Sniper SSD 60GB Not Detected in Shuttle PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper SSD 60GB Not Detected in Shuttle PC

I have a Shuttle XPC SG31G2 with an Intel G31 chipset that does not support AHCI. The system does not detect the drive at all. I can attach a regular SATA 2 drive like a WD and it
    finds it just fine, it also finds older SATA 1 drives. I have looked all through the BIOS and there is nothing to force IDE mode on the SATA but I am assuming it does this by default since it does not support AHCI in the chipset.

Any thoughts on how I can get my system to recognize the drive. There was nothing in the description or specs to say this drive would not work in my system. Right now it is just a small black brick. Thanks in advance for any assistance. The drive is at Firmware 3.2

AHCI should be somewhere in Integrated Peripherals. If you mean to use eSATA drives by switching IDE to AHCI in the BIOS after Windows (whichever) has been installed, this will not work. You need to enable AHCI, in the BIOS, Save & Quit BIOS, reboot machine, begin OS installation, then you need to add the AHCI Drivers at the beginning of the the OS install. If using XP, you need to add it when prompted to press the F6 Option. If using Windows Vista/7, you need to add it during the setup phase where a Dialog Box pops up and the install process asks where to install the OS. You need to look in that section for a Load Drivers Link near the bottom left of that Dialog Box. You then need to add the AHCI drivers and proceed with the OS install.

Hope this helps you out Coo1enuf
    ASUS Rampage II Extreme▐ Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield ▐ ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm▐ G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ▐ (1) G SKILL SNIPER 120 SSD (OS) (1) Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB (storage)▐ EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti SuperClocked Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, Overclocked ▐ Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V▐ COOLMASTER HAF 932 Case▐ WINDOWS 7 HOME 64

Comment

AHCI not supported

Thanks, but that does not help. The shuttle motherboard uses the Intel G31 ICH7 Base 82801GB controller and only supports enhanced SATA not AHCI in the version used on the motherboard. There are no options to select AHCI. I checked this using HWINFO software and it confirms no AHCI support.

Well, did some more research on the net, gotta love Google. Anyway this chipset is part of the Intel 3100 I/O family and G.Skill apparently does not support it yet fully.

So G.Skill when can I expect support in your firmware for my chipset. My retailer will not give me a refund so I have a useless drive. It would have been nice if you had told us in your description you do not support the Intel 3100 chipset and I would have delayed purchase till you do. You make good products otherwise.
      Last edited by coo1enuf; 02-23-2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Coo1enuf who is your retailer ? if it is within the 30 day purchase they should take it back.

also I hope gskill will be able to help you on this lol.
        ASUS Rampage II Extreme▐ Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield ▐ ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm▐ G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ▐ (1) G SKILL SNIPER 120 SSD (OS) (1) Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB (storage)▐ EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti SuperClocked Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, Overclocked ▐ Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V▐ COOLMASTER HAF 932 Case▐ WINDOWS 7 HOME 64

Comment

I purchased it from newegg. They will only replace not refund. I already did the RMA request but that is not going to buy me anything really.

I am trying to get another couple of years out of the system before I do my next build. The system has 4G of 1066 RAM and a Q6600 quad core processor along with a nVidia 9800GT 512M video card. It is still a decent system but having the SSD drive as my boot/applications drive would really speed things up and give me the most bang for the buck. I do not do any high end gaming just video conversion and it is very speedy for that.
          Flight Simulator X runs great.

Comment

Working...
          X