THE Wiper thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi,

I'm using Windows 7 RC x64 bit as well. wiper.exe ran well for me also even though I found out Win' 7 was supposed to run TRIM automatically. Though, there is no way to tell if wiper.exe really did anything.

I was also told you can not use wiper.exe on the same drive which holds the operating system when it is a 64 bit system, but that's not true in my case. I successfully ran wiper.exe from the same drive as the OS and rebooted fine -- unless they were talking about a MAC Operating System, or maybe wiper.exe didn't actually work for me at all.

Anyways, I'm not going to run wiper.exe because Win' 7 does it automatically.
    Last edited by razzlejon; 06-18-2009, 08:34 PM.

Comment

hi everyone,
      im runin wiper.exe under Windows 7 RC 7127 x86 OS, but it always show this kinda msg

Anyone can help?

Comment

Originally posted by microking4u View Post

Also make note any crippled SATA II controllers that are downgraded by manufacturer like Lenovo to SATA I, the bandwith is too small for this drive. You will get slight lockups on occasion for a few seconds.
        that sucks about the t61. I got a t400 and am glad to report falcon 128 + t400 works great, drive runs at full speed and win7 x64 is running incredibly, I think it runs a newer chipset (and wasn't locked by lenovo this time round)

Comment

On topic, I just used wiper.exe on Win7 rc1 (build 7100) x64, on the Lenovo t400 with a 128 gig falcon on 1571 firmware. It showed no errors, just looked like it worked ok. Everything was good. However, when windows was restarted, it got errors and it kicked straight to startup repir. Startup repair could not fix the problem, it wanted to run chkdsk and was reporting a heap of file problems in various system dlls and such. Chkdsk didn't fix the problem either.

Prior to running running the aptly named wiper.exe, I had done a system image backup, so I used system restore with that (choosing to reformat and repartition hd), fortuanately, all restored after that.

I would definitely NOT recommend running wiper.exe on a config such as above, would be best to wait until a firmware or windows 7 update where windows plays nice with trim natively. (have read a few articles about win7 trim not working with 1571 indilinx drives, whos fault it is, I don't really care, but am sure it will be sorted in an update at some point)

Cheers -Mike

Comment

Just tried wiper.exe again, this time ran it off a usb key, after booting up with vista 32 bit recovery console, worked great. I guess if you have a lenovo (drive was in AHCI mode fwiw) this would be the best way to run it. Not saying this is perfect, so backup first

in win7, backing up a 7 gig db on standard lenovo 5400 rpm hd took 8.5 minutes, on ssd after a few weeks of doing crazy big backups/restores, took 4:50, but after running wiper it took 1:50. Massive speed increase. This thing is a dream.

Cheers -Mike

Comment

Wiper the SSD or each drive?

With a 128GB SSD divided into several drive letters, is it necessary to use wiper on each drive letter, or just run from any one of them?

Comment

Found an easy way to setup this SSD "wiper" for macs following these instructions to make a bootable CD with the files from this thread. Hope others find it useful. http://www.jinx.de/teclog/Entries/20...n_my_SSDs.html

Comment

hey guys

I have got the 128GB falcon but have not updated to the latest 1571 firmware.

my experience with TRIM so far:

setup:
                  AHCI + RAID enabled
                  1x 128GB Falcon
                  2 x WD in RAID-1
                  2 x WD in RAID-0

I do not wan to disable RAID as I am afraid I will loose all my data on it.

I ran TRIM and it said it complete, however, I lost EVERYTHING so I had to re-image my OS (made a backup b4 I ran it) , thing is that its now SLOWER !!!! so I am not sure what really happened here ...

Comment

there is no way around it when it comes to using wiper for raid setups. You have to break the raid up and install OS on the individual drives to wipe them. I had to do this after 3 months as i was losing half the performance of my raid. As with smaller capacity SSD you will never recover the full performance because windows vista or window 7 already take up 10gb of storage. I got a cousin who has 30gb OCZ vertex and he had to do the same thing. So 10gb for OS all he could wipe was 20gb on each drive and when the raided them again performance was not the same as new.

Comment

Working...
                    X