Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Pro 120 GB failed due to S3 ?

Hello Everyone,

I've had a Phoenix Pro 120 GB SSD since Nov '10 (9 months) that was functioning fine till last week when it would not be recognized by the BIOS and went belly up (sent back to G.Skill for replacement).

I recently re-installed windows on the drive after a fresh format and by default it enabled S3 'hybrid' sleep meaning S3 + hibernation. Given that my system has 8 GB RAM, if the system went in and out of sleep 4 -6 times a day it would average no more than 50 GB write a day (worst case) which means over a week it had about 350 GB written to it: a lot, I know, but is that enough to cause it to fail? Prior to the install, the drive had 640 GB of lifetime writes on it (checked with OCZ SSD Toolbox) so it had a total of 1 TB writes till failure.

So here is my question: is it the S3 sleep that caused the issue or the fact that is was 'hybrid' sleep with the excessive writes? I know there has been some discussion on sandforce issues with S3 but what is the latest on this? My drive was upgraded to the latest firmware (4.X) a few months back and was running solid till this....

My system is a Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 with a Core i5 2500k.

Should I avoid any kind of sleep on the replacement drive?

Either way, if S3 sleep is such a major issue, it should be more prominently displayed/discussed yet the official position from sandforce appears to be that S3 sleep is still supported.

Running a 1.5 TB WD Caviar Black right now and while it is one of the fastest hard drives around, I still miss the Phoenix Pro Nothing beats a sandforce ssd in boot times

All helpful ideas/suggestions are much appreciated.
    Last edited by sidm2k11; 08-22-2011, 11:24 PM.

Hi,

using too much of S3 sleep will wasting the life of your NAND flash, as you mention 8GB each time(that's a lot...) will absolutely cause some issues someday.

Comment

Working...
    X