Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got back a 64GB Falcon II from RMA but it seems to be DOA!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got back a 64GB Falcon II from RMA but it seems to be DOA!?

Hi all.

Backstory: Used a Falcon II SSD in a Samsung R580 for about a year with zero issues until the OS started to crash and become corrupted. After a few weeks of reinstalls and troubleshooting it was identified that the SSD was at fault; apparently a common issue that a number of other people were also experiencing around the same time. Sent off the drive for RMA replacement and got the new replacement SSD last week.

Current situation: Installed the SSD into the notebook PC, went to install Windows 7 x64 onto it and noticed that the installation failed after it had finished unpacking the install files with the error along the lines of "Cannot write data to disk". I restarted the system and was given the message that the system could not detect the disk.

I then restart the system again and found that from then on the system would not POST if the SSD was attached. As soon as I remove the SSD the system will POST and then give me a message that there was no disk attached (obviously).

If I put in the backup HDD that we have been using for the past few months in the system it will boot fine. I tried installing the SSD in a different notebook (Dell Inspiron) and the same issue occurred (would not POST and cannot access BIOS if the SSD is attached).

I then tried installing the SSD into an external enclosure where it will show up in Windows as a drive with a bunch of Windows install files on it. However when I try to read/write to the drive it will give me an access error message. I also tried running Crystal Disk Mark cycle on the SSD as an external drive but it gives me a "read error" message after a few tests.

SO.. after many weeks of mucking around testing the original drive, and then finally sending it off for RMA (having to pay $20 for postage too!) it seems I have been sent another faulty drive right out of the box. I am willing to give benefit to the doubt though, so please suggest any way that I can further test/repair this drive before I get on the blow horn about this. I think I have been pretty thorough about how I have tested this drive, but when I can't even access it properly there isn't much I can do. It seems to be DOA to me.

I got this for my girlfriend's notebook on a recommendation, so I feel like a bit of a ****** for causing her such an amount of hassle with all this. Please help!
    Last edited by elstado; 11-25-2011, 05:29 AM.

Either the SSD ist defect again, or you have not enabled ahci-mode in BIOS eventually?
    Board: GA-Z77-D3H CPU: i5-3470 GPU: MSI GTX 660 FPB RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1600 OS: Win 8 Pro 64 Cooling:[/size] SSD: Samsung 470 (128GB) * GSkill Phoenix Pro 120

Comment

Originally posted by Delgado View Post
      Either the SSD ist defect again, or you have not enabled ahci-mode in BIOS eventually?
      AHCI is enabled. Keep in mind I was using the Falcon II SSD on this Samsung notebook without any issues for a year before it started to cause issues. Right now it doesn't even let the computer pass POST. In an external HDD it also comes up with errors.

Not sure what else to do. It should be plug and play.

Comment

Hi elstado,

we are sorry to hear that, please try the drive with other system, if the drive is DOA, we will cover the shipping expense and replace it for you. sorry for the inconvenience.

Comment

I've tried the drive with three different systems, two notebooks and one desktop PC, I can't POST with the drive attached. When I attach the drive as an external drive I get access errors.

I emailed RMA support on Sunday night but haven't received a response yet.

Should I email again with this drive's serial number? I really need the replacement before the 6th of December before my girlfriend leaves.

Comment

i will contact them for you, and helping you for the replacement!

Comment

Hi,

I've sent an email to the RMA department and have spoken to Benny Lee.

I've been told to return the drive to RMA using the same RMA number and to charge it to the freight collector to cover the postage costs. Will have it packaged tonight and sent tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X