Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I disable Windows Search and Disk Indexing with Pro 120 GB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I disable Windows Search and Disk Indexing with Pro 120 GB?

I have been going through many tweaks and gudies for getting best performance and longevity from my new Phoenix Pro SSD. I unckeced "allow files on this drive to have contents indexed" from the drive propeties, but I see Windows Search service is still running. Since this is a newer generation drive, should I enable the "allow files on this drive to have contents indexed" feature again and leave Windows Search on? Want to make my drive last, but also want it to be stable.

Also, I saw in a tweak that I should check "Turn off Windows write-buffer flushing on the device". Is this still recommended?

Many tweaks I see were posted before the new Sandforce 1200 SSD were even made so looking for some new advice. I got most of my advice from http://thessdreview.com/optimization...ation-guide-2/.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I also use Norton Internet Security 2011 if that matters and I do not use Windows Search much.
    Last edited by bgarrant; 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM.

Yes for search and indexing.

Yes for write buffer flushing, but only if you have a backup power supply. I'm on a laptop so I have battery power to fall back on, so I have it checked.

Also turn off prefetch and superfetch. These were meant for standard HD's. SSD's do not need this.
    ASUS G73JH-RBBX05 | Intel i7 920XM | 8GB (2GBx4) PC3-10600 | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 | 1920x1080 LED | 120GB SSD G.Skill Phoenix Pro | 500GB HD | Intel 6200 Advanced-N | Windows 7 HP 64Bit

Comment

Windows Search and System Restore

SInce I have turned off Drive Indexing, wouldny WIndows Search be disabled on that drive anyway? I have another HDD and I would like to leave it on for that drive as that is where most of my data is kept.

Also, I have left on System Restore just in case of a majopr issue but have set the size to 5% or 5GB. Is that OK?

I set the Page File to a set amount (2GB) and left the TEMP files on the SSD for performance. My WEI scrore is 7.6 which seems pretty good right?

ANy advice on above tweaks?

Bryan

Comment

Norton Internet Security

If I disable indexing and Windows Search will Norton scans still function?

Comment

Yes. I just tested AVAST antivirus and it runs fine.
          Motherboard - MSI 870A Fuzion
          CPU - AMD Phenom II X2 555
          Main Drive - G.Skill 120GB Phoenix Pro
          Memory - G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 8GB 2x4
          Video - ATI HD 5850
          Power Supply - Corsair 550W Modular

Comment

Working...
          X