Sniper SSD Bad or No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper SSD Bad or No?

I recently purchased a Sniper series SSD from Newegg.com and was excited to install it on my Alienware Aurora Micro ATX Desktop. I didn't mount the drive at first just plugged my Sata 2 Connectors in and disconnected my 1TB Hard Drive. I installed Windows 7 x64 Home Premium and moved to update the firmware. Updated the firmware to 3.2 and the computer blue screened. I restarted the PC per the instructions and the drive booted fine. I installed all of my system and device drivers without any problems. The drive booted really fast and was working perfectly. I installed 2 games and they installed very quickly and easily. I rebooted the PC again and this is when the problems started.

I was browsing through some files and folders in Windows Explorer and all of a sudden my computer froze. I thought that this was very odd and had to do a hard shutdown. On the reboot the BIOS froze up at about 3/4 of the way through POST. No Boot Device Found error on the boot attempt. I turned the computer off and unplugged the drive. Waited a minute and plugged the drive back in. I turned the computer on and went into the BIOS and the drive was there but when I exited the BIOS I again had the No boot device error message.

I am aware that this issue has been reported and I have scoured the web in search of a fix for the infamous BIOS hang and No Boot Device. I had the drive less than 24 hours and it never booted again. Noone has offered any meaningful answer or reply only to say RMA for another drive that causes the same problem. I need to know from G SKILL what is causing this infamous problem. This drive had all positive reviews on Newegg but it has been nothing but horrible for me.

I have an Alienware Aurora Micro ATX Desktop that is brand new and performs well with an i7 930, 12gb ram, intel chipset, nvidia gtx460, esata, etc.

Can G SKILL Please offer me an answer as to why this problem is occuring with not only their SSD Drives but OCZ's SSD also? Something is wrong and it seems like a compatability problem or something wrong with the Sandforce Controller but this is a brand new Desktop and shouldn't have any problems handling a SSD drive.

Possible Upate. I got a new SSD from Intel and installed it with no problem. Drivers installed and everything went as planned. The only thing that I did differently in this install was not install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drivers or RST Drivers. Being as these are designed for RAID it is better to use the built in Windows 7 AHCI Controller than the Intel RST if you just have a single driver.

Can anyone confirm or deny if RST drivers work without a RAID setup on the Gskill drives?

Comment

Hi guys,

Actually I have to say Sandforce with Intel driver are not good combination.
      so use Windows standard driver is better.

Comment

Working...
      X