Phoenix Pro vs Vertex2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Pro vs Vertex2

In the interest of fairness to G.Skill and accurate information I have revised this post. I have retested everything and it turns out I cited numbers for a used Phoenix Pro 60 instead of the new Phoenix Pro 120 and that was a mistake on my part, therefore a revision of this post.

I tested a BRAND NEW 120 Phoenix Pro and a fairly new Vertex2 60 for the critical 4K write with ATTO and get these results:

NEW Phoenix Pro 120 (firmware 4.2) 4K write = [begin edit] 172,176
    Used Phoenix Pro 60 (firmware 4.2) 4K write = 50,176 [end edit]
    Fairly new Vertex 2 60 (firmware 1.25) 4K write = 166,985

A pair of Phoenix Pro 120 in RAID 0 using Win 7 striping with block size of either 4K or 64K is not much faster for 4K writes.

Pair of Phoenix Pro 120 in RAID 0 4K write = [begin edit] 176,136 [end edit]
    Fairly new Vertex 2 60 (firmware 1.25) 4K write = 166,985

Win 7 striping is however dramatically faster tha a single drive for transfer sizes above 4K. ATTO shows 2048K write = 507679 and read = 552841

As for the poor numbers of the Phoenix Pro 60 I would guess it is due for a secure erase. I will post as I find out for sure.
    Last edited by skitron; 09-17-2011, 11:24 AM.

Hi,

we had test as you mentioned with a whole new Phoenix Pro 120GB, but the "write" speed is better than Vertex. our Phoenix Pro is 173,287!

Comment

OK so YOUR brand new drive works fine, then what is the way for me to achieve such speeds on MY brand new drive?

Remember, the Vertex2 works fine so we cannot blame my system.

Comment

See my revised post above. G.Skill is correct with their numbers and I had posted numbers for the wrong drive. My apologies to G.Skill.

Just FYI for Adobe Premiere users. While retesting I discovered a dramatic improvement when using a single drive for the scratch drive. AVI rendering for PPBM5 benchmark dropped from 156 seconds to 100 seconds by formatting the drive with 4K blocks instead of default. I also tested it at 64K block and the benchmark ran 156 seconds. Unfortunately formatting at 4K did not help when using Windows 7 striping.

Comment

Working...
        X