SSD Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD Trim

I recently installed a Phoenix 80GB SSD on a relatively old machine with no AHCI option, I was wondering if there will be some form of "wiper.exe" utility that will keep my drive from degrading eventually?

Would it be better if occasionally I installed on my other machine running windows 7 and AHCI capable and follow the steps (in the other thread) to enable the TRIM: Using the Microsoft AHCI driver and some registry entries changes.

Thanks in advance!

Hi icedeocampo,

Right, if you can install other machine installing windows 7 and AHCI capable is better.
    This SSD is be designed for AHCI mode so its performance is better than IDE mode.
    Windows 7 can support TRIM command automatically.

Comment

Would you be releasing a utility that we could use to manually "trim" the drive?

Comment

Actually we don't have this kind of tool.
        this SSD supports TRIM but only Windows7can support trim.
        so it is depend on OS.

Comment

gskill

I am using windows 7 but on ide mode... will trim work for this?

OCZ has been (or is) working on having a Trim Utility that can work on Windows XP.

BTW, Trim works not ONLY on Windows 7 but on several flavors of Linux as well.

Comment

Originally posted by icedeocampo View Post
            BTW, Trim works not ONLY on Windows 7 but on several flavors of Linux as well.
            To be specific:
            Linux swap has supported TRIM from about the 2.6.33 kernel onward. This is automatic - no setting required.

The following Linux file systems take a poorly documented "discard" mount option to enable TRIM:
            ext4, gfs2, nilfs2 ,btrfs, vfat.

When using mkfs to create an ext2/3/4 file system on an SSD, avoid the -K optin which prevents unused block release.

===

Linux hdparm can be used to manually TRIM blocks, but any user error can be disastrous to data - it is not recommended.
            Last edited by steveea; 03-01-2011, 08:35 AM.

Comment

you seem to be ignoring the fact that I am using the drive in IDE mode.

Comment

Suggestion

Would this tool:
                http://www.somacon.com/p336.php
                (Description)
                http://www.somacon.com/p337.php
                (file)
                assist with maintaining performace of your SSD?
                The script is designed to write zeroes to the the freespace
                of a HDD.....

Comment

Hi WaxCyl,

we don't recommend using this tool, it just write zeroes, it will affect your SSD's life.
                  it is not secure erase, the tool we suggest is magic parted, this tool will not affect flash life.

Comment

Working...
                  X