Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Pro with nForce 430

Hello,

I have installed an 40GB Phoenix Pro with 3.2 Firmware on a ASRock AliveNF6G-GLAN mother board. It is recognized OK, but errors arise when trying to install an OS (this drive has been tested OK on another machine). It seems also there are abnormal delays in reading the drive.

This MB is equipped with an NVIDIA nForce 430 chipset that is supposed to support SATA II, NCQ and "hot-plug" (altgough tehre is no mention of AHCI in the specs).

Can this drive be used on such (quite old) configuration ?

Thanks

Hi mrechte,

Did you install windows XP ?
    XP need to install south bridge driver first.
    Please contact ASROCK to assist you how to install south bridge driver.
    ASROCK support

please check SATA RAID driver--installation guide

Do you partition this SSD before install OS, please remove this partition then install OS directly.
    Last edited by G.SKILL; 04-11-2011, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your attention.

I am using Linux not Windows.

This same MB has no problem when installing on a usual SATA disk.

Comment

Unfortunately, the only nForce chipset that i'm aware of that supports AHCI is the 980a chipset...

AJ

Comment

Thanks AJ. But does this SSD disk requires AHCI to work ?

Comment

SSD's do not required AHCI to work HOWEVER....

Please correct me if i'm wrong...

You will not get TRIM support which means a sooner decrease in performance if your doing a lot of writes to the drive... I'm not sure however if Linux even supports TRIM...

AJ

Comment

Thanks AJ,

The vital TRIM function is supported by the Linux OS starting with 2.6.33 kernel (available early 2010). The ext4 filesystem is supported when mounted using option "discard". The most recent disk utilities (and therefore installation software that make use of them) do also apply proper partition alignment.

from wiki ^^

Comment

Asrock (the MB supplier) advised to update BIOS to latest version. Unfortunately it has not solved the problem. This MB (AliveNF6G-GLNA) or chipset is therefore incompatible with this Gskill SSD.

Comment

Please correct me if i'm wrong... Regardless of whether or not Linux supports TRIM, if he can't run the SSD drive in AHCI or RAID (under certain configurations) mode, the system isn't going to be able to send TRIM commands to the drive?

So his only option really is going to be a raid configuration... but i'm guessing this is the problem he's referring to with regards to the previous post...

AJ
                  Last edited by AJCroteau; 05-04-2011, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I found this link on how to set TRIM under Linux (kernel >=2.6.33)

https://sites.google.com/site/lightr...orssdsonubuntu

Also this article may be interesting regarding AHCI need for TRIM:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives

Regarding my MB, I wish to add that it has no defects: it has been used for several years (home server always online) with different HD drives (up to 2 TB) without any problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X