hard drive/ Memory you can try to narrow down the issue from motherboard/ memory/ SSD/OS ? the memory/motherboard/overclocking may cause freeze as well,please feel free to let us know how it goes, we are glad to assist you anytime, thank you

Comment

Before win7 i have vista, yes i am overclocking but i saved those settings and loaded defaults in the bios and have now reinstalled windows 7 on the ssd again. I am not sure the overclock was 100% stable anyway as in a year i had around 3-4 bsod's (rarely) in stress tests it seemed ok though.

I have installed updates so far and have managed to boot into windows a few times successfully. I have not done too much on it yet except looking online with Internet Explorer, however i have had a few freezes in it which could be related to something else if not the ssd. The other thing i noticed was after installing windows and updates i had left the room for a little bit and came back to a black screen, which again could be related to windows as there is a known sleep mode bug (i have no idea).

The only thing i can do is keep using it until something happens again, the problem is i don't know if there is something wrong with the ssd and there are no programs to test it with. I have a feeling it could be faulty because of the problems i've had so far, though i am not 100% sure.
      Last edited by Welsh Jester; 12-30-2011, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I just restarted and got to windows startup repair again and it fixed a corrupt registry.

Don't think there is anything wrong with my 64bit Win7 DVD, it is genuine and i didn't have any problems with it until it started acting up on the ssd.

I could install Vista on it but i'm not sure there is any point. This seems to be going in circles though as in i install win 7 and a few other things like games, updates and after some reboots it goes to startup repair and then fails to boot into windows later on.

My next 1+ reboot(s) could end up in not being able to get into windows again.

Comment

Sorry for so many posts, but maybe a G skill tech user can tell me if there is anything i can do to test my drive with?

I am still getting freezes in I.E, and even when UAC is asking permission for some program. I believe there is a problem with it.. and now it is out of warranty

it makes feel a bit wary of ssd's.

Here is a screenshot of a HD tune scan i just performed.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
          Does this mean i should stop using it completely now?
          Last edited by Welsh Jester; 01-01-2012, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Dear Customer
            Did you try to install one module at a time to avoid the issue from the memory? the faulty module might cause freeze as well. and you may try cristalmark or HD tune for SSD test, memtest for memory test, please feel free to let us know how it goes, thank you

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
              Dear Customer
              Did you try to install one module at a time to avoid the issue from the memory? the faulty module might cause freeze as well. and you may try cristalmark or HD tune for SSD test, memtest for memory test, please feel free to let us know how it goes, thank you
              Check my last post, i edited it and added a picture of HD tune error scan.

I have not tried one memory module at a time yet, but the HD tune error scan found some damaged blocks on the ssd.

Comment

Dear Customer
                Sorry about the quick replied since i was not able to see the picture you have attached. You may please backup all of the important data you have on the SSD drive, secure erase
                the drive after, and re install firmware 1916, then 2030 to see if the errors still occurs and avoid the possibility of miss judge from the HD tune, if the problem still there, you may please consider about cotact rma@gskill.com for warranty replacement.
                if you like to send the picture you may please contact us at techsupport@gskill.com, thank you

Comment

Following the emails i sent you, i tried installing something and every program but the mouse just froze up and the disk activity led on my case stayed lit solid. Computer restarted automatically after a little bit and after a long pause got an error that the disk was inaccessible.
                  I think it's safe to say the drive is either now dead or definitely failing.
                  Last edited by Welsh Jester; 01-03-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Hi Welsh
                    Did you re-install the firmware? is there another system available for you to try it as data-drive? you may please try it with different SATA cable/port to see if it works after, and is the drive is recognized in the BIOS?

Comment

Working...
                    X