Upgrading from v2.1 to v4.2 worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from v2.1 to v4.2 worth it?

My SSD is currently running Lion on my 2011 Macbook Pro (as Apple Seed beta tester), is there any benefit of upgrading the firmware on my Phoenix Pro SSD?

There seem to be a lot of complaints or issues with anything above 2.1, and was looking for any insight on if it was worth the effort or not.

Thanks.

I would really like to know the answer to this question as well. I'm running 2 phoenix 60gb pro in raid 0. Thanks!

Comment

I can't be bothered with synthetic benchmarks - but I do always run WEI after updating the firmware, and I can tell you that after going to 3.2 (from 2.1), my score went up from 7.5 to 7.7. Going from 3.2 to 4.2 has produced no calculated speed boost. That said, I have also never ever had any firmware related troubles after updates. Sometimes the firmware doesn't really focus on speed but rather stability or other performance related improvements - it's typically a really good idea to update.
      AMD Phenom II X4 965BE @ 3.8Ghz
      Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (Rev 2.1)
      Gigabyte GV-N56GOC-1GI GeForce GTX560 @ default factory OC (830/1660/4008)
      8GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 4x2GB @ 800Mhz
      Corsair 650TX psu
      Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
      G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 60GB SSD (firmware 4.2)& 5.5TB combined HDD
      Windows 7 Pro x64
      Samsung P2770 via DVI
      Case air cooled
      BIOS and drivers always up-to-date

Comment

well, yesterday i took the gamble.

i had to boot from a windows boot cd on my macbook, and follow the instructions to repartition it to a windows format, then upgraded to 4.2

after which i booted off my Lion boot usb drive, and reformatted the drive again for Lion, after lion installed, i manually enabled TRIM.

After all is said and done, i think there is some speed improvements over 2.1, although i didn't do any synthetic benchmarks, it 'feels' a bit, not much, faster.

Comment

Updating Phoenix 120go Normal version 2.1 to 4.2 worth it too??

Originally posted by matthewe79 View Post
          My SSD is currently running Lion on my 2011 Macbook Pro (as Apple Seed beta tester), is there any benefit of upgrading the firmware on my Phoenix Pro SSD?

There seem to be a lot of complaints or issues with anything above 2.1, and was looking for any insight on if it was worth the effort or not.

Thanks.
          Hi all,

I am a user of G. Skill SSD Phoenix 120 GB S-ATA II not the pro version for about a year for my desktop PC performance to performance.
          I have updated there is now almost a year to version 2.1 because at the time with version 2.0 I had some slowdowns.
          Until now this version 2.1 I am quite satisfied but I have not really made ​​of synthetic benchmark
          Now I wonder if this update is worth it for my version of my SSD is the earlier.

Thank you for your help

Freud

Comment

where can i find the link to the latest firmware 4.2 for sniper 120 gb series?

Comment

Hi,

here is the link: http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7273

Comment

Working...
              X