Phoenix EVO 115GB Freezes in Window 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix EVO 115GB Freezes in Window 7

Hi to all. I am a users of SSD and I just bought a Phoenix EVO 115GB and installed it in my PC.

Everything was okay when I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I installed the drivers and programs that I need.

Now here is the problem, I ran my 3D Studio Max 2009 64bit and after working with my project for 30-45mins. my monitor suddenly hangs(freezes) and I can't move my mouse and keyboard. The only solution is to restart it. This happens always every time I start my PC which ever program I open.

Here is my PC specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Motherboard: MSI P6N SLI V2 - (I think it doesn't support AHCI)
    Vcard: 2 x Ndivia 250gts
    RAM: 8 GB Kingston
    HDD: Phoenix Evo 115GB and 320GB Seagate Barracuda

I need your help in configuring it. If my PC can't support the SSD then I might as well swap it to a 10,000rpm HDD which is more reliable.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by chobs; 06-06-2011, 11:43 PM. Reason: Typo error

Hi chobs,

Please move "virtual memory" to your 320GB Seagate Barracuda.
    Don't let "virtual memory" on your SSD.
    The issue should be solved.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
      Hi chobs,

Please move "virtual memory" to your 320GB Seagate Barracuda.
      Don't let "virtual memory" on your SSD.
      The issue should be solved.
      Thanks for the quick reply. I will try this later.

I also just downloaded Intel RST files. Is it still needed? Or it will just be an option?

My apologies if questions are too basic. I'm not that much knowledgeable in any advanced configuration or over-clocking. I'm just a typical heavy PC user. Thanks

Comment

Hi chobs,

Intel RST driver is not needed.
        you can use Intel driver or windows standard driver.
        It is up to you.
        Just remember to set AHCI mode.
        But Intel driver had a problem with Sand force controller.
        If you use Intel RST 10.0 driver, upgrade tool can't recognize SSD.
        You have to change to windows driver.
        Just let you know it had this issue.

Comment

Hi chobs,

Intel RST driver is not needed.
          you can use Intel driver or windows standard driver.
          It is up to you.
          Just remember to set AHCI mode.
          But Intel driver had a problem with Sand force controller.
          If you use Intel RST 10.0 driver, upgrade tool can't recognize SSD.
          You have to change to windows driver.
          Just let you know it had this issue.
          Oh that's good. I don't have any intentions in using the Intel RST driver anyway. It'll just make things more complicated for me.

For the AHCI mode by the way, I checked my motherboard using PC Wizard and I says it does not support AHCI. I also double checked it in the BIOS and it does not have any settings that says AHCI.

How will this affect the SSD or performance/stability? I read some threads that says if I have no AHCI, it won't support TRIM even if it is provided by Windows 7 already? And TRIM is needed right?

Comment

Hi chobs,

that's fine if you don't have AHCI mode, hot swap will not be supported with your board but that still work when normally using your SSD.
            and here is the information aboutTRIM: http://communities.intel.com/message/76357

Comment

Hi chobs,

that's fine if you don't have AHCI mode, hot swap will not be supported with your board but that still work when normally using your SSD.
              and here is the information aboutTRIM: http://communities.intel.com/message/76357
              Ok.

I already tried to transfer the virtual memory on my other HDD but it still hangs/freezes.

And after I restart my PC, it can't recognize the SSD already. I have to wait couple of minutes to restart my PC again so that it can recognize it.

Anybody experiencing this? Or this is common to Phoenix EVO?

Comment

Still freezes...

Any solution for this? I am still getting random freezes even if I transfered the virtual memory in my other hard disk.

Been working in Photoshop then it hangs. I am not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this. Or is my chipset incompatible with it? A straight truth answer would really help.

Comment

hi chobs,

can you send it for RMA? please send a email with a link of this thread to rma@gskill.com
                  and we'll contact you immediately. sorry for the inconvenient!

Comment

Hi,

i have same problem to.

I installed the "G.Skill Phoenix Evo 115Gig" and first all works fine. But after 30-45 minutes windows hangs ( no blue screen, it freezes ).

I use the SSD as Cache with Intel Rapid Storage technologie.
                    Both, as cache or in single mode, the "freezes" occurs ( it seem's it is depend on how many data are transfered ).

Is a solution available ? The hard disk is new and if there is no solution, I need to change this to another (send back in given time).

My system data:
                    "Asrock Fataly Z68 Prof Gen3" ( last BIOS 1.20 )
                    "Intel Rapid Store Techn." ( last driver 10.6.0.1022 )
                    RAID Mode ( precondition for RST )

( 1x 750gig WD black System,
                    1x 750gig WD black Data,
                    1x 500Gig RAID Seagates )
                    ( Nvidia G570, i2600K )

Windows7 Prof

Greetings
                    Micha

PS.: Sorry for my bad english

Comment

hi,

can you clean the SSD and re-update the firmware again? also, please select AHCI in BIOS.

Comment

i had never done a firmware update before. The SSD was delivered with firmware version 4.2 .
                        Why i should overwrite this original fw version, is a newer version available ?

If so, where i can find documentation about: 'how i can do an firmware update'. I can not find any informations about this on the g.skill homepage.

Greetings,
                        Micha

Comment

Hi,

just like people already have windows but sometime they will re-install again. but you can also try to enable Rapid Storage LPM from default, and try again.

Comment

Hi,

i now disabled LPM, but it also not works fine. After a time x windows7 hangs

Tried this for Sata-Ports 0-5:
                            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]
                            "LPM"=dword:00000000
                            "LPMDSTATE"=dword:00000000
                            "DIPM"=dword:00000000

I can not use the AHCI-Mode with Intel Rapid Store Technology. I need Raid-Mode.
                            The Intel Driver i already re-installed.

"chobs" should send an RMA.. what is the result of the RMA ? Is the problem from "chobs" done ?
                            My problem is: i have a brand new SSD and windows hangs. Without this SSD in my System all works fine. What can i do ?
                            If i make a firmware-update and this fails then i lost the warenty !
                            ( and on the SSD is the newest Firmware already installed )

Greetings
                            Micha

Comment

Update:

now my computer works more than four hours without a freeze..

I change the settings in "energie save mode" - "HDD Power Down Time" : Default is 20 minutes, i set this to 'Never'..

I am hopeful

Greetings
                              Micha

Comment

Working...
                              X